Chapter 25

Greyson

I set my alarm to wake me extra early, so I'd have time to shower, shave, and get dressed. I was a nervous wreck thinking and rehearsing what I'd say to Kendall. I heard the alarm sound in my ears, as I was thinking. It turns out I didn't need the alarm—my nerves were so jittery. I woke up before the morning sun crept in through my blinds at the windows.

I leaned out of bed to quiet the noise from my alarm clock. I got out of bed apprehensively to start my day. I got dressed after I showered. I figured I'd keep it casual with a pair of jeans and a polo shirt. My hair was cropped shorter than usual. I had it cut for Colton and Andrea's wedding. I put on my favorite Breitling watch. I ran downstairs to grab a plate at the family breakfast buffet.

"Grey, you're inhaling your food. At least take time to taste what the cook prepared for breakfast." My momma scolded me.

"I'm in a hurry this morning."

"Where are you off to? Your brother isn't here for our Sunday family breakfast. And Brody left for San Antonio. You know how your momma looks forward to having us all sit down for a meal together on Sunday." My father interjected.

"Yes, I do know. But I promised Kendall I'd bring her a piece of the wedding cake from last night. I had a waiter wrap a slice up for her and I brought it home with me." I gulped down a cup of orange juice.

My momma spoke casually. "Oh you're going to bring Kendall a piece of the wedding cake. How thoughtful of you. I didn't know you two were on such friendly terms." She sipped her coffee, as she looked at me out the side of her eye . . . thinking.

"I must confess, I felt bad that she left early last night. I knew it was probably because of me. So I thought it would be a nice gesture." I sat back in my chair folding my arms.

"I think that was a lovely idea, son. I'm sure Kendall will appreciate tasting the cake, especially since she was the maid of honor. The cake was beautiful and delicious." My mother was chatting on and on, I half heard what she was saying.

I had hoped Kendall would think it was thoughtful and that she would be happy to see me. I had no clue what I was going to say to her. Savannah called to go go sailing at White Rock Lake today. I told her I already had plans. I didn't explain. She was disappointed, but she didn't ask what I was doing.

I went to rub my chin, forgetting I had shaved. My usual stubble was gone.

My momma called my name to get my attention. "Grey,"

"I'm sorry, my wheels were turning thinking of what to say to Kendall once I arrive at the gallery." I didn't feel getting into a lengthy discussion.

"Oh, good your meeting her at the gallery. You could always bring up a painting you like. Or show interest in what's been happening at the gallery. That will definitely get her talking, as you place the cake down on the counter for her to try." Momma angled her eyebrows and spoke with exhilaration. She was so happy—Kendall is like a daughter to her. I knew she was disappointed Savannah resurfaced in my life.

I got up from my chair at the table and kissed momma on the cheek. "Thank you for your advice. I'll let the conversation happen naturally. It's been a long while since I've spent time talking to her." I decided to throw my figurative notes away.

"Bye Dad." I nodded his way. He was more reserved. He raised his hand and waived, as he was looking at the Sunday newspaper.

I rushed out of the door and jumped in my car. I shut the door and grabbed my shades—it was very sunny out. I was heading to Downtown Dallas to see my friend, Kendall Prescott. I had a beaming smile, with that thought. I'm glad no one could see me . . . they would think I was nuts. I had no expectations. I don't even deserve her kindness after the way I treated her. I made sure I had the cook put her piece of cake in a nice box with a fork, in case she didn't have one handy. I left Carrington Ranch and began making my way toward the gallery.

I'm happy she was at least agreed to letting me stop by. If I could only convince her to have lunch with me at a nearby restaurant. We've been through a lot, but we are still friends. At least I'd like to hope she thinks so.

There was a lot of traffic Downtown, as there was some kind of event going on. I finally found a parking spot not too far away. I grabbed the cake box and took a deep breath, before exiting my car. I was more nervous than I had imagined being.

I walked through the glass doors and was greeted by Sheila. "Grey, it's so nice to see you. Kendall told me you were stopping by with a piece of the wedding cake. I think that is so sweet. I'll let her know that you're here. It came in a box?" Her eyes widened.

"No, I had our cook put it in a box with a fork." Her expression told me what she was thinking.

"It's not that big of a deal. We have these boxes at the ranch. My momma is always having a luncheon or dinner party. She has these for guests that want to save their desert." I know she didn't believe me. Who walks around with fancy boxes with a piece of cake? I had to chuckle myself. I was a little crazy. I guess it was obvious I was going out of my way for Kendall.

I covered my laugh with a cough. "Yes, could you please let Kendall know that I'm here?"

A broad smile framed Sheila's face. "I'll be right back. Kendall is in her office."

Kendall walked in front of Sheila. "Greyson, thank you for bringing my cake. I can't believe you saved a piece and brought it all the way here. It's a beautiful presentation. Doesn't your family usually have Sunday breakfast?" She asked.

"Yes, we do—every Sunday we have a family breakfast buffet. But Colton is on his honeymoon and Brody left for San Antonio early this morning. So I figured my parents wouldn't mind if I made plans today. I did eat, rather quickly. But I wanted to see you." I hadn't planned on adding that last part, as I inched closer to her.

She spoke softly. "Oh, thank you. Brody called me when he was leaving this morning. I'll miss him. He and I had become good friends," her eyes were a little watery.

Sheila cleared her throat and pointed toward a doorway. "I'll be back in a few minutes. I have some new artwork to inventory, if you two don't mind? If you need anything, I'll be nearby."

"Thank you. We'll be fine." Kendall gave her a small smile and sat her cake box on the front reception desk.

I waved at Sheila as she left us standing in the front of the gallery. "Aren't you going to taste the cake I traveled miles to get to you. I made every effort to keep it safely guarded." We both laughed—it broke the tension in the air.

I was waiting for Kendall to speak. . . .

                             ~Please don't forget to Vote and/or Comment~