Chapter 28

Kendall

I felt like I was floating on the way home. I angled my eyebrows dramatically as I thought back to the events of today. I knew Greyson bringing me a piece of Colton and Andrea's wedding cake to the gallery was an excuse to see me. But I didn't know what he was thinking.

It was unexpected to see him. We only spoke before that, because of the wedding rehearsals. And then the actual wedding and reception. It was quite difficult being the maid of honor, with him being the best man. But I'm a woman of my word. I made a promise to a dear friend and I intended to keep it. To be quite honest, I didn't think I'd ever see Greyson after that, especially since he seemed happy with Savannah.

Having lunch with him outside at the street fair was wonderful. I'm shocked I could even eat my barbecue beef brisket sandwich from that amazing food truck. My heart was pounding sitting next to him on the bench. I was happy we started to bring up the subject of us. We didn't get far, but it was a beginning.

As I was making my way home the lyrics and melody came out of nowhere. The song was an old favorite of mine, 'Unforgettable'. He was just that . . . unforgettable. When would this tug of war with my mind and heart, accept defeat. I somehow couldn't completely let go of my end, even if it was hopeless. There was always that idea of me and him that lingered in the background. But he's with Savannah and I'm assuming they are happy. He didn't seem happy with her at his brother's wedding, now that I think about it.

"Hey lady, will you go already." This guy yelled and beeped his horn.

I waved in my rear view mirror. "I'm sorry," I winced, the traffic light had turned green. I was in la la land humming along and daydreaming.

I needed to clear my head. Once I arrived home I passed on having my favorite Southern Butter-pecan ice cream. I put my hair in a ponytail and laced up my sneakers. It was time for a little fitness. I needed a distraction. A run at my favorite neighborhood park would do me some good.

Greyson's visit to the gallery today brought out emotions I was able to keep shoving below the surface. But now they were staring me in the face, questioning what I was going to do. I parked my car and swung open my car door. "Hey Joe, nice to see you." I nodded as he ran past. He's cute, but not my type of guy. We wave as we run and that's it.

I did stretches as I approached the running path. I decided to do a fast walk instead of running. This park is beautiful before sunset. It has a man made lake with two fountains in the middle. I saw a male and female duck waddling around. They look like a couple that has been together a long time. They were so cute. My heart rate was speeding faster than I planned and I needed to find the nearest bench to take a breather. I saw turtles swimming on the edge of the pond. I spotted an old mill I had never noticed. I caught a couple out the corner of my eye on the stone bridge. It looked like he had just proposed and was slipping a ring on her finger.

I clapped and put my hand over my heart. Fresh tears sprang to my eyes watching a scene from their love story take place. Just then, I saw the strangest sight. There was a man peddling on a real elliptical bike. I had never seen or heard of that before. I only knew about elliptical machines people use in a gym setting or at home. I put my hand under my chin and sat back on the bench.

It felt good to breathe in the fresh air and watch the sunset below the horizon. That never gets old. It's a beautiful sight every time. I couldn't help wondering if Greyson was watching the same setting sun from Carrington Ranch. I loved the smell of his cologne and how handsome he was with hair cut shorter than usual. His granite gray eyes had a familiar sparkle. I couldn't help leaning toward him and planting a quick kiss to his lips.

I would love to know what he was thinking when I did that. He didn't show an expression, but I know I took him by surprise. I couldn't help wondering if there could ever be a future for he and I one day. Only time will tell. I left the quietness of the park before dark. I kicked off my sneakers and undid my ponytail when I walked into my apartment. I decided on having a few spoonfuls of ice cream after all. Who was I kidding, I knew would end up eating the whole pint.

Tomorrow was Monday and that is always our busiest day. I have a lot of paperwork to do for new art pieces that are shipped to the gallery. I'm heading to bed now . . . tomorrow is new day and a fresh start.

I had just drifted off to sleep when I got a phone call. "Hi Kendall, sorry to call so late."

"Greyson! Is everything okay?" I tried to keep the alarm out of my voice. I hoped Ava and Mr. Carrington were alright. I couldn't imagine him calling so late.

His voice had a tremor. "I wanted to invite you to dinner on Friday. My momma decided to have a small dinner party to welcome Colton and Andrea home from their honeymoon. I didn't want to be alone at the dinner. She just told me about it today."

I sat up in my bed. "Wait, why don't you ask Savannah?" I had to ask.

"I'm asking you." He gave no further explanation.

I had to think quickly. "Ah, of course. Are you asking me on a date at your parents house?" My voice smiled.

"I guess you could call it that. My momma would love for you to attend the dinner party and so would I." He answered matter-of-factly.

"Yes, I'll be there. Is it formal attire?"

"It's semi-formal."

"What time should I be there?"

"Make sure your there at 7 p. m. sharp. You know my momma is very punctual."

"Yes, and she's a great hostess. Okay, I'll see you Friday." I hung up and wondered why he asked me to be his dinner date and not Savannah. This is all very strange.

Please Vote and/or Comment. I hope you're enjoying the story.