Chapter 16

Kendall

"Sorry I'm late everyone. I hope I didn't miss anything." Savannah sat down next to Greyson. She was practically sitting on his lap, she sat so close to him. I felt a sensation of jealousy rising in my chest, that I had to keep calm.

"Savannah, please meet my nephew, Brody Carrington. He is visiting until the wedding. He's from San Antonio, Texas." Ava proudly announced her introduction.

"A pleasure to meet you Savannah. Are you the same Savannah, that was Grey's high school sweetheart? I haven't seen you in years." Brody wanted to clear up any confusion in his mind. It probably seemed odd even to him.

I really like this Carrington, he speaks his mind. He is unflinching and I love it.

She seemed a little flustered by the question. How would she proceed in answering him, under the strange circumstances of her reunion with Greyson? He cut her off from speaking and seemed uncomfortable. They were now together all of the time, and it made him look like a nutcase.

He looked at his cousin. "Brody, I'm not sure if you're aware our friend, Noah, was in a recent plane crash? Savannah lost her husband." Greyson rubbed the back of his neck. He dressed up the situation with a bow, so he didn't look foolish.

"No, I hadn't heard. I'm so sorry for your loss Savannah." Brody looked down. He offered sincere words. He knew Noah too. He stared at her with sympathy.

I'm sure he was well aware what happened between Greyson and Savannah—when she married Noah. It was a very awkward silence that hung in the air, as Brody was piecing this whole situation together. It further emphasized what a dolt his cousin was.

There was such an irony that now existed.

"I remember Noah quite well. I'm truly sorry to hear of his loss. Grey, I'm sure that was difficult for you to hear as well. I'm glad you're consoling Savannah now. It's good you two have each other." He directed a sad smile their way. They all grew up together. Of course Brody remembered Noah, and Savannah too. He looked at me, with a mischievous wink.

I'm sure he was trying to figure out where or if I somehow fit in this storyline.

I picked up my wineglass and took a sip. My temples were starting to drum fast, as everyone was at a loss for words. I missed my mouth with the second sip and spilled wine on my blouse at the time of Brody's comment to Greyson. 

"Excuse me everyone," I spoke timidly, wiping at the spill in a ladylike fashion.

I don't know if I'll make it through this dinner, with Savannah here.

Ava redirected the conversation to something more positive. Brody and I conversed throughout dinner and things became more pleasant. Greyson kept looking at the two of us together, as we were laughing and engrossed like we were plotting a conspiracy. I started twirling my hair and really gave him a show.

How does it feel Greyson? Two can play this game. Except—I'm going to win.

After dinner we all sat outside to enjoy the beautiful sunset. It was the beginning of May. The weather was perfect. Brody was giving us a description of San Antonio and his attention was focused on me. His eyes shone like beams from a torch. I noticed Greyson watching Brody staring directly my way.

He did not look happy. My traitorous heart skipped several beats.

I told everyone about my latest art exhibition this coming Friday. Brody excitedly asked if he could attend. He genuinely expressed his desire to learn about art, which was unexpected, but appreciated.