Chapter 116

Chris watched Becs run out of the soundstage, feeling every inch the asshole she'd accused him of being.
For a couple of seconds, no one spoke, until Rob broke the silence.
'What the FUCK, Chris?' He demanded.
'What the hell did you say that for?' Scarlett joined in. 'Go after her now and apologise!'
There's no point.
Chris shook his head. 'Just leave it.'
'You complete bastard!' Viv turned to him with disgust. 'How dare you?! She's not nothing special! She's wonderful! And she can do so much better than you...you bell end!' She shouted and then stormed off too.
Bettany snorted.
'I've got no idea what that meant, but I'm pretty sure it was an insult.' Ruffalo said.
'Oh, it was an insult.' Bettany agreed. 'A rather colourful English one - she basically just called you a dick.' He said to Chris.
'Well, she's not wrong.' Rob replied. 'What were you thinking?' He asked Chris.
'I said leave it.' Chris pushed his way out of the group.
'Chris?!' Scarlett called, but he ignored her and strode off set.
No. I can't talk about it.
He didn't stop until he reached his trailer, shutting the door and leaning against it.
What just happened?
How the hell did we get to here?

Becca reached her car in floods of tears, before remembering that she didn't have her keys - they'd had to leave everything with Security.
Oh God!
'Becca, wait!' Viv ran up to her and pulled her into a hug. 'I'm so sorry.' She said.
The affectionate gesture made Becca cry even harder.
Becca pulled away after a couple of minutes, wiping her face and sniffing. 'It's not your fault that he acted like-' she began.
'Like a complete asshole?' Viv interrupted, vehemently.
'Yeah.' Becca's voice cracked a little. 'I can't believe he said...' she trailed off.
'Hey! Don't you even think about that! You're very special! You're funny and clever and gorgeous, and if he can't see that, then he's a complete moron...as well as an asshole!'
Becca smiled a little through her tears. 'Thanks, Viv.'
'What do you wanna do?' Viv asked.
'I just want to get out of here and go home.' Becca admitted. 'But we've got to go and get our stuff and hand back these passes.'
'Do you need a minute? Or do you want to go and wash your face?'
I just wanna get out of here as quickly as possible,  because if I see any of them again, I'll just die.
Becca took a deep breath. 'No, I'd rather just get it over with. I wish I had a pair of sunglasses to hide behind, though.'

Viv did most of the talking, but it was obvious to everyone that she'd been crying. One of the guards even asked Becca if she was okay and she'd had to lie and say that she was fine - an irony not lost on her.
'Are you sure you're okay to drive?' Viv asked her as they got back into the car. 'We could call for a cab.'
'I just wanna go, Viv.'

She managed to hold it together on the way home with only a little bit of sniffling and wiping her eyes, but once she stopped outside her place, she burst into tears again.
'Why'd he say those things, Viv?'
'I don't know.' Viv stroked her hair.
'I mean, he seemed so nice before.'
'I know.'
'And h-he...' Becca tailed off.
'Why don't we get you indoors and make you a nice cup of tea?' Viv suggested. 'I think a shower might make you feel better too.'
'Okay.' Becca said, sniffling, and followed Viv indoors.
She wasn't looking forward to going through it all again for Ella and Justin, so it was a relief when Ella met Becca at the door with a hug and said, 'What a bastard!'
'Viv texted me what happened.' She added.
Thank you, Viv.
'Shall I put the kettle on?' Justin asked.
'Sod the kettle, get the Jack Daniels out!' Ella replied.
Becca couldn't help a small laugh. 'Thanks, but I think I'm gonna have a shower first.'
She walked through to the bathroom and sighed, seeing her reflection. A blotchy face with red, swollen eyes looked back at her.
She really did look like nothing special.

As she walked back through to the lounge a while later, she could hear Ella working herself up into a full-on rant.
'And he really said that? What a twat! God, I wish I'd been there - I'd have given him a piece of my mind!'
'Ella, shhhh!' Viv whispered loudly.
'Don't shhh me!' Ella replied crossly. 'In fact, I'm tempted to march down there right now and tell him what a wanker he is and-' she stopped abruptly as Becca walked in.
'Hey sweetie.' Viv said, coming over and giving her a hug. 'Did the shower help?'
'A bit. Maybe.' Becca said, attempting a smile.
'I've made you a cup of tea.' Justin said, passing it over.
'Thanks, Just.' She said, taking a couple of sips and instantly feeling a little better as the tea worked its magic.
It was such a British thing to do, that she felt a sudden homesickness - it didn't matter if you never drank tea the rest of the time, when you were upset that's what you did. Americans just didn't get that, Chris probably wouldn't-
She shut the thought down.
No! I'm not going to think about him.
She turned to Ella. 'And, I appreciate the sentiment Els, but I somehow don't think security would let you march in there to spout insults.' Becca said.
'Yeah, well...' Ella grumbled.
'It's probably a good thing that you weren't there.' Becca added, knowing how protective her friend could be. 'I'd probably be trying to raise bail money right now, if you had been.'
Ella snorted. 'It's possible.'
'Besides, it sounds like Viv told him for the both of us anyway.' Ella added, proudly.
'You did?' Becca looked at Viv in surprise.
'A little.' Viv looked a little sheepish.
'What did you say?' Becca asked.
'She told him that he was a total bellend and that you could do so much better than him.' Ella said.
Becca smiled a little. 'Thanks Viv.'
While she was grateful for the comment, it was clearly bullshit. She could do better than him? Better than Chris Evans? He wasn't just hot, he was funny, kind and sweet - or at least he had been until two days ago.
'I don't get it.' Becca said, shaking her head.
'What?'
'I don't get what changed - I mean, he seemed so sweet and considerate before, and he definitely seemed...interested. Didn't he? I mean, he was always in touch and wanting to meet up. I didn't imagine it, did I?'
'No, you didn't imagine it.' Viv agreed.
'But then the last two days he's been totally different - he was weird yesterday, and today...it was so obvious he didn't want me there.' She shook her head, remembering. 'Do you think it was me? Do you think I did something?'
'No! You didn't do anything wrong.' Viv said.
'Guys are just dicks sometimes.' Ella said. 'No, offence.' She added to Justin.
'None taken.'
'But maybe I-' Becca began.
'Hey! It wasn't you.' Viv said 'It's him. It's awful, but at least you found out what he's really like now. You didn't waste too much time on him.'
'Yeah, I mean, look at Viv - she was with The Arsehole for three years-'
'And he was a bastard the whole time!' Justin interrupted. 'God, I hated that guy.'
'Join the club - we've got t-shirts.' Ella joked.
Justin snorted.
'But it's not you, and it's nothing you did, honey - some guys are just twats when it comes to dating, they mess people around, they say one thing and do another.' Ella continued. 'I mean, you remember Seth, who seemed totally into me and desperate for us to get serious? Right up until the point when I said 'yes' and then he backed off at a hundred miles an hour?' She added to Becca.
'Yeah, he was an idiot.' Becca said, remembering how cut up her friend had been about that.
'But anyway, what we need right now is not moping over loser guys.' Ella said. 'We need cocktails! Vivian!'
'Good idea.' Viv said. 'How does an espresso martini sound?'
'Sounds perfect. Thanks guys.' Becca said.