Chapter 4

I stared questioningly at Greyson. "What happened to me?" One temple started throbbing.

"You fainted. My momma ran to get some smelling salts. You had us all concerned." He rubbed his thumb over my knuckles.

I was mortified that I had fainted with everyone watching over me, including Mark West. Could this day get any worse? Ava still wasn't convinced I was alright. She suggested canceling the picnic.

I interrupted her. "I'm fine. Maybe I got too warm. Don't send everyone home on my account."

Greyson agreed. "He scooped me up into his strong arms and placed me on a comfortable reclining chair. It took all I had to keep my composure and act unaffected. He had a woodsy scent and was devastatingly handsome up close. He picked me up like I was a feather. I could have fainted again, just being in his arms.

Ava handed me a glass of ice water and a small plate of food. "Thank you Ava."

"Of course Darlin. Is there anything else I can get you?" She questioned in a motherly tone.

I couldn't help but notice Mark. He was there with an unknown woman. They were apparently the two guests we were waiting for. I had not seen him since he broken our engagement. He walked out of my life one year ago, without an explanation. I didn't know if he still lived in Dallas. I tuned out anything having to do with him.

Greyson was observant. As he took my plate, he whispered close to my ear. "What's wrong? Are you feeling okay?"

I answered quickly. "It's a long story. I'd rather tell you in private. How was I going to get through this picnic? The young woman with Mark was introduced as his fiancée. I think now, I really was going to faint.

I woke up in the most luxurious bedroom with a vaulted ceiling. I was resting in a bed, with sheets that felt like butter. There were lots of throw pillows and a cashmere blanket was draped at the foot of the bed. The walls were painted a pretty cream color. They were complimented by furniture and accessories in rich creams and gray, beautiful neutral shades. Across the room were two wingback chairs by a massive window. I imagined it having a lovely view of the ranch. This space was amazing.

A knock at the bedroom door, startled me. "Come in." Greyson, Ava, and Andrea walked in with a doctor.

"What happened, and why am I lying down in this room?"

"You fainted again, and I brought you here to rest." Greyson explained. "Momma and Andrea were with me for propriety," He added with a smile.

He really is a gentleman.

The doctor gave me a quick checkup and didn't find anything wrong. "Is it common for you to faint, Miss Prescott?"

"I have never fainted before." I blurted out.

He suggested that I stay overnight at the Carrington's ranch to get more rest. He was erring on the side of caution.

"But I need to go home. I have nothing to wear to stay overnight." I argued. "This was not in my plans."

Ava shushed me. "You are staying overnight and that's final."

Greyson chimed in with a smirk on his face. "It's best not to argue with my momma, she always wins."

I had no choice in the matter. I saw Ava's determined expression, and something in Greyson's face that made me give up after the doctor left. It was no use arguing.

Ava put her hand under her chin. "I'm sure I have some pajamas you can wear tonight and a sundress for tomorrow. I don't have a beautiful shape like you do, but I'll find something." She had a gleam in her eyes.

Greyson cleared his throat, reminding his momma he was still in the room.

Ava looked at him innocently. "I was only stating the obvious. Which shouldn't matter to you. Self-proclaimed eternal bachelors aren't concerned with things like that. You are thirty-two, but whose counting?" She pecked his cheek.

I wonder what she's up to?

Greyson and Ava finally left the bedroom once they were convinced I was alright. I was now alone with my friend, Andrea. "What am I going to do now? Mark knows the Carringtons?" I questioned out loud. He has definitely moved on and now he's engaged to be married.

*****

Andrea couldn't wait to fill me in. "Mark's fiancée knows the Carringtons. Her name is Victoria Beaumont. The two families have been friends for years. Colton and Grey went to elementary school with Victoria. Everyone assumed one of the boys would marry her. But they just thought of her as a friend. Her family's ranch is nearby. They are part of Dallas Society.

"Did you mention that I used to be engaged to Mark to anyone?" I was so afraid that she had.

She made a sealed lips gesture. "Your secret is safe with me. I never even told Colton your story." I blew out a sigh of relief.

Andrea met Colton right after Mark ended our relationship. "Thank you. Did I ever tell you that you are the best friend in the whole world?" I hugged her neck.

This still puts me in a difficult situation. I know I can't keep this secret forever. At some point I will have to tell Greyson my story. I could tell he was genuinely concerned about me today. That chipped away a little layer of stone that had been covering my heart.

Andrea is going to stay overnight also. She had brought a change of clothes in case they were going to do something wedding related. They always have something to do towards planning their wedding. The time is getting close. Everyone in the family is so excited that Colton is getting married to Andrea.

I feel better knowing Andrea is staying overnight too. I won't have to face the Carringtons alone in the morning at breakfast. We said goodbye and she left to get ready for bed. I was left by myself to think about the events of the day. And about the man who is starting to affect me in a way no one ever has before.

Votes and/or Comments Appreciated! 😊