Chapter 123

A/N: Hey everyone! I thought that I'd give you guys a new chapter as an early Christmas present 🎁 😆 - just kidding!
But I hope you enjoy it and I hope you all have a good Christmas. xxx

****
Norfolk, England
Wednesday 19th December
11.56pm

'Ooops.'
'Shhhhhhhh!' Becca whispered, giggling, as Viv noisily knocked over a potted plant, sending mud everywhere.
'Sorry, sorry.' Viv said, righting it. 'Let me just hoover...'
'You can't hoover at midnight, you'll wake the whole house up!' Justin laughed. 'If you haven't already.'
'You are so wasted.' Becca teased.
'I told you that you shouldn't have had that last cocktail.' Justin said. 'I mean, what possessed you to try something called a 'Zombie' anyway?'
'Don't be a buzzkill.' Viv grumbled.
'Come on, let's get some coffee in you.' Becca said, steering her towards the kitchen.
'You're the best.' Viv slurred, hugging Becca. 'I love you. You know that, don't you?'
Becca laughed. 'Yes, I know you do. And I love you too.'
Viv plonked herself down hard onto a sofa. 'But you're going back to America tomorrow.' She pouted, mood rapidly changing. 'Gonna miss you.'
'Mood swings much?' Justin muttered.
'You won't have time to miss me - you'll be too busy swanning around the Caribbean.' Becca pointed out, getting out cups and boiling the kettle.
'Come with us!' Viv urged.
'What, on a boat? No thank you!' Becca pulled a face. 'You know me and boats.'
Viv nodded gloomily, eyes looking a little glazed.
'I think proper coffee might be called for.' Becca added, reaching for the cafetière and the coffee grounds.
'I'm not sure she's going to stay awake that long.' Justin indicated towards Viv, whose head was already drooping and her eyes closing.
'I could poke her.' Justin added.
'No, let her go to sleep.' Becca smiled as Viv laid her head down on the sofa. 'She's had a rough few months - she hasn't mentioned it much, but I know she's still cut up about that arsehole getting engaged.'
'What a bastard! You know, I saw him in town a few weeks ago.' Justin said. 'It was all I could do not to punch his smug face.'
'I'd have liked to have seen that.'
'You and me both.'
'Coffee's ready.' Becca announced a minute later. 'Do you want one?'
'Please. I think my sister's out for the count.'
'I'll get a blanket for her in a bit and she can sleep it off.'
They sipped the coffee for a minute in companionable silence.
'So, you're going back to America tomorrow then.' Justin said.
'Yeah.'
'What time's your flight?'
'I've got to be at Heathrow for check-in at 2.45pm.'
'It's not going to be the same having Christmas without you.' Justin said, playfully nudging her with his shoulder.
'You know you'll all have an amazing time in the Caribbean.' Becca pointed out. 'Plus, we got to have an early Christmas this year.'
'Yeah - has it been good to come home and catch up with everyone?' He asked.
'Yes, it's been great to see everyone and have a proper British Christmas.'
For a few moments they sipped their coffees in companionable silence.
'Becky?' Justin said quietly.
'Yeah?'
'I don't know if I should say this or not, but I'm so glad that we've managed to reconnect and be friends again...I missed you this last year.'
'Aww, I missed you too, Just.' Becca said, giving him a hug.
'And, I'm sorry...for how everything worked out with us - I never meant to hurt you.'
'I know you didn't.' Becca reached over and gave his hand a quick, reassuring squeeze. 'I'm sorry it took me so long to get to this point.'
'So, what are you going to do about the American?' Justin asked a minute later.
'You mean Chris?'
'Yeah.'
Becca sighed. 'I honestly don't know.'
'I think your mum's right - you should talk to him when you get back.' Justin suggested.
'You too? What happened to 'he's a dick, tell him to fuck off'?'
'Well, Viv pointed out that maybe I'd been a bit biased for my own reasons.'
'What d'you mean?'
'She said maybe I'd taken against him so much because I was jealous.' He admitted. 'Not in a romantic way.' He added quickly.
Becca frowned, confused.
'Look, I know that it's really petty and childish, but no one likes to be replaced by someone so much better.' Justin said.
Becca laughed. 'Seriously, Justin?'
'Oh come on - he's rich, famous, built, and so fucking hot!'
'You sure that you don't fancy him?' Becca laughed.
'Very funny. But you know what I mean - he's an upgrade in every way. It's a little bit rough on the old ego. It was just easier to think of him as a bastard.'
'No one's perfect, Just. Everyone has downsides.'
'Even Chris Evans?'
Becca nodded.
'Must be pretty big downsides.' Justin pointed out.
Yeah.
'You know that you can talk to me about it if you like, it wouldn't be weird.' He said.
'It wouldn't?' Becca asked disbelievingly.
'Well, maybe a bit weird.' Justin admitted with a laugh. 'But we used to be able to talk to each other about anything, and I'd like to be able to do that again.'
Becca hesitated, unsure if she should talk to him. But in the end the couple of drinks she'd had tipped her in the direction of honesty.
'I'd like that too, Just.'
'Good. So, what are these downsides?'
'Well, like you said, he's gorgeous and so very famous.'
'And...?'
'Well, I'm just me - I work in the library and I love Disney and I own a pair of ratty pyjamas. How is someone like me supposed to date someone like Chris? He goes to premieres and parties and people are always taking his picture - he should be with someone like-'
'I'm going to stop you right there.' Justin interrupted. 'Because it sounds like you're implying that you're not good enough to date him, and that's just bullshit!'
'He usually dates actresses and models - beautiful, sophisticated people who can handle that kind of lifestyle.'
'You're beautiful and sophisticated.' Justin insisted.
Becca snorted.
'Yeah, right. But do I want that lifestyle? The fans? The paparazzi? I mean, can you imagine how much media scrutiny there'd be if a normal person like me dated someone like Chris Evans?' She said with a shudder.
'Well yeah, there'd probably be quite a bit to start with, but if you were both happy, it wouldn't matter what other people thought.'
'I just wonder if I'd be better off with a normal guy who I could have a normal time with.'
'I guess that's what you've got to decide.'
'Yeah. But it could all be a moot point anyway - I deleted his number and blocked it, I can't call him and he can't call me.' Becca pointed out.
'You know, I'm pretty sure there's a way to unblock numbers, even if they've been deleted - ask Ella when you get back, she'll know.'
'Yeah, maybe.' She yawned. 'I think I'm ready to hit the sack. Are you okay letting yourself out?'
'Yeah.' Justin said, getting up.
She put a blanket over Viv and then turned out the light.
'Night Justin.' She said.
'Night Becky.'

