Chapter 22

Greyson

I anticipated dancing with Kendall as soon as the DJ invited us to the dance floor. Her hand in mine felt so soft, as we walked past Colton and Andrea. I remembered that she loved this song by Tori Kelly. Right now we really are paper hearts. Our feelings are fragile like paper.

It was bittersweet that our developing relationship was cut short by Savannah's phone call about Noah's plane crash. Kendall was someone I could see settling down with—which surprised me. My heart was like solid rock and I planned to remain a bachelor forever. The very woman that caused an indescribable hurt, was now front and center in my life again. I felt guilty for the way I treated Kendall. I know she must be beyond hurt.

I led her to believe we had a future. My family was happy I found a woman like her.

I was elated to hold her in my arms, as we glided across the dance floor. I took the lead—she seemed apprehensive, but began to sway as the music was playing. "Are you okay? You're so quiet," I put my lips close to her ear.

She quickly dropped her gaze to the floor. "I'm fine. Sorry, I'm in deep thought. I didn't know I'd be dancing with you."

"I didn't either, but it was a welcome surprise. You and I used to talk all the time. I miss you Kendall." I hadn't planned on disclosing that.

"Well, it seems Savannah changed the direction we were heading in." She stated quickly.

"I know," I put my head down. I was at a loss for any other words. "I'm happy we had this opportunity to dance together. I enjoyed being the best-man and getting to spend some time together in the wedding. Maybe we can have lunch soon." I blurted out.

"Maybe—" I cut her off with my finger to her lips. I didn't want her to say no to us having lunch.

"I enjoyed dancing with you." I kissed her on the lips and left the dance floor. I was afraid she read I still had feelings for her.

Savannah immediately drilled me with a long stare. "You looked awfully cozy out there dancing with Kendall. I think she wishes she were still in a relationship with you." She stated in a not so happy tone, crossing her arms.

I leaned in close. "Let's not discuss Kendall. She was my friend before Noah's plane crashed. She is off limits and probably wants nothing to do with me after the way I've ignored her." Savannah knew what I was inferring and became quiet.

The waiters started bringing trays of food to everyone's table. Dinner was being served. I left without a word and went back to my seat at the bridal table. Dinner had officially begun.

*****

Kendall
I walked back to my seat at the bridal table. I tried not to let my shoulders slouch. I had to be stoic and smiled, as I received comments from guests dining at tables. "Nice to see you dance with Grey." One woman spoke as she caught my attention. I nodded. Another covered her mouth, whispering to her friend seated next to her.

I wish I felt happy and in the mood to enjoy the wedding reception festivities. "Oh, Kendall, the waiter just sat your plate of food down . . . perfect timing." Andrea looked at my face and her expression changed. She showed nothing but empathy in her eyes. She had to imagine how extremely difficult this whole wedding day has been for me.

"Thank you," I managed.

I poked at my food—moving it around on my plate. I cut into my medium rare prime rib and took a few bites, along with my garlic mashed potatoes. I couldn't eat, my stomach was in knots. I pushed my plate away and stared at my cellphone to look busy. I did that to keep calm and not run for the nearest exit.

I so badly wanted to leave, but Brody was seated at the other bridal table. He was chatting away, with one of his old buddies. I didn't want to peel him away from his dinner and his cousin's wedding reception. Brody is like Colton and Greyson's brother. I had to get myself in check and somehow make it through the rest of the evening. No one could imagine the inner turmoil I was feeling after dancing with Greyson. I kept reliving the moment. I'm not supposed to like him, but I couldn't help my traitorous heart, once again.

"How are you sugarplum?" Ava gave my hand a squeeze. "I saw you from across the room and I had to come over and chat with you." She moved an empty chair over to sit next to me. She put her hand on the side of my face. "I was so happy to see you dance with my son, but I was sad at the same time. I knew that would be difficult for you, as he walked away—once the music ended."

I turned to face her. "I-I . . .Gre . . ." Nothing but plump teardrops fell on my lap.

"Shhh . . . it's going to be okay darlin," she spoke tenderly, like my momma would have.

I wiped my eyes with the palms of my hands and had to regain my composure. Andrea put her arm around my shoulder and gave me a hug when she saw what was happening. "Kendall I think it's time for you to go home. I understand. You've been such a good friend throughout all of my wedding planning—up today's events." She took my hands. "If there was an award ceremony for best maid of honor . . . you'd win. But now it's time for you to go home." She tilted her head to the side, looking at me.

A deep voice voice interrupted out of the blue. "Can I do anything to help?" There stood Greyson. He looked so handsome in his black tuxedo. What could he possibly do?

"I overheard your conversation. I'm sorry, I wasn't intentionally eavesdropping. My car is here—I can take you back to Carrington Ranch. I'll get Brody. We'll be back at the reception festivities in no time. All of the bridesmaids arrived here in the limousine." I'm happy Greyson remembered that important fact. I forgot my car wasn't here.

"I hate to be a bother, are you sure?" I looked at him timidly.

"You're not a bother." His gray eyes smiled. Let me grab Brody and inform him of what's going on.

He went over and spoke to Brody at his table. Brody stood and headed in my direction with Greyson by his side. I would never have imagined Greyson taking me to get my car. I'm sure he sensed why I needed to leave and that he was part of the reason. Savannah stopped us as me, Greyson, and Brody were exiting the reception venue.

"You didn't tell me you were leaving Grey." She looked puzzled. "I'll grab my things and leave with the three of you."

"I'm not leaving. Kendall is going home. She isn't feeling well. I volunteered to drop her off at her car—it's at Carrington Ranch. I'm taking Brody, so no one is suspicious of anything other than that. We'll be right back." He touched her arm and she seemed to calm down. I'm so happy to be leaving. I'm going to get a pint of my favorite ice cream out of my freezer and reenergize. This was an exhausting day.

                                            Please don't forget to Vote and/or Comment~❤️