Chapter 8

Kendall

I couldn't believe it was possible to shed that many tears. I was thinking about my past and now contemplating my future. I also didn't realize that laying my head on Greyson's shoulder would be so comforting. He held me tightly, while I cried buckets of tears. What must this man think of me? I could stay in his comforting embrace forever. I needed his strength, and he knew it without me asking.

He interrupted my thoughts, nudging my chin up to peer directly into his eyes. "Are you feeling better now, or do you still need my shoulder to cry on?"

My face became warm and flushed, with the deep richness in his voice. I looked directly into his grey gaze while he was still holding me. Greyson's simple touch affected me in a way I had never experienced before. I was at a loss for words.

His eyes portrayed something I still could not define yet, for sure. Was it some type of longing? I have seen him give me that unnerving stare a few times since I have been here. But his eyes also held a tenderness, that I saw this morning. He still had not let go of me.

I was not complaining, I enjoyed being held by him. It removed one more chip from the stone that covered my heart. . . . I knew my resolve would betray me around him.

I broke the intense silence, clearing my throat. "Thank you so much for letting me cry on your shoulder and for your comfort. I know some men get uncomfortable seeing a woman cry, but you knew just what I needed."

He interrupted me. "I took a course in college on helping crying women, before I got my Masters Degree in Architecture." His eyes danced with laughter, before he winked.

I knew that wink was coming. I was growing fond of it and him. He always has something funny, or witty to say. Before that, it almost looked like he was about to kiss me. I was in disbelief and blushed at the thought alone.

Hmmm. . .was Greyson getting ready to kiss me? Did he say something funny to distract himself, and not just me? I guess I'll never know.

"Are you really an architect? You never mentioned that before today." I was surprised and truly in amazement.

He put his hand to his chest. "I am a bonafide world class architect. I've designed buildings all around the world." He put his finger up to his lips. "I don't usually tell people that. I like people to get to know me, before I talk about my profession. I'm not usually home in Dallas much. I had planned on telling you today and I wanted to show you the plans for a new development I designed. I'm going out of town tomorrow, because they need my expertise as the architect."

Greyson, is so different from Mark. He is very humble and not extravagant. Though he could be. He doesn't rely on his family fortune or name. I noticed that right away when I first met him. He was more interested in me and what I did. I just lost another chip of stone from covering my heart.

I was curious. "How long will you be gone?" I was hoping it wouldn't be too long.

He thought about it. "I'm not sure yet. I'll know once I see job and meet with the owners of the development. Hopefully just a few days."

I hurriedly got to the point. "When you get back, I would like to discuss something with you. It is pretty important. Maybe we could have dinner?"

"That sounds like a plan to me. I'll call you as soon as I get back in town." He was intrigued wondering what I wanted to discuss.