Rogues

Requested by @ImQueer13!

(This isn't anti-team Cap, it's just v protective Peter and Tony.)

———

The Rogues were coming back.

Okay, okay, no big deal. Definitely not. Sure, they didn't leave on a good note. But hey, this was a chance to fix that. Rogers was a reasonable man — usually. Tony had nothing to worry about.

"Dad?"

Except that.

He looked up from his workbench to meet the eyes of his teenage son. The kid he just wanted to protect, keep out of this mess and stay far away from anything that could hurt him.

Ironically, he'd originally sought out Peter Parker as a teammate. Someone to run into a battle, knock out a few little guys, and run back out. Tony hadn't even meant to keep in touch with him after Germany. But when he called Tony from the hospital, a sobbing and grieving mess, explaining that his aunt was gone and he had nowhere else to go — he couldn't just turn him away.

It was supposed to be temporary, apparently. But suddenly Peter was his adopted son of three years and the best thing to ever happen to him.

"What's up, kiddie?" the mechanic answered with a patient smile.

"They're... um... Mr. Rogers is here."

The happy feeling faded and was quickly replaced by the gnawing fear of the Rogues. He shouldn't be afraid of them, they were friends. Old friends. Who had a bit of a falling out. Not a big deal at all.

Oh fuck it, he was terrified.

Peter must have noticed his hesitation because his face morphed from uncertainty to sympathy. "If you want, I can tell them to leave."

"No, no, just... stay here. I'll handle it."

He stood up and started making his way out but Peter put a hand on his shoulder and gave him a nervous look.

"You don't have to see them, you know." his son tried to reassure. Tony could tell he was worried.

"I'll be fine. Go to your room and vape, or whatever you kids do." he smiled. Peter chuckled a little, sounding somewhat forced, before retreating back up the stairs.

Okay. No more hiding. He inhaled sharply and put on his usual unbothered facade. Squared shoulders, lax face with any emotion hidden behind his sunglasses. He tried calming his racing heart as he boarded the elevator to take him to the room the Avengers were in. Something about them being under the same roof as him — as Peter —made him sick to his stomach.

Nevertheless, he had to do this.

He opened the door to the conference room FRIDAY informed him they were in, and had to hold back his face crumpling in embarrassment and anger.

"Stark." Steve nodded, face showing no clear emotion. Bucky was to his right, with Sam to his left. Around the table sat Clint, Wanda, Nat, and Scott.

It was almost funny. If he tried hard enough, he could imagine they were still friends. That nothing happened.

But Tony forced his idealistic imagination down as he reminded himself what they'd done. He cleared his throat and mumbled out a greeting as he sat at the end of the table.

"Do we really have to sit around the table like this? I mean, we lived here. Plus your lounge room is much less cramped." Clint complained. He emphasized his point by wiggling his shoulders a little showing how close he was to Sam and Wanda.

(Admittedly, he could've picked a bigger room.)

Tony's eyes flickered to Bucky for the shortest of moments. "I don't think we're there yet."

"Stark, I know things are... tense," Steve started, "but we need actual space to work this out. We swear, we won't do anything."

"Pinkie promise." Nat interposed with amusement.

Tony gave the room a sweeping glance. He trusted these people, didn't he? They were his friends. Sure, they were annoying at best and downright bubonic at worst, but... they were good people.

"Okay," he breathed out finally. "Okay."

All he could think while he was escorting them out of the room into the commons was, what am I doing?

They sat down on the couch — like they used to — and for a long time no one spoke. Until Steve caught something Tony hadn't.

"Who's...?" Steve asked, looking over Tony's shoulder. Tony turned to where he was looking and his heart jumped to his throat.

Peter was standing in the kitchen, frozen, mid-grabbing some of those flavor blasted Goldfish he forced Tony to buy him. His eyes were wide like a deer caught in headlights.

"Peter. I told you to go to your room." Tony hissed.

"You didn't say they'd be in our kitchen!"

"Please go upstairs."

"No, wait, who is that?" Clint suddenly interrupted, smirk on his face. Tony felt bile in his mouth.

"Nobody. Pete, this doesn't concern you."

"I'm his son." Peter answered for them. His face steeled as he looked at them, only showing emotion for Tony.

"What?! Since when did you have a kid?" Scott gaped. Tony wanted to curl up in a ball and hide.

"Oh my god, we were gone longer than we thought. Peter Stark, huh?" Nat chimed in. Peter seemed to grow more frustrated, Tony only grew more anxious.

"It's Peter Parker-Stark." Peter corrected. Why, why is he still talking to them?

"Peter, you need to leave—"

Peter crossed his arms and acted like Tony didn't exist. "And what right do you have walking into our home like you own the place?"

Tony's whole world was crashing on top of him. He never, never wanted this to happen. Not since he had taken the kid in did he ever want him to meet the Rogues. He wanted to protect him from them.

Realistically, there was a low chance anything would happen to him, but the memories of Siberia, of his parents—

If anything happened to Peter... it hurt too much to think about.

Someone was speaking to him but they were underwater. Or, maybe he was the one underwater.

"—ad? Dad?"

Someone grabbed at his hand. Before he knew it his feet were moving and the world around him shifted. Warm hands on his shoulders. Hands on his face. Shaking. Arms around his middle.

"Dad!"

Peter. That was Peter. He was repeating comforting words Tony often said to him during a panic attack. A weight on his shoulders lifted at his son's voice. He let himself be enveloped in a hug and released a large breath.

"I'm okay kiddo. Thank you, thank you." he mumbled.

He looked up and realized he was in another room, and more importantly, that the Rogues were gone.

"Where are the others?"

"I may have... scared them off."

Tony laughed and Peter's face flushed. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, I knew they were freaking you out. So I told them... somewhat passionately... about how you needed space right now and how they should maybe never come back."

Well. That was — great. The Rogue Avengers turned away because they were cursed out by Iron Man's son. He wasn't sure if he should be proud or mortified.

"I'm sorry. I just — I hated it. How they were making you anxious. I know I should've stayed out of it."

That made something in Tony's chest tighten. He stood up against his childhood heroes just because they made his dad upset.

Tony would go to the ends of the earth for him. Sometimes he forgot that Peter would too.