Chapter 9

Kendall

I hope my assistant, Sheila, doesn't ask too many questions about my weekend. She would love to tease me about Greyson.

"He's so dreamy and he's a bachelor." Shelia practically purred at the art exhibition when she saw him. I couldn't deny his dreaminess, myself.

A grown woman purring. Who does that? Of course I acted like I hadn't even noticed the man. And now I spent the entire weekend at his family's ranch. I will never live this down.

Which reminds me. . .I forgot about my best friend, Andrea. I have to call her in the morning and ask her what was she thinking? Why ask me to be her maid of honor? She knows my history with Mark and Miss Cara. I sighed and and closed my eyes. Now, I have to tell Greyson the whole story. I also have to face Miss Cara, thanks to Andrea!

*****

Greyson

I overslept and barely made my flight. I tossed and turned all night thinking about this woman, who unexpectedly came into my life. Kendall Prescott was not in my plans. She was distracting my every thought and almost made me miss my flight.

I boarded the airplane, found my seat, and put my carry on bag in the overhead compartment. I settled in my seat and closed my eyes. I was going to take a nap on this flight to Florida.

I never imagined a simple picnic lunch at my family's ranch would turn into Kendall fainting, and staying for the weekend. Then she like I've never seen before. My heart broke hearing her sobbing, as I held her in my arms.

I can't believe the way she affected me when I lifted her chin, and looked closely into her eyes after she had stopped crying. She was in a word, breathtaking. I suddenly, wanted to kiss her. I had to distract myself before I did. I figured I would say something witty to change my thoughts.

"Excuse me, Sir. My seat is next to you by the window." A woman tapped my arm. She and her son were standing next to my seat. I was so lost in thought, I never saw her.

"I'm sorry."

"It's no problem. My son is a little unruly at times. I hope we don't bother you too much on the flight." She looked at me with an apologetic smile.

I gave her a closed lip smile and bristled, thinking about her son interrupting my nap. I took out my lap top, since I obviously wasn't going to get a nap. Suddenly, I remembered walking Kendall to her to her car. I couldn't let her leave, without kissing her. But I should have stopped myself.

What did she think of me kissing her? We are only friends, and I don't know how she feels about me. I examined her beautiful brown eyes, that seemed to shimmer in the sunlight. I had never noticed the few delicate freckles across her nose, before. Being so close, and holding her in my arms was incredible. I couldn't help kissing her softly on the lips.

How could just a simple kiss feel so amazing and make my heart race? I guess nothing is simple when it comes to Kendall Prescott. I was heartbroken once, and I don't ever want to feel that way again. Somehow, I get the feeling that Kendall is slowly thawing my frozen heart, without even trying.

I can't believe how my heart was pounding out of my chest, when I called her to make sure she got home safely. I felt like a school boy, talking to his first crush. I don't know quite what to call what is happening between us. I broke rule number two, by kissing her. Do I dare break rule number one, by dating her?