Chapter 80

A/N: Hi everyone! This is the first bit of thanksgiving - hope you enjoy it. And just so you know, the relationships and people won't be the same as in real life because I'm not trying to do that. C xx
****

'Well, here we are.' Chris said, pulling up outside a surprisingly normal looking house on a normal looking street.
'This is your parent's house?' Becca asked in surprise.
'What? Not what you expected?'
'No, it's very normal looking. I was expecting something a bit...'
'Flashier?'
'Well, yeah, to be honest.'
'This is the house we all grew up in.' He explained. 'After all the Marvel stuff took off, I tried to buy them somewhere else, but they didn't want to move.'
She could imagine that Chris would have been very generous with the house he wanted to buy his parents. It said a lot about them that they wanted to stay here.
'So, you ready to go in?' He asked.
Becca took a deep breath and then nodded. 'Okay.'
Chris got the flowers out of the car and then led the way to the front door.
'I love the wreath.' Becca said with a smile, pointing to the one hanging on the door that was shaped like Mickey Mouse.
'Carly makes them.' He said. 'She does a different one for every holiday.'
'Wow. That's really impressive. I guess you must be a creative family.'
Becca braced herself as Chris opened the door and after a moment's hesitation, she followed him in.
'We're here.' Chris called.
Oh God, here we go.
She heard a child's voice shriek 'Uncle Chris!' And then the sound of running footsteps.
A second or two later, a small girl in a Frozen dress practically threw herself into Chris's arms.
'Hey Stella.' He said, catching her and holding her in a one-armed hug.
'I'm Elsa.' The little girl said.
'That's quite the welcome.' Becca said. 'How much did you pay her to do that?' She joked.
'A hundred bucks.' He said, straight faced and then grinned. 'This is Stella, my niece.'
'Hello Stella.' Becca said, smiling. 'That's an amazing dress you've got on there.'
'I'm Elsa.' She said more firmly.
'Oh sorry. Hello Elsa, I like your dress.' Becca said seriously.
The little girl smiled. 'Why do you sound funny?' She asked.
Chris looked a little embarrassed. 'Sorry, she's four.' He said by way of  explanation.
'That's okay.' Becca said, laughing.
'I sound funny because I'm from a different country - England, and this is how people sound over there.' She explained to Stella.
'Oh.' Stella said. 'Do you know Frozen?'
'Yes.' Becca said, amused by the swift change in topic. 'Yes, I like Frozen very much.'
'I like Elsa.' The little girl said.
'I could tell that by your beautiful dress.' Becca said, smiling. 'I like Kristoff and Sven the best.'
'I got a Frozen book for my birthday.'
'Wow. I'd love to see that sometime.' Becca said.
Just then an older lady with blonde hair came out of the kitchen. 'Hello.' She said, smiling warmly.
Oh God, that must be Chris's mum! Don't panic.
'Mom, this is Becs. Becs, this is my mom Lisa Evans.' Chris said.
Becca was just about to make a polite greeting when Chris's mum hugged her.
'It's so nice to meet you Becs.' She said. 'I'm so glad you decided to come.'
She's hugging me!
'Umm...nice to meet you too Mrs Evans.' Becca said, a little taken aback by the greeting.
'Oh, Lisa, please.' His mum said.
'Umm...okay.' Becca said, and then remembered herself. 'Oh, these are for you.' She said, taking the flowers from Chris and giving them to Lisa.
'Oh honey, they're beautiful. Thank you.' She beamed at Becca, and hugged her again.
She's obviously a hugger - just let her do it.
'Err...you're welcome. I wanted to get them to say thank you for letting me join in with your Thanksgiving.' Becca said.
'We're glad to have you.' Lisa said, touching Becca's arm.
'So, mom, where is everyone?' Chris asked.
Lisa directed her attention to her son, taking her hand off Becca's arm.
Becca wasn't sure if he'd done it on purpose to distract his mum's attention away from her or not, but either way it was a  it of a relief.
'Most of them are out on a walk, they should be back soon to see the start of the parade. Ethan and your dad are in the workshop. Why don't you take Becs out and introduce them?' She said.
'Sure.' Chris said, and led her through the kitchen and out into the garden.
'So that's your mum?' Becca said. 'She seems really nice.'
'She is. But...umm...I probably should have warned you that she's a really affectionate person.' Chris said. 'She hugs everyone.'
You're not kidding.
'I know you don't really like being touched.' He added.
'It was fine.' She lied.
'Really? Because you looked kind of uncomfortable.' He said.
She looked up at him, worried that he'd think she been rude to his mum, but he grinned and she realised he was teasing.
'That obvious, huh?' She said. 'I thought I hid it.'
'Don't worry, it was only obvious to me, I don't think mom even noticed.'
'Good.' Becca said. 'I hope she didn't.'
'And it's not that I never like being touched.' Becca went on. 'I just struggle to begin with. The more I get to know someone, the easier it gets.'
'That's good to know.' Chris said seriously.
I'm not sure how to reply to that.
'And on the bright side, at least you didn't mention serial killers.' Chris added, lightening the mood.
Becca laughed.
'This is my dad's workshop.' Chris said, opening the door to a large outbuilding. Inside Becca could hear grinding noises. 'Don't worry, he won't hug you.' He said with a grin.
'Dad.' Chris yelled and the grinding stopped.
A man probably in his early sixties looked up from a wood turner where he'd been working and smiled.
'Hello son.' He said.
Next to him stood a boy, maybe ten or eleven, who looked at her nervously.
'Becs, this is my dad Bob.' Chris said, walking over.
'Hello there Becs.' Chris's dad said, extending a hand.
'Hello Mr Evans.' Becca said, shaking his hand.
'Call me Bob, please.'
Chris walked over to the boy and casually put his arm round his shoulders. 'And this is my nephew Ethan.'
'Hi Ethan.' Becca said with a smile, but the boy just looked at her and then looked down at his feet.
'He's a bit shy.' Chris explained.
'Say 'hello' Ethan.' Bob said, but the boy just looked more uncomfortable.
'It's okay. He doesn't have to say 'hello' right now.' Becca said, recognising a kindred spirit. 'He can say it whenever he's ready.'
'Becs said she'd like to see how you make your pieces.' Chris said.
Becca knew that she hadn't said anything of the sort, so she assumed that he'd said it to distract the attention away from Ethan.
'Oh, well.' Bob said, looking pleased to be able to explain. 'This is the finished product.' He said, holding up a wooden vase that had been stained to bring out all the natural colours of the wood.'
'That's beautiful.' Becca said. 'Does it take you long to make?'
'A few hours start to finish. Would you like to have a try?' He asked, holding up a sharp looking tool and indicating to the piece of wood he'd been working on.
'Oh, no thanks.' Becca said. 'We really don't need me to ruin Thanksgiving by chopping my fingers off.'
Chris chuckled and she was sure that she saw the tiniest touch of a smile on Ethan's face too.
Just then Scotty came into the workshop.
'Hey Becs.' He said, coming over and giving her a hug.
'Hi Scotty.' She said.
'Mom said to tell you all that the parade's about to start.' Scotty said.
'Well, come on then.' He said to Becca. 'You don't want to miss the start.'