Thursday 20th December
2.15pm
Heathrow Airport, London

Becca wandered into the shopping area to distract herself - the goodbyes with her Mum, Dad, Viv and Justin had been harder than she'd expected. But after many hugs and promises to FaceTime them all on Christmas Day, and that she wouldn't leave it so long to come home next time, they'd said goodbye.
Not five minutes later her phone started buzzing.

Mum
Have a safe journey darling. Love you. From mum and dad xxx

Becca smiled to herself at the way her mum always signed her texts.

Becca to Mum
I love you both too xx

Justin
Me and Viv are missing you already 😢

Becca to Justin
I'm missing you both too

Then a message from Viv came through

Viv
Would you be okay if Ella added Justin back onto the WhatsApp group with us?

Becca to Viv
Yes, of course

Viv
You're sure?

Becca to Viv
Yes, 100%

She wandered into the Lindt shop, and couldn't help thinking of Chris as she browsed, wondering what he'd think of this or that.

Ella 👑 has added Justin 🐷 to the group My Girls

Becca 💕
Morning Ella 👋🏻

Becca 💕
And welcome Justin 😁

Justin 🐷
Ella - why is my avatar a pig?!

Viv 🦋
Do you even need to ask that question? 😆

Ella 👑
Because you eat more than anyone I've ever met 🍔🌭🥪🍕🍟🌮🍝🍭🍨🎂🧁🍪🍩🍿🍫

Justin 🐷
Well, that's just rude 😝

Ella 👑
😝

Ella 👑
What time are you getting back Becca?

Becca 💕
My flight gets into Logan at 7.30pm Boston time

Ella 👑
Well brace yourself - we've had some serious snow since you left and it's bloody freezing now! 🥶

Justin 🐷
That sounds terrible Ella - I'll be thinking of you when I'm sunning myself in the Caribbean ☀️ 🕶 🍹

Ella 👑
🖕🏻 Justin

Justin 🐷
😆

Ella 👑
Are you at the airport Becca?

Becca
Yeah, just in the Lindt store wondering how many of these bad boys to buy

Becca Yeah, just in the Lindt store wondering how many of these bad boys to buy

Ella 👑
Gotta love a chocolate reindeer 🦌

Becca 💕
Absolutely.

She grabbed a couple and was making her way to the till when she spotted a funny Christmas tree-shaped box filled with Lindor balls.
Chris would love that.
She made herself walk away.
I'm not buying it for him. I'll probably never see him again.
Plus, he still acted like an asshole.
After a couple of steps she hesitated.
But I like them too. I could get them for me.
Yes, definitely for me. Not for Chris in any way, shape or form.