Chapter 30

Kendall

Savannah's eyes were glued to mine. Greyson cleared his throat to end the staring contest. Neither of us would have relented. He stood from his chair and she waltzed over to where we had been sitting peacefully eating our hors d'oeuvres.

"Hello Kendall." She spoke in a sugary sweet fake voice, her eyes crinkled at the corners.

"Hi," I gave her a half wave of my hand.

"Greyson, I thought you'd be here. I just figured I'd meet up with you at Carrington Ranch. I had to get a fresh manicure and find a dress to wear. I'm not fancy, but I didn't know it was formal." She spoke as if she had been invited all along and ignored my presence altogether, turning her back to me. I sighed inwardly thinking here we go.

Greyson apologized. "I'm sorry I never got to call this week. I've been busy at Carrington Enterprises. My father insists I learn the oil business. And I've been drawing up architectural plans for a new office complex."

She threaded her fingers through his. "Don't be silly, I know how stressed you are with work. You have your new position at Carrington Enterprises and I know how important your parents are to you. I figured the dinner party slipped your mind. I'm so excited Colton and Andrea are back home. I couldn't wait to see the newlyweds." She squealed and made sure to speak loudly so everyone present could overhear her conversation.

He rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand and began to speak. "Savannah, actually I invited Kendall to the dinner party." He stopped. "I dropped off a piece of wedding cake to her at her art gallery and we started talking about old times. I decided later to ask her to be here as my date. She and Andrea are best friends." I could tell he wasn't being totally honest. . . . He was saving face. Why can't he just stand up to her?

She looked down at the patio. "Oh, I see,"

Greyson gently lifted her her chin. I could see the tears glistening in her eyes. Why am I suddenly feeling bad for this woman? I guess because I know what it feels like to be hurt by someone you care very deeply for or that you love.

Ava noted what was happening. She clapped her hands together. "Everyone . . . dinner is ready to be served in the dining room." She looked at me, as Savannah whispered in Greyson's ear. Then, gracefully turned and stepped away toward the dining room.

The sun was setting, which was a breathtaking view at the ranch. Greyson leaned toward me. "Kendall I'm so sorry Savannah showed up for dinner. I hadn't planned on that. I haven't spoken to her all week. I should've been up front with her about a lot of things. I'm not in love with her. I felt an obligation to her after Noah's plane crashed. But that isn't the basis for a relationship."

I held a finger up to his lips. "It's okay. You don't have to explain. Believe it or not I get it. She is in love with you and you don't know how to communicate that you don't have feelings for her."

He let out a breath I didn't know he was holding. "This evening is all very awkward. You are more understanding than I have the right to expect. Can you please give me a chance to talk to Savannah?" He made direct eye contact with me. "I love you Kendall. I fell in love with you despite my feelings about remaining a bachelor. You're incomparable to anyone I've ever met, including Savannah." I was not expecting that revelation. I tried to remain composed.

I pulled my eyebrows together and nodded while listening to him. "I know you'll figure out the best way to resolve this situation. I know you," I whispered. I held back from saying that I loved him too. I have for a long time. But my heart has been through so many emotions, that it will take a while before I can utter those three words.

Greyson wrapped his arms around me and I leaned my head back on his chest as we watched the sunset together in silence. His momma stepped through the French doors at the back of the estate.

She coughed to let her presence be known. We both turned in her direction. "Everyone is seated and dinner is being served. I can have your plates brought to you out here on the patio if you'd like." I could tell she was thrilled to see our little romantic moment, watching the sunset. I could pinch myself to be with the man that broke through the solid concrete covering my heart and was holding it captive.

He looked at me. "It's your call. You're my date tonight. If you feel more comfortable sitting and eating dinner outside, then I don't mind. It might be a good idea, now that Savannah is here."

I bit my lip as I thought for a moment. "Ava I think that's a great idea. It will feel like a real date sitting on the patio under the stars and the patio lights. Not to mention . . . Greyson and I will get to talk during dinner, instead of a crowded dining room."

That was all she needed to hear. . . . In true Ava Carrington style—she had a table for two set up on the beautiful patio. Staff members were bustling. They put a linen tablecloth on the table, along with candles, place settings and silverware. Someone brought glasses, a pitcher of water, and a plate of butter with a basket of hot bread. We had a staff member wait on us like we were at a fine dining restaurant. It was the most amazing dinner date I've ever had. I don't know how this story ends, but tonight is perfect.

                           ~Don't forget to vote on the Chapter and/or Comment~