this is me trying

A/N: Since it's not mentioned in the story, Peter is 5 in this.

He could hear the clicking of heels from behind him. Then, a familiar voice.

"You're really doing this."

He couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a question — she didn't phrase it like one. He turned to face his girlfriend and kept his eyes confident. "Yes."

Her eyes stayed trained on him, eyes shifting like she was looking for something on his face. Some doubt, hesitance, maybe even regret.

Tony had none.

"I need you to think about this, Tony."

"Boom. Thought about it. Still doing it."

"This isn't a joke."

"I'm as serious as a heart attack, Pep."

"That's what I'm worried about."

"Just because you think I shouldn't do it-"

"I'm not saying you shouldn't do it." She said impatiently. "I'm just asking you to think about what you're doing. Tony, this is huge. You can't make impulsive decisions without thinking it through. This is gonna change your entire life — like it hasn't already changed enough. With everything going on... do you think it's best for him to be with you?"

Tony scoffed at that. "Right, because Tony Stark is just a fucking mess who can't take care of himself, let alone a child. Forgot about that."

"You know that's not what I mean."

"Then what do you mean? Because I wouldn't be taking care of Peter if I didn't think I could." He could change, he would change for him. Peter was worth it. If taking care of the kid meant he had to quit the Avengers and never get into a suit again — he'd do it. No matter what it took, he'd do everything for this kid. For his kid.

"I'm doing this, Pepper. No matter what you think about it." No matter what anyone thinks about it. No one else matters but Peter.

***

"Peter Parker?"

The voice was soft and kind, but it didn't do much to calm his twitching nerves. He was honestly surprised he hadn't thrown his guts up yet.

He just lost Ben. He didn't want to move in with strangers. What if they were mean like his old preschool teacher, or didn't let him stay up late to watch TV?

Trembling, he took the lady's hand and walked through the grey and drab hallway. The words kept repeating in his head, please let them be nice. Please let them be nice. Please let them be nice.

They walked into the main lobby, where different adults were sleepily talking to each other and the man behind the desk typed away at his computer.

"There he is, kid. Go say hi."

Blinking in confusion, he looked around for a minute. Who—?

Oh.

What?

Tony was there. Tony Stark — Iron Man — was standing right there, waiting to take him home.

He looked like he hadn't noticed Peter either. He kept one hand in his pocket and used the other to scratch at his perfectly trimmed beard.

He gaped at him for a full minute before Tony noticed him. His face visibly brightened when they made eye contact. "Hey, you little ankle biter. Is it okay if you stay with me for a while?"

Peter couldn't even find the words. He had so many questions, but they all died on his tongue. He just nodded.

"Good. C'mere, kid."

Tears stung at his eyes and he smiled up at Tony. The hero bent down and opened his arms for Peter to jump into. He nuzzled his nose into the crook of his neck and Tony laughed as he pressed a kiss to the kid's curly hair.

"You ready to go?"

He sniffled. "Uh-huh."

Peter felt himself being lifted and balled up his hands into fists around Tony's shirt. He looped his arms around his neck and let him carry the boy to the car.

The drive home was quiet, but not uncomfortable. Peter rested his head on the window so his hair was squished against the glass and stared at the city lights. They didn't feel so welcoming anymore.

He could feel Tony's intense stare without having to look at him. He was looking for something from Peter. Approval, reassurance, something that told him this was the right idea.

Peter couldn't give him that. Because he didn't know either.

But he trusted Tony. He always has. If Tony thought things would be okay, maybe they really would be.