chapter 14 ; dine and wine

A.N : So this story was #1 under #klayley for around 10 days and today it's #3 ! AND it has 1k+ reads now! i cannot begin to tell you guys how grateful i am ! THANK YOU ❤️
happy reading ❤️

Hayley's pov :

After a little chat with Matt and after handing my phone over to him, I walked back towards the booth where Klaus and I were seated at. As I approached, I caught him smiling to himself. I closed in and slid into the booth. "What's with the smiley face now?". I asked and he picked his chin up to let his eyes meet mine. He grinned and replied, "I don't know, you tell me". He playfully smirked and I rolled my eyes in response. "You eavesdropper". I said and jerked my head playfully. He chuckled lightly. And I found it cute. Control yourself, Hayley!  I inwardly scolded myself. I never would've thought I'd be sitting opposite the devil in disguise, Klaus Mikaelson, waiting to have dinner with him.

I emerged in my thoughts from which Klaus woke me up by calling my name out twice. "Hayley, where is your mind? Are you alright? Is this some ungodly hex again?". He enquired with a worried expression. He was eventually becoming paranoid about my situation. More than I was. I can't even say I was that scared. With Klaus around me, I felt safe. In my subconscious mind, I thought that he'd protect but in all consciousness, I knew I couldn't be dependent. "Klaus, it's fine. Relax. I'm right here with you". I said, involuntarily squeezing his hand again. He looked down at our hands and then placed his piercing gaze on me. It was as though he was looking through my eyes and my soul. I shivered under his piercing gaze. "I know. I'm just worried, Hayley. Those witches and whoever else was involved were dangerous. I've been around for over a millennium and I have felt or seen magic as strong as that only a handful of times". He said and I nodded in acknowledgement. "Wow. Guess I am pretty special then". I replied and shrugged. "Well that's because you are special. You are the last living  Labonair which makes you the strongest Alpha alive. And the pack from which you belong is the strongest werewolf pack, both in history and in existence. You need to find your pack, Hayley. You need to carry on the great legacy of the Crescent wolves". He said and I listened with eyes wide open. Of course I listened even when the witch back in that castle said too. But I had been too exhausted to absorb any of the information. But now I did. "Are you an Alpha too? And does your pack too have an extremely ancient sounding name like mine?". I asked and didn't spare the hysterics. He chuckled and said, "Yes. I happen to be an Alpha too. Because my biological father was one. So technically, I am the rightful Alpha of my pack but since I hadn't been in touch with my wolf side for all of my time in this earth, I never got the chance to claim my position.  And I don't know if I plan on doing so either. And my pack would be the North Atlantic pack". "Wow. That's intimidating". I said. "No, love. You're a stronger Alpha than me. Doesn't matter if I am the Original Hybrid". He said and I replied in surprise, "Wait what? You're part vampire so basically you're stronger than any average werewolf". "Yes I am. But you're the stronger Alpha. And you're werewolf royalty like we're vampire royalty. So you're a Queen. The only of your kind". He said. I couldn't believe it. Till the previous day, I was a nomadic,orphan werewolf with no supposed family and now, I'm the werewolf Queen. I said, "It's a lot to take in. I'm the Queen and the other Alpha is challenging my position. I get it". He nodded and said, "Yes, little wolf. And that's why, you're not safe alone. He might attack at any moment. And I'm worried about you". "Why does he want to challenge me though? I mean without me the Crescent pack is basically lost right? And on top of that, why are you wanting to help me? Aren't you an Alpha too? Wouldn't me getting taken out be beneficial for you?". I asked with curiosity written all over my face. He smiled and replied, "It's because he feels threatened by your mere existence. You're that powerful. No wonder I sensed something different about you. And to answer your last question, No. It won't benefit me in anyway. I don't feel threatened by you, nor I have any interest in getting involved with my pack. I'm sure they have an Alpha serving them". "Oh. And why are you not threatened by me?". I asked and he replied, "It's because I know you will never harm me unless I have done something terrible to you. And it's the same reason as to why you are not scared of me like the others are. It's because you know deep down that I'll never hurt you either". He said and a soft smile made its way across my face and looked down to hide it. I looked back at him and found myself under his adoring gaze. My heart melted a little more than it already had at the incidents of the last two days. "And why's that?". I softly asked. My voice came out softer than I thought it would. "I don't have an answer honestly. It just is. And I believe that some things that happen are better left unquestioned". He said and our eyes met. It might sound cliché but at that moment, I felt like there was no other soul in that room other than just the two of us. "Yes". I said so softly that I think he wouldn't have heard me if not for his super-hearing.

