Under the Hood - Part 4

Peter didn't understand the words being spoken to him.

"Fired?"

His boss took the cigarette out of his mouth and held it between two fingers as he blew the smoke out. "Fired, Parker."

He paused, staring at the guy's murky brown eyes.

"Why?"

He frowned. "You're late every day, you fall asleep on the job, you barely even do the work!"

Peter winced at his harsh tone and hunched his shoulders. "I... I work two other jobs... I don't have a single day off... I try my best sir, I really do--"

He put the cigarette in his mouth and blew another puff in Peter's face. "I don't need excuses. I need you to get out of my office."

Peter felt tears well up in his eyes, his lip trembling. He needed this job. He barely made enough money for food and rent as is. "Please, I..."

"Out." He shouted, pointing to the door.

Peter walked home on shaking legs, his head held down and his hands in his pockets.

It's not fair. It's not fair.

He had been at this routine for months, but god, it felt like years. He was an emancipated teen living in one of the rougher parts of his city. He had three jobs -- well, two -- to keep afloat. He had lost weight. A lot of weight. He skipped meals more often than not. His fridge was usually empty. His hair was grown out, he didn't have the time or money to get it cut. He had two outfits he had to wash every day. He never worked out anymore. He never did anything. He was just a machine living in a cog.

Halfway to his house, he pulled out a cigarette. His boss used to offer them to him after a breakdown during work. He started accepting the offer. And god, he hated it. Hated the smell, the taste.

He couldn't get enough of it.

He grabbed a lighter and lit the cigarette, inhaling the smoke and then exhaling it. His tears started to dry up. The trembling stopped. He was in a blissful daze again, just like he wanted.

He finally got to his apartment and fumbled for his key before opening up the door. Empty and dark. He threw the cigarette to the ground and stomped the flame out, then turned on the light. The stray cat that hung around the apartment was lounging on his windowsill, licking her paw.

Peter dropped his things and ran his hands through her fur. She purred softly and closed her eyes.

"I got fired." He whispered to her. She didn't react beside the slight twitch of the ears. "What happens now?"

He stopped and pulled away, going into his bedroom and lying on the bed. He reached for his phone and pulled it out, staring at the lockscreen for a moment.

Him, Tony, Happy and Pepper.

He should talk to them again.

No. No. He turned off his phone and dropped it onto the floor. He brought the covers over his face and sighed shakily. He was so tired of this. He just wanted it to stop. But he didn't know how.

"Yes you do." He muttered to himself, hugging a pillow close to his chest. "You can make it stop."

But he wouldn't.

He sobbed and buried his face in the pillow. Sleep came rather easily.

The doorbell was ringing.

Peter processed the fact dully as he pried himself out of bed. Who the hell was at his door? He didn't have any friends here. Who would have found him here?

He looked at the door and swallowed. It couldn't be. No, it wouldn't. It's not him.

He shakily put his hand on the doorknob and opened the door. He wasn't ready for what -- who -- he saw.

"...Riri?"

The girl smiled a bit sheepishly, leaning against the doorframe. "Hey, Pete."