Chapter 1

My name is Kendall Prescott. I can't believe how much my life changed after meeting my fiancé for dinner. I was so excited for our wedding in two weeks. We agreed to meet for dinner at our favorite restaurant.

Mark was seated at the table when I walked in. He stood and pulled out my chair like a gentleman. He sat back down and I noticed he wasn't quite himself. He had a hard time making eye contact and seemed a million miles away. I gabbed on and on about our upcoming wedding. I was so excited and had a lot of nervous energy. Finally, he interrupted me. My heart started beating fast as he picked up my hand. "Kendall, I can't marry you," he spoke in a low tone. He let go of my hand without another word.

I stared blankly at his retreating form. He walked away and out of the restaurant. He had broken our engagement and my heart shattered into a million pieces. How would I ever find my heart again?

One year later . . .

I was determined to get back to the old me. I started a new program at my art gallery for budding artists. I asked local talented artists if they would give lessons on painting, drawing, and sculpting.

This started six months ago every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evening. I joined all three classes. I tried to keep as busy as possible. I was an energizer bunny. My therapist thought it would be a good way of expressing myself, positively. I especially loved working with the clay. I enjoyed the squishy feel between my palms. It felt like holding a stress ball.

My instructor had to redirect my focus on making the pottery bowl for our assignment. I began making a face that resembled Mark. I was in the zone, while all of my fellow students sat there watching me. Their mouths hung wide open. . . .

"Miss Prescott, that's not the project we're working on this evening." He got my attention, waving his hand in front of my face.

I took a quick glance around the room. "Oh." My mouth formed an O shape. I was so embarrassed when I saw everyone else's clay-shaped bowls.

Jim cleared his throat. "You are a natural at sculpting," he observed and winked as he handed me new clay. He smiled and walked back to the front of the class to continue his instruction.

I guess I was still a work in progress. I started running, and I had a walking/running challenge at work. Everyone formed teams and started keeping track of their steps with Fitbits. Whatever got the job done. All of my gallery employees signed up. It was June, and everyone wanted to get their beach bodies in shape.

My team didn't win, but I lost a few pounds. It was an employee morale booster. "What are we going to do next? Skydiving?" Sheila, my lovely assistant, chuckled under her breath. I have to say that everyone was team Kendall. Whatever it took to help ease my mind and heart, they were all in. I decided we should have a big art exhibition. I haven't had one since Mark and I broke up.

*****

I was busy with my new art gallery. I didn't have time to think about Mark and our broken engagement. This was a great way for me to nurse my wounded heart that was growing scars. I would never trust it with anyone, ever again.

My cell phone rang way too early. "Hello, Kendall," I heard from a familiar voice. I wish this was all a dream and I was still clutching my soft pillow.

"There ought to be a law against being this cheery so early in the morning, Andrea." I couldn't hold back my annoyance.

"Good morning, Miss Grouchy. I thought you would be excited about your new art exhibition tonight." She was persistent in being perky and robbing me of sleep.

"I am, but I'm also tired from working day and night." I yawned sleepily. "In fact, you should still be asleep."

"It will be perfect. See you tonight," Andrea ended the conversation excitedly. Sounds like she was floating in the clouds. I guess being engaged has done that for her.

I picked up the phone only for her. I was not in a talkative mood this morning. I need this evening to be a success. This art exhibition means so much to me. I sent out invitations to all of my top collectors.

She has no idea how stressful things have been for me lately. I'm finally getting over Mark, and my heart is healing. I can't help but miss my momma at a time like this.

Andrea has been my best friend since we were in kindergarten. We moved into the house that had been boarded up next door to her family. She and her momma baked a cake. They brought it over to welcome us to the neighborhood. We became fast friends and have been inseparable since. She stayed up with me the night Mark broke my heart.

He shattered my dream of being Mrs. Mark West with two kids, a house, and a picket fence. She brought over my favorite southern butter pecan ice cream, with two spoons and a box of tissues.

Andrea recently got engaged to the man of her dreams. His name is Colton Carrington. He is beyond handsome, with raven-black hair and blue eyes. He comes from a multimillionaire oil family. His father is a oil tycoon here in Dallas. They have a sprawling ranch and live in a beautiful estate. Colton owns two very successful restaurants in Dallas. One is more trendy and geared for the younger crowd. The other is a fine-dining establishment.

Andrea, is an amazing chef who graduated from a top culinary school in NYC. She was a chef in one of Colton's restaurants when they met. They are always trying to find "the one" for me. Ugh. I know they mean well. But they can really be annoying.

My day went smoothly. Now it is time for my long-awaited exhibition at my art gallery. Andrea called me earlier in the day to ask if Colton's younger brother, Greyson, could come with them. He was back in town earlier than expected. He is some type of business mogul and is back from a successful business deal in Los Angeles, CA.

"Sure, the more the merrier," I murmured. Andrea was thrilled. I knew she wanted me to meet Greyson. She probably hoped he might be "the one." I'm skeptical. From the way she described him, he sounds too good to be true.

My phone buzzed on my desktop with a text message. I quickly left my office to start greeting my guests for the art exhibition.

All of my new artists showed their amazing work, and hopefully my collectors liked what they saw. We had various platters of food, compliments of Colton's restaurant nearby. Plenty of wine and cocktails. Everything was going better than I expected, until Andrea, Colton, and Greyson walked in.

My mouth dropped open when I first saw Greyson. He was gorgeous, with dark-chocolate-brown hair and the most beautiful piercing gray eyes. He had a nice broad build, and the slightest stubble was growing on his face. I had to compose myself as they all walked up to me. Colton introduced me to his younger brother.

He kissed the back of my hand and looked up at me. "It is nice to meet you, Kendall. Thank you for letting me come tonight. Everyone calls me Grey." I got a knot in my throat and tingles down my spine. I was caught off guard by this handsome and charming man. I stood there like an idiot, not able to speak. If first impressions are lasting, I didn't stand a chance with Greyson.

He had the most captivating gray eyes that he used with the most intense eye contact. His gaze was simply penetrating, and it unnerved me. He also had a commanding presence you couldn't help but notice. He intrigued me. I knew then that I needed to steer clear of Greyson if I wanted to keep my heart intact.

Copyright © 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023
Dawn Drake
All Rights Reserved

This story is published subject to the condition that it shall not be reproduced or retransmitted in whole or in part in any manner without written permission from the copyright holder. Any infringement of this is a violation of copyright law.

Please Vote or Comment on this Story! I hope you enjoy it. 😊