Chapter 20

Andrea and Colton's Wedding

Kendall

I woke up, clinging to my covers. I contemplated how I could make it through this day as the maid of honor. I couldn't help feeling melancholy—I wished I were getting married. I was supposed to be a June bride, like Andrea. . . . Mark and I were so happy, I planned everything so perfectly for our wedding. Then, two weeks before we said I do, he broke my heart. I thought I had recovered from that gut wrenching pain.

It was an empty hollow emotion that no one understood—not even me, at times. Today I had to wear a smile. . . a mask to hide my pain. Not only was I not marrying my ex-fiancé, but I wasn't marrying the man I fell in love with several months ago. Greyson came into my life and unexpectedly took it by storm. He helped chip away the layers of cement that shielded my broken heart. I wore it like a garment just to survive each day. I didn't think I could ever take it off and trust anyone again. But he showed up and I foolishly let my guard down.

Now, he's with Savannah and I'm back to where I started—but worse. Tears pricked my eyes like needles and I let them fall for a brief moment. I wiped my eyes with the back of my hands and a heavy sigh. I had to get out of bed and begin—somewhere, I would find the strength to be happy for my best friend. She deserved this day of happiness. It's not her fault my life turned out with all of these twists and turns.

We are meeting with Andrea, her momma, and Ava at Carrington Ranch. I jumped in the shower and grabbed my things. The bridesmaids are getting dressed and having our hair and makeup done at the ranch. "Kendall are you on your way?" Andrea sounded worried.

"Yes, I'm getting in my car now. I had a difficult time getting out of bed, sorry."

"Oh, good. I'm glad you're feeling alright. You missed breakfast. Ava had planned a nice breakfast for all the bridesmaids, before we get our hair and makeup done." She stated, with disappointment.

"It's fine. I'm really not hungry. I had some toast and a cup of coffee before I left. I'll be there soon." I pressed end on my phone. I wasn't in the mood for a lengthy conversation.

I arrived at the ranch and recognized Savannah's car. I inhaled and exhaled quickly. I can do this, I thought to myself.

Everyone was upstairs in there gowns, with big white rollers in their hair. The makeup artists were doing a beautiful job. I needed something to cover the puffiness of my eye lids. I smiled and greeted everyone. "Hello, sorry I'm late."

"Oh sugarplum, at least you made it in time before the photographer arrived." Ava gave me a motherly hug.

Andrea was in the makeup chair choosing her eyeshadow and lipstick colors. "Hi Kendall, hurry and get dressed." She shooed me into the dressing room.

All I heard was the swishing of the bridesmaids dresses and laughter, as I walked out in my striking gown. It fit my curves in a complimentary way and was a beautiful shade of periwinkle. All eyes landed on me. "Kendall you look gorgeous." I heard echoing in the room. I heard crickets from Savannah, but I wasn't surprised.

"Kendall how beautiful, that color matches your olive skin tone to perfection." Andrea did an air kiss on both sides of my cheeks.

"Thank you Andrea, you are the one that looks beautiful. Your wedding gown is stunning. I can't believe you're a bride," I reached for her hands and we both teared up. It was the first time anyone had seen her gown. She kept it under lock and key. She wouldn't even give a hint of what it looked like prior to the wedding.

She had her blond hair styled in an updo with a side swept bang. She had an old Hollywood glamour. Colton will be amazed when he sees her for the first time.

Mrs. Evans, Andrea's momma, greeted me. "Kendall, it's wonderful that you and Andrea are sharing this special day. I remember when you two girls became friends. You look lovely, my dear." She hugged me.

The photographer arrived and Ava directed him to the room we all occupied. Ava made a striking mother of the groom. This was her first born son getting married. It was exciting for her too. I helped pin on her corsage. She put her hand on the side of my face with tears threatening to spill. She didn't have to speak. I knew she felt bad about me and Greyson. I was like a daughter to her. She loves Andrea, but she has a mother. It hit me today—why I was special to her. She knew how alone I felt during occasions like this. It's a wound that never fully healed and she recognizes that.

We stood as Andrea took pictures with her momma. He took some in black and white. Those will be gorgeous, with a vintage wedding look. Then we all gathered for photos of all the bridesmaids surrounding Andrea. And some with Andrea standing next to me, as the maid of honor. Finally we were ready to head to the wedding venue. We all sat still in the limousine, holding our flower bouquets.

The South Fork Ranch wedding venue looked exquisite. Both the wedding ceremony and the reception were being held there. Colton got teary eyed when he saw Andrea for the first time. I tried to calm the waterworks when I saw Greyson standing next to his brother. They both looked so handsome in their black tuxedos. How am I going to make it up the aisle? I started feeling unsteady, with all of the guests eyes on me. I made it and locked eyes with Greyson—that was a big mistake.

Colton and Andrea were pronounced husband and wife. All you heard was a thunderous applause, as Colton kissed his bride. She blushed and they both held their interlaced fingers up in the air.

"Are you ready Kendall?" Greyson got my attention. It was time for me to look at him, smile, and lock arms. My arms and spine tingled as we walked down the aisle following the bride and groom. I couldn't get Miss Cara's voice and wedding rehearsal instructions out of my head the whole walk down the aisle with Greyson by my side. I was ready to keep walking home and we weren't even at the wedding reception yet.

Colton and Andrea took pictures together for the first time as husband and wife. They couldn't wipe the smiles from their faces. It was beautiful to watch. They were truly happy.

Greyson inched up behind me. "I can't believe my big brother is a married man."

Why is talking to me? I was just trying to mind my business. "Yes, I'm still processing that my childhood best friend is married. I'm happy for them." I kept it short and sweet. I looked at my watch. "Do you know how much longer they're going to be taking pictures with the photographer?"

"I hope not much longer. I wanted to grab some food inside, before the cocktail hour is over." Greyson patted his stomach. "I didn't have time to eat breakfast or lunch. Do you think they'll miss me if I sneak and grab a plate of food?" He laughed and my heart skittered. He is ridiculously handsome.

Brody saved me. "I'm sorry I left you standing here. I was talking to my old buddy. We're hoping we can make it inside the reception hall, before the cocktail hour ends. I'm happy for Colton and Andrea, but enough with the pictures."

Greyson folded his arms and chuckled. "My sentiments exactly, cousin."

"Oh, Greyson—your brother wants to take a picture with you." Savannah looked at me out the corner of her eye, but spoke to him. She looped her arm in his and they strolled over to Colton, who was in conversation with the photographer.

When is this day going to end?

                                    ~Don't forget to Vote/and or Comment~ ❤️