Uncle Ben

Almost instantly, Tony noticed there was something wrong.

Peter wasn't his normal, exuberant self. He was more reserved. It was unsettling. Tony wanted to crack a joke about it, but from the shadow overcasting the kid's face, it didn't seem like the best time.

They worked in silence for a half hour or so before Tony couldn't handle it anymore.

"Okay, kiddo, what's up?"

Peter looked at Tony in surprise. "Huh?"

"What's with the lack of a word vomit? Are there no new Star Wars lego figurines this week? Comic Con's right around the corner, you gotta be excited for that."

Peter looked back down at the table, eyes sunken. "Oh."

"Oh? That's all you're giving me? Last week you were babbling for an hour about a kid in your math class that briefly mentioned Firefly in a conversation and now all you have is-"

"Uncle Ben died a year ago."

The room went deathly silent. Tony regretted ever talking.

"Oh, Pete..."

"Can we just work on this?"

A pang went through his heart and he immediately dropped the conversation. The two went back to work in silence, until Tony heard a quiet sniffle from Peter's direction. He looked over and saw Peter's hands were shaking, tears streaming down his face and eyes blown wide.

"Peter-"

Tony pulled Peter into a hug and Peter sobbed into his chest. His shoulders bobbed and his whole body trembled under Tony. He put his chin on Peter's head and held the kid tightly. Peter clutched on to him for dear life with muffled whimpers and sobs.

"I miss him. I-I miss him- so much-"

"I know, I know," Tony said, sounding like he was going to cry himself. He rubbed the kid's back in a fruitless attempt to comfort him.

Peter continued to cry into his mentor's arms. Tony wanted so bad to take the pain away.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled.

"Don't be."

Peter stared at the table with reddened cheeks. Tears still stained his face.

"Here, hows about we quit working on this and go do something? Watch a movie, order some food, whatever you want kiddo."

Peter thought about it for a second. "I-I just kind of want to go home."

Tony nodded in understanding. God, this kid.

"I'll call Happy, he can drive you."

Peter hesitated before pulling Tony into another hug. "Thanks," he whispered.

Tony didn't like physical contact. He didn't even hug Rhodey often, and he never liked those touchy-feely moments. But something about this kid made it feel natural, as Tony tangled his hands in Peter's curls and felt the kid's weight on him. It gave him a surge of energy to protect him from everything, it made him not want to let go.