Chapter 14

Kendall

I stopped by the art gallery to see how business was going today. The gallery was filled. I was ecstatic to see faces from Victoria's engagement party there. People were viewing and purchasing artwork.

Sheila worked every Saturday. She really was the best assistant. I figured I would work this afternoon, and go over arrangements for the art exhibition next week. I was in my office, when I got the most shocking phone call.

I answered my office telephone. "Hello, this is Kendall Prescott. May I help you?"

A woman, that sounded like an operator began to speak. "I have a collect call from, Jack Moore. Will you accept the charges?" I was hesitant to say yes—I recognized that name immediately.

"Hello Kendall, this is Jack Moore. It's been twenty-four years since I've spoken to you, sweet pea." I never imagined hearing my father's voice, after all these years. Why was Daddy calling me?

Flashback. . .

"Sweet pea, Daddy is going away. I want you to know, I will always love you. Me and your momma aren't able to stay together. It has nothing to do with you. I wish I could take you with me. But, I will always remember you." Daddy cried.

Tears ran down my face, watching Daddy leave out the front door. I held on to his shirt and begged him to stay. He refused to turn around and I could hear him crying. He pointed. "Go back in the house with your momma."

My momma cried, as I ran into her outstretched arms. No one ever saw Daddy, again. Momma had to find work to support us—we were all alone.

"Sugarplum, I found a job at the diner, so we can continue living here. Mrs. Evans said you can stay at her house, with Andrea after school—until I get home. We have to make the best of our new circumstances." Momma smiled and tweaked my nose.

Momma never told me why Daddy left. I didn't want to ask her. I was six years old and she didn't want me to worry. I missed not growing up with my daddy.

End of Flashback. . .

"Daddy, how did you know I worked at the gallery here in Dallas?" I was still in shock hearing his voice.

"I know that you own the art gallery, Kendall. You changed your last name to Prescott. I've been following your life, for the past twenty-four years. I didn't feel worthy enough of your love." He broke down crying on the phone.

He got himself together. "I met your fiancé, Mark West. Let's just say, I've been in some legal trouble. I thought since your fiancé was a lawyer, he would help me. I explained my situation to him, and I told him I was your daddy."

"How long ago did you asked for Mark's help?" I had a hunch it was connected.

"It was a little over one year ago. Why do you want to know, sweet pea?" He questioned.

"Mark broke our engagement a little over one year ago, without an explanation. He recently got engaged to a wealthy fiancée. She knew that my last name was originally Moore. Mark dumped me, because he found out that I came from nothing." I put my hand under my chin. "Now it all makes sense. He knows from meeting you." I finally had an answer after all this time!