Chapter 19

Kendall

I heard the sound of heavy footsteps behind me, as I was walking to my car. I picked up my pace with a nervous stride. I quickly took my car keys from my jacket pocket.

"Kendall, wait up." Grey called out.

I stopped in my tracks, turning to pivot toward him. "What's up?"

"You left the restaurant before Andrea gave out her bridesmaids gifts. She asked me to personally try and catch up and give this to you." He placed the silver gift wrapped package in my hand. "Oh, here's the card that goes with it." He smiled.

"Thank you Grey."

"Will you stop calling me, Grey?" He practically pleaded, annoyed. He ran his hand through his hair and our eyes met.

"Would you like me to call you Mr. Carrington?" I asked dryly.

"I want you to call me Greyson—like you used to. I miss that," his voice softened.

"Why should I? You made me of no importance at all that day you first introduced me to Savannah. You called me a friend of the family," the memory made fresh tears glisten in my eyes. But I refused to cry.

"I'm sorry Kendall, I didn't mean to hurt you. It sounds terrible hearing you repeat it. But it came out my mouth and Momma corrected me before I could. I didn't want to stick my foot in my mouth any further." He stepped closer. "Please forgive me, I wasn't myself. I didn't know what to say, with Savannah right there and I felt bad for not calling you after Noah's plane crash."

"At least you admitted that you didn't show me a common courtesy." I began to pace by my car.

He spoke in a low tone. "Kendall, you are my friend. I know I haven't been a good one—but this is an unusual set of circumstances with Savannah being in the picture. I hadn't planned on this sequence of events," he stood in front of me and tilted my chin.

"Are you going to open the box?"

"I'll wait until I get home." I looked up into his eyes, that had shadows of gray. "Thank you for delivering the gift from Andrea to me. I'll call and thank her." I needed to leave Greyson's presence before I reached out for him to hold me and never let go.

"I'm glad I caught you, before you left the parking lot—you seemed in a hurry. I'm surprised Brody didn't walk you safely to your car." His gaze never left mine. It bothered him to see me with Brody.

Too bad! He had a lot of nerve.

"Thank you Greyson." I said his name for the first time in a long while. "I'm going home now. I'll see you at the wedding tomorrow."

"Goodnight Kendall." He stepped back, leaving me room to pass and get in my car. I waved and pulled out of the parking lot. I looked in my rear view mirror and he stood watching me drive away.

All I could think about on the way home was the wedding rehearsal. It was surreal being there with Miss Cara, my former wedding planner. That was as close to getting married as I have ever been. Then being with Greyson and having to practice walking down the aisle with him—didn't make it any easier.

Something had changed in him, I couldn't quite put my finger on it. He didn't remove his eyes from me all night. Every time I looked up he was staring. It was unnerving me.

Why did he have to be the one to deliver my gift wrapped box from Andrea. She could have given it to me tomorrow. Something tells me, she did that on purpose. As much as I hate to admit it—my heart thumped loudly in my chest, as he lifted my chin and looked into my eyes.

The traffic light changed and all I could hear was honking horns blaring in my ears. I had stopped at the red light and didn't notice it was now green. I waved in my mirror. "Alright calm down." I responded out loud. I concentrated on getting home and opening my maid of honor gift.

*****

I turned the key to unlock my apartment door. I blew out a deep breath—what a day this had been. I kicked off my shoes, put my box and card down on the table. I grabbed a bottle of water out of the refrigerator and sat down to open my delicate gift box.

I opened it carefully, with its dainty ribbons. Inside was a purple velvet box, that contained the most beautiful gold locket on a gold chain. I puckered my brow opening the locket. I was in such anticipation for what could be inside. I put my hand over my mouth—there was a picture of me and Andrea at six years old. My momma had snapped our picture the day her momma baked a cake. She and Andrea stopped by to welcome us to the neighborhood. We've been friends ever since.

Tears pricked my eyes instantly, remembering. What a special gift from my friend, I will always treasure. It was something that none of her bridesmaids would receive as a gift. I've known Andrea since we were both little girls. This lessened the pain of Savannah being a bridesmaid in her wedding. I new Andrea was still my friend, through thick and thin.

I had to call her before it got too late. "Hey."

"Hey Kendall. I just got home."

"I wanted to thank you for such a sentimental maid of honor gift. It's beautiful. And I loved the greeting card as well—such lovely words."

"I'm so happy you like it. I was hoping you could wear it for the wedding. You don't have to. And I meant every word."

"Of course I'll wear it. Thank you Andrea," my voice cracked.

She spoke nervously. "I know things haven't been easy for you, Kendall. I wish I could change the situation for you and Grey. Please know that even though I've been busy—I think about you often. Now that things are settling down, I'm here to talk or listen, my friend."

"Thank you, I'm fine. I'm looking forward to your wedding tomorrow. I'm happy you found the man of your dreams." I paused, as the human side of me kicked in. I realized I couldn't say anything more. "Goodnight Andrea, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thank you Kendall, goodnight."

                           ~Please Don't Forget to Vote and/or Comment~ ❤️