"Right. Let's order something, shall we?". He said and I nodded. I flipped through the menu and decided on a Russian Salad. "Seriously? Russian Salad? How's that gonna quench your hunger? Please order something else. Something food-like". He said and I couldn't help but let a laugh out. He raised his eyebrows questioningly and I replied, "Funny coming from a person who does not even survive on something food-like". He rolled his eyes. "Okay, I'm mortal and I gain weight and you're a thousand years old and you don't gain or lose weight because....well you're technically....you know". I said, the last part rather quietly and discreetly, earning a laugh from him in response. He leaned in closer and replied mocking my tone, "Do you mean to say, "dead" , love?". I lightly slapped his palm and he mimicked getting hurt. "Hush. You don't want anyone to hear you, do you?", I said and he chuckled once again. Somehow that made me smile. "Anyways, order something better please. You don't have to worry about maintaining that figure of yours. It's fine the way it is". He said and began flipping through the menu. But what he said, it made my heart flutter. Control yourself, Hayley!  I inwardly told myself once again. But it wasn't being of much use. He was winning me over. Every part of me, gradually. I had never met one like him. And I doubted I ever would. He was different. A selfish asshole to everyone but the literal opposite of that to me. And it felt so genuine. I felt safe and at home with him and a part of me knew it wouldn't last forever but I hoped I never lost it, I hoped it never ends maybe because all of my life, I hadn't felt it.

Klaus' pov :

After a bit of harmless and fun bantering, Hayley decided on a pizza out of everything and I decided to have the same as well and we both ordered some wine. I was surprised at myself. If it would've been some other person, I would've left long ago. But I was getting way too comfortable around Hayley. She was different. Her fearlessness, independence, wit and smartness had me intrigued and awestruck. She was like no other I've met in my considerable time on this earth. I felt like I needed to protect her and it came so naturally. I felt like that because I did not want to lose her. I was finally feeling something other than fear, frustration and rage. And I wasn't going to let that go. I just hoped she felt the same because I wasn't going to let her go. I was going to treat her better. I was going to be a better version of myself. All this while, I never felt like I needed to be good because no matter what, everyone would run away once they would find out who or what I was. I was feared. But Hayley wasn't afraid of me. She felt rather safe around me. She felt safe around the devil. She made the devil be his best self around her. The little wolf indeed was special.

Dinner was served. Hayley took in the aroma and made a pleased expression. I raised my eyebrow questioningly and said, "It doesn't smell that great". She shot back, "To you. What a pity they don't have blood as a topping". I chuckled. I couldn't win against her. She began eating and so did I. Suddenly, a while later, she glanced to her left. I followed her gaze and landed on a family. A couple with two children. All happy and giddy. I turned my gaze back to her and she seemed to have sensed it and looked back at me. "You know, when I was fourteen, a few of my friends and I went to one of our friends' dad's cabin for a few days in summer. We played 20 questions. One of them asked what I wanted when I grew up. I answered, "I want a gentleman to love me for who I am and I want kids with him". How clueless we are as kids. With no idea of the real world and how it works". She said, sipping some of her wine and let out a sad sighed. "It's not something unrealistic or abnormal you had asked for. You're young and beautiful. You deserve to find someone who loves you and starts a family with you". I said. "Correction, I'm young, raped and an abnormal creature. At 19. It's pretty much the end for me. I'm never having a life close to normalcy". She said, sadness laced in her voice. "You were raped. That doesn't define you. That's the activity of a sick bastard. That defines him". I retorted. She scoffed and said, "No man will as much as look at me after knowing what happened to me and what I am. It's imprinted on me for life and nothing can help it". "You're wrong, love. A person who loves you, just loves you. Unconditionally. They don't care about what you did or what happened to you in the past. They love you for who you are in the moment you are with them. You're a beautiful and strong woman and you deserve nothing but the best". I said, unable believing my own words. She just gave me a small smile and we carried on with the dinner.

A.N : i don't even have words to apologize for being so late 😀 SORRY Y'ALL 😭

📍 Also check out my new klayley book. It's called "the ruse". It's an AU fanfic based on Netflix's Bridgerton 📍