Chapter 12

Kendall
(Sunday Morning)

I awoke in my spectacular bedroom, that I have come to think of as my room. I dreamt of Greyson, and the way he was my night in shining armor last night. He truly defended my honor. I still can't believe he flew home to be with me at the party. 

I could never have gotten through that experience without him.  I'm finding my life impossible to imagine without him in it.

I'm looking forward to going to White Rock Lake with him today after breakfast. This should be an interesting day—I can't wait to tell him my whole story. I'll start from the beginning, with growing up as a little girl in Austin, Texas, dreaming of owning an art gallery and ending with my broken engagement to Mark West. He deserves to hear the details from me.

I rose out of bed to get dressed and ready to take on this day. I was hoping today would be a better day and a new start, with only honesty between us. I'm allowing myself to be completely vulnerable. But I owe him the truth, especially after last night.

I descended the stairs with a little hop. I was super excited for my day at White Rock Lake. I heard Greyson on his cell phone in the foyer. He was talking to someone in a somber tone. I paused so he wouldn't see me. He was pacing back and forth, raking his hands through his thick dark-brown hair.

"I can't believe what you're telling me. I feel like I'm having a nightmare. There has to be a mistake! Noah is a great pilot. They'll find him, Savannah. Don't apologize for calling me—I'm glad you let me know. Noah was my best friend growing up. I knew him since I was three years old," I heard the smile in his voice as he reminisced. "I had plans today with a friend, but I'll cancel them and be right over." He quickly ended the call.

Who is Noah, and what happened to him? Who in the world is, Savannah? At least I know where I stand with Greyson. I'm the friend, he's going to cancel his plans with. He made me of no importance at all.

"Good morning, Greyson. I'm ready for our trip to White Rock Lake today." I acted my normal self. Not alerting him to the fact I had heard his conversation on the cellphone.

"About that . . . Kendall. I'm sorry, but I have to cancel our plans for today. I just got off the phone, with an old friend. Her husband, Noah Montgomery, was my best friend growing up.  His airplane went down in a bad storm last night. His wife, Savannah, called to let me know they are conducting a search and rescue mission right now."

I hugged his neck. Being positive, I said, "They'll find your friend. Was he on a commercial plane?"

He blew out a loud anguished breath. "Noah owns his own plane and is a great pilot. He's loved airplanes and wanted to fly since we were little. The weather he was flying through was treacherous. They found pieces of his plane, and it doesn't look good."

He rubbed his stubbled face. "Savannah said soon they are going to start a search and recovery mission. Noah's parents have both passed away, she wants me to come sit with her to hear any news."

"You never had a chance to mention this best friend, before now." I remarked.

"Well, that makes two of us. We've both left out revealing important people in our lives." He winced right after he said it. He knew he was lashing out at me. But I knew he meant it. "Kendall I'm sorry. I didn't mean that, the way it sounded. Noah married my childhood sweetheart, Savannah. She was the love of my life. I never imagined she would get tired of waiting for me, but she did. It was a painful experience. My best friend married my childhood sweetheart.  So that makes two of us, that have suffered heartbreak."