Chapter 84

A/N: I'm just going to pre-empt the comments, by saying: no, they don't get together yet - they will do, but I've got a couple of roadblocks to throw in their path first because I've been entirely too nice recently.
C xx

****
'So, are you looking forward to your first proper Thanksgiving meal?' Chris asked as they neared the house.
'Definitely.' Becca said with a grin. 'Although I am quite curious about some things.'
'Like what?'
'Well, do you guys really have that sweet potato dish with marshmallows on the top? Or is that just something that's on tv?'
Chris laughed. 'You'll have to wait and see.'
He opened the door. 'After you.' He said to Becca.
As Becca stepped into the kitchen she could see Lisa putting dishes onto the table.
'Perfect timing.' Lisa said to them. 'Chris, can you please let everyone know that dinner is ready?'
'Sure.' Chris said, glancing at Becca.
'Becs is fine here with me for a minute.' She said in a no nonsense voice.
Oh shit, she wants to talk to me, doesn't she?
Chris looked at Becca as though checking she was fine with this.
Be brave, Becca.
She gave him a small nod.
Lisa watched until he was out of sight, then came over to Becca.
'Becs my dear, I'm so sorry about Carly's behaviour earlier.' She said, taking both Becca's hands in hers. 'How you must have felt!'
'It's okay.' Becca said, trying to make light of it.
'It was far from okay - behaving like that towards someone who's a guest in my house? It was unforgivably rude, as i pointed out to her in no uncertain terms!'
'I was thoroughly ashamed of her.' She continued.
Sounds like Carly got the riot act read to her.
'To be honest, it did...err...upset me a bit to begin with.' Becca admitted. 'But she apologised, and told me what had happened with her other pregnancy, and then I understood why she'd reacted that way.'
'Well, it's extremely kind of you to be so forgiving about it all.' Lisa said. 'She does have some issues, and God knows we understand what she's been through, but that's no excuse to behave like that.'
'Well, she said sorry, so as far as I'm concerned it's all in the past. I'd really rather just forget about it, and not let it ruin everyone's Thanksgiving.' Becca said.
'Of course.' Lisa said with a warm smile, letting go of Becca's hands as the others came through.
Chris gave her a slightly concerned look when he came through, so she smiled warmly to reassure him and went over.
'Hey.' She said. 'So, do we have special seats, or is it just sit where you want?
'Sit anywhere.' Chris said. 'Although I'd avoid Scotty - he always tries to snarf the best bits. You won't get a look in.' He added a bit louder.
Scotty grinned at him. 'Just because you're too slow.'
'I'm going to sit next to Becs.' Grace announced in a loud voice.
'You can't.' Ethan said.' Grandma Lisa already said that I could.'
'Well, that's not fair - why do you get to sit next to her?'
'Because I asked first.'
'Yes, Ethan already asked, Grace.' Lisa said, making Grace scowl.
Becca had to hide a smile when they pulled faces at each other behind Lisa's back
'This all looks amazing Mrs Evans.' She said, sitting down.
Lisa opened her mouth to speak and Becca realised her mistake. 'Sorry - Lisa. I will get the hang of that eventually.'

The meal was amazing, although slightly odd in places to a Brit, not that Becca would ever be rude enough to say that.
'Another slice of pecan pie, Becca?' Lisa asked.
'No thank you. If I eat anything else I will quite literally explode.' Becca laughed. 'But it all tasted fantastic, thank you.'
'Literally explode?' Laughed Chris.
'Yes. I ate too much.' Moaned Becca.
'It's Thanksgiving, that's what you're meant to do.'
'You don't do anything horribly energetic now, like go for a walk, do you?' Becca asked.
Chris chuckled. 'No, don't worry, nothing like that. We usually just crash for a bit and watch the game on tv.'
'That sounds perfect.'
'Then me and Scotty argue over who's going to help dad with the washing up.' Chris added.
'It's going to be you.' Scotty said as he walked past.
Chris laughed. 'Come on.' He said to Becca.

They just sat and relaxed for about half an hour, until Chris's dad stood up and said 'Well, those dishes aren't going to wash themselves. Which one of you two's helping me?'
Chris and Scotty both pointed to each other and laughed.
'Rock, paper, scissors?' Chris asked.
'No, I think...Slaps!' Scotty said with a grin.
'Oh, feeling lucky are we?' Chris replied.
'Oh yeah.' Scotty said, coming over and sitting opposite Chris, putting his hands out. 'You might want to move out of the way Becs, this can get a bit violent.' He added.
'What's Slaps?' Becca asked as she watched Chris put his palms on top of Scotty's.
'You never played Slaps?' Scotty asked.
'No. I've seen it on tv and stuff, but I've never played it myself.'
'Well, the person with their hands underneath has to try and slap the hands of the person on top, and they have to try and pull their hands away.'
Without warning, he slapped Chris's hands hard.
'Like that.' He said, grinning. 'One nil to me.'
Ouch. That must have hurt.
'That doesn't count! I wasn't ready, we hadn't started.' Chris protested.
Scotty just laughed. 'Okay, okay. Just showing Becs how it's done.'
'Yeah? Well, laugh now, because you're not going to be laughing when I destroy you.'
'Right, first one to three slaps wins.' Scotty said. 'Go.'
Becca was glad that she'd moved out of the way, because both of them were trying to hit the other as hard as they could, and anyone nearby could easily have gotten elbowed.
Bloody hell, that must really hurt.
They seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves though, laughing and trash talking all the way through, and when it got to two all, it just got harder.
'Yes!' Scotty cried when he managed to slap Chris again. 'Yes! I win! You have to go and deal with the mountain of washing up.'
'Best of five?' Chris asked hopefully.
'No chance loser.' Scotty said, making Chris laugh.
'Okay, okay.' Chris said, getting up.
'You going to be alright?' He asked Becca softly.
Becca nodded, surprisingly she was okay with it.