Under the Hood - Part 2

A/N: I genuinely did not expect people to like that chapter so much, much less ask for a part 2. Don't worry, I'm still working on the requests I have, but I was just excited to continue this.

———

From: Tony Stark

Peter. What you did was completely selfish and immature. We need to talk. You acted out of line.

Call me when you see this.

Peter, talk to me.

[Missed call from Tony Stark.]

I wasn't trying to replace you with Riri. I mourned you every day.

I love you, Pete. You know that.

Just talk to me.

I can't lose you like this. Talk to me and we can work this out.

I understand that you're mad. But please don't shut me out. I want to help you.

[2 missed calls from Tony Stark.]

Riri would have loved to be friends with you. She was so excited to meet you.

Don't be mad at her. She had nothing to do with it. This is my fault.

Please answer me.

[5 missed calls from Tony Stark.]

Peter, please.

***

"So... that's it, then? You're done with Spider-Man?" Ned asked sadly. He was sitting on Peter's bed, watching as his friend angrily packed a suitcase.

"I never said that." Peter snapped. He balled up his colorful Avengers t-shirt almost violently and shoved it into his bag.

"But, you're done with Mr. Stark, and you were like his sidekick—"

"I am nobody's sidekick." He fumed. "Spider-Man is a hero in his own right, big billionaire backing him up or not."

Ned looked away. "This isn't like you, Peter. At all. What happened?"

He wrinkled his nose and blinked incredulously like he was just insulted. "What happened? I was forgotten about and replaced, that's what happened."

"You know that isn't true. Mr. Stark—"

"Tony doesn't give a rat's ass about me, Ned."

Silence dragged on for a moment. Ned knew it wasn't true, Tony loved him more than anything. How could Peter possibly think...?

"Peter, I don't know what's wrong but you need to calm down. Not everyone is against you. You're overreacting and deflecting your own problems onto a girl that did nothing wrong."

"Overreacting?!" Now he was really angry, Ned could tell. "You don't get it! Tony's a guy who can get anything he wants. If he loses something, he'll replace it. I can't do that. I lost everything. I lost my parents, my uncle, my innocence, my life, I should've known he wouldn't want a kid with nothing. I've been to hell and back and have nothing to show for it. Not even a mentor who cares."

Ned didn't miss the quiver in his voice or the trembling in his fingers. He didn't speak again, not wanting to upset his friend even further.

"I'm... I'm leaving, Ned. Not forever. Just. I need time to myself."

"What about MJ and May?"

He grit his teeth. "They won't need me. God knows no one else does."

His face hardened. He knew damn well that was a lie. "Peter, stop."

Peter sighed, seemingly giving up on the fight. "I'm sorry, Ned. I have to go. It isn't your fault."

Silence, again. Then.

"What if I come with you?"

"...No. Ned, you have your parents, and Betty, you can't just drop everything." His rational side peeking through, if only for a moment. He wouldn't even turn to look at him.

"Yeah, and why not? It's what you're doing."

Peter finally looked at him. Glared at him. Though, he couldn't find it threatening as there were tears gathered in them, seconds from spilling over. Then he just... stopped. Gave up. Ned didn't think he'd ever seen the will of one person flee so quickly. It was as if his soul just left his body, leaving nothing but a shell of its former self.

"Please don't come, Ned. I need to be alone."

Ned didn't speak up again as Peter finished packing, despite how bad he wanted to.

Because he didn't want Peter to be alone.