Chapter 29

Greyson

I had just finished tying the not in my tie. I folded the pocket square and placed it in the breast pocket on my black dinner jacket. There was a quick knock on my door. In stepped my brother, Colton. "Hey Grey, it's good to see you." He plopped into a chair.

"Hi Colton. How's married life? Oh, you just got back from your honeymoon. I guess I should ask you in a couple of years." I laughed. "I'm just kidding. Andrea's a great girl. I'm sure you two will be very happy."

He ignored me. "How has everything been going at Carrington Enterprises? Dad said he's looking for properties. He wants you to design a new building. I heard he's trying to teach you, Mr. Architect, about the oil business." He looked at me with sympathy.

I sighed. "Yes, this was his idea. He feels we both should be more involved in this business and carry on our great grandfather's legacy. He doesn't understand why I love architecture, when I have a ready made family business. And then you have two restaurants. You should definitely be excited to join him at Carrington Enterprises—your the oldest son."

Colton scratched under his chin, leaning to the side. "I knew this was inevitable, with Dad getting older, but I tried to hold off as long as I could. I wanted freedom, but this is our family's legacy . . . you're right. And he needs our help."

"Where's Andrea?" I looked out the window as I put on my cuff links.

"She's downstairs talking to Momma."

"Momma couldn't wait to throw a dinner party to welcome you home. It was as if you had been gone for months. It hasn't even been a full week." I shook my head and chuckled.

"That's our momma. She'll find any reason to invite guests over and have a good meal, with family and friends."

"I agree with you there."

"I heard you invited Kendall. Momma said to tell you she's on her way." I knew he was curious about me and Savannah.

"I thought it would be nice to invite Kendall, since she and Andrea were best friends, before Savannah unexpectedly entered the picture. She—of all people would appreciate seeing you both back from your honeymoon. Her and Andrea can catch up." I made an easy reason for inviting her.

I didn't want to admit that I was looking forward to having her here by my side this evening. My brother was now married and my momma invited all married couples.

My brother rose to his feet and patted me on my back. "I'll see you downstairs."

I heard the front doorbell and voices downstairs. I looked out the window and caught sight of Kendall arriving in a beautiful royal blue dress. She looked stunning. The front of her hair was swept back into a ponytail. And the back of her hair hung loose. She walked, approaching the front door. I ran downstairs to meet her halfway.

"Hi Greyson." A smile lit up her face.

"Hey," I waved.

"I made sure to be on time."

"So I see." I winked and put my hand out for her to place hers in mine.

She hesitated and looked surprised. She gave me her hand as we walked toward the house. We walked in and everyone paused their conversation. I guess no one expected to see me with Kendall as my date. I think she and I were just as surprised. But it felt comfortable to have her with me. It was as if we hadn't skipped a beat.

I steered her in Momma's direction. "It's so good to have you join us for dinner Kendall." She hugged her.

"I'm happy Greyson invited me. I get to see Andrea right away." She nervously push back her hair and looked at the crowd surrounding Colton and Andrea. She waited patiently to greet her friends with a hug.