Chapter 17

Andrea's Bridal Shower
Kendall

It was the second week in May and perfect weather for Andrea's bridal shower. She will be so surprised, I suggested an Afternoon Tea Party theme. Me and Andrea love Regency England—she will go nuts. I remember her momma buying her the prettiest porcelain tea set when we were little. We'd put on our dresses and her momma's hats. We'd borrow her shoes too and have the best pretend tea parties. Our stuffed animals occupied chairs, as guests.

Ava agreed the idea sounded wonderful. She was so happy to have my help and ideas. She really has become an adopted Momma to me. I cherish my time with her. Not many people can open their hearts unconditionally, like she did to me. She isn't like a Momma, she is the real deal.

I never dreamed I would gain a relationship like this, after my momma passed away. What makes it even more special—is the fact that I'm not even Ava's daughter-in-law. I know we both hoped Greyson and I would become a couple. Brody has been a nice distraction from thinking about Greyson. We hang out and I'm able to talk to him.We've spoken about my momma, Daddy, Mark, my broken engagement, and even Greyson.

Brody thinks both Mark and Greyson, are idiots for letting me go. He can't get over the fact that Greyson would be dumb enough to go back to Savannah, after she broke his heart—marrying his best friend.

Brody has become a good friend to me, and that has gotten under Greyson's skin. I personally love it. . . what a hypocrite! At least Brody hadn't broken my heart.

Everyone arrived at the shower before Andrea—I wanted her to be surprised. The guests oohed and aahed at the beautiful classic English High Tea Party set up outside. Everything was just so. The tables linens, and the centerpieces I ordered were beautiful. We had tea sandwiches, scones, jams, and plenty of desserts. We of course had tea, with cream and sugar.

The caterers did a fabulous job finding the perfect tea cups, saucers, and fine china. The individual tea pots were a nice touch. All of the flowers were set up to make everyone feel like they were in an English garden.

Andrea came outside to everyone yelling, "Surprise!" It was satisfying to see my friend so happy.

Colton stayed by her side, as they opened all of their gifts. Ava held onto my hand like she sensed the deep sadness that threatened to overtake me.

"Sugar Plum, you are going to find your happily ever after one day. And don't you forget, Momma Ava told you so." She squeezed my hand comfortingly. 

"I don't see that ever happening for me. The man I love, is out of my reach—I've had to come to terms with that. I'm going to help clean up now." I needed to keep my mind occupied, so I didn't get weepy.

I started grabbing items to be discarded off of the tables, and throwing them away. I threw them in the bag harder than necessary to release stress. I didn't chat with anyone, I just kept working. There was a lot of cleanup from the occasion to be done, fortunately for me.

I went in the kitchen with a handful of dishes. My forehead made contact with Greyson's chest like a brick wall. . . out of no where. "Grey, what are you doing in the kitchen?" I couldn't believe he of all people was even in the kitchen. 

"I was grabbing a snack, without trying to be noticed. Are you alright, Kendall?" Greyson looked alarmed that I might be hurt.

"I'm fine. Sorry, I wasn't paying attention where I was walking. I was cleaning up from the bridal shower and my mind was preoccupied." I was so embarrassed, my face turned bright red. Tears decided to make an unexpected visit to the corners of my eyes. Great, of all times.

"I thought you were okay?" He lowered his head to inspect my face. He wiped away a stray tear in a tender manner with his thumb underneath my eye. That made even more tears start to well up.

"Why don't you let the caterers clean up? You worked hard on this shower with my momma. I looked out of the window, it's beautiful. Only you, would think of a tea party theme." He sounded impressed.

"How did you know that's something I would do?" He surprised me, being so observant. I didn't think he still cared about things I did, or liked.

"It reminded me of you," he spoke softly. I could feel his breath, as it went down the side of my face and neck. He turned and tenderly touched my cheek.

He lifted my chin very slowly and deliberately—probing my expression, with his inquisitive eyes. Then, he very tenderly brushed his lips against mine. I wasn't prepared for that unanticipated kiss, and how it made me feel. My legs turned to jelly and Greyson held me up.

"Oh, there you are, Grey! I was looking for you. . . the bridal shower is over." Savannah's voice irritated me, and ruined the moment that I was still reeling from.

"I was just talking to Kendall, I'll be with you in a minute, Savannah." Grey spoke very annoyed, through his gritted teeth. I have never heard him be so curt, or bothered by her. He kept his back to her, as he continued to maintain eye contact with me.

"I'll just stand right over here to the side. I'm sure Kendall doesn't mind if I stay." She squished her face into a smile. Savannah was really pushing it. She wanted to make sure, he wouldn't continue our kiss—so she stood guard.

"Grey, just go with her. I can't deal with Savannah right now. She obviously needs your attention. I'm fine." I really was desperate for his attention. I would love to know what he was thinking and what made him kiss me—but I just wanted her gone.

"Before I leave, can I ask why you started calling me, Grey? You always called me, Greyson." He was obviously bothered by it, or he would not have brought it up.

"I started calling you Grey, when I became just a friend of your family. Remember, how you introduced me to Savannah? I thought you and I were friends." I let those words hang in the air, with Savannah standing right there. I walked out of the kitchen never looking back.

I know Savannah saw that he kissed me. She knew Greyson had feelings for me—I don't care any more.

I stayed for Andrea to thank everyone for coming to her surprise bridal shower. She gave a special acknowledgment to me and Ava for putting this all together. The shower was over, and I felt good I fulfilled my duty as maid of honor. Now I needed to go home and have a good old fashioned cry.

             ~Please vote or comment if you are enjoying the Story ~ ❤️