Chapter 121

Hi guys - I was debating with myself about whether to post these two chapters or not, because I recently had someone post lots of really critical comments and I kind of lost faith in the story a bit. But I figured that even if someone thinks it's utter garbage, there are some of you that are enjoying it, and you'd probably want to know what happens next. So here you go...
And because there are a lot of characters in this one, I thought I'd just clarify who is who -
John and Thelma are Becca's parents
Roger and Susan are Viv and Justin's parents
***

Norfolk, England
Wednesday 12th December

'There!' Becca's dad said as they finally dragged the Christmas tree into its usual place in the lounge.
'That weighs a ton.' Becca panted.
'Maybe we should have waited for Viv and Justin to come round and help.' He said.
'If they ever do - at this point I'm starting to wonder if Viv has turned into Sleeping Beauty and it's gonna take a hundred years for her to wake up.'
'You slept for a long time when you first came back.' Her dad pointed out.
'Not this long!'
Her dad looked up at the tree that stretched to the ceiling.
'Your mother's outdone herself this time.' He joked.
'It is kinda large.' Becca agreed.
'She's trying to go all out this year because she feels bad about leaving you on your own for Christmas.'
'I know. But really, I'll be fine dad.'
They were interrupted by a thud from upstairs followed by muffled swearing.
Becca and her dad shared a look.
'I think I should go and help your mother find the tree decorations.' He said.
'Yeah, I think you're about to get told off again for the state of the loft.' Becca laughed.
'Probably.'
The doorbell rang. 'I'll get it - you go and help mum.' Becca said
'Finally!' She said, opening the door to Viv and Justin. 'I was beginning to wonder if you were ever gonna wake up.'
'Yeah, yeah.' Viv laughed, walking in.
'Come in. Welcome to the annual argument about decorating the tree.' Becca said.
'Every single year.' Viv laughed.
'Your parents crack me up.' Justin grinned, as the sound of good natured bickering floated down from the loft.
'That's a big tree!' Viv said.
'Bloody hell! Did she nick it from Trafalgar Square?' Justin joked.
'It's not that big, Just.' Becca laughed. 'Dad says that she's overcompensating because she feels bad about going away.'
'You think?' He said, sarcastically.
'You're going to need a lot of decorations.' Viv said.
'Luckily, that's never been a problem in this house.' Becca replied.
'True.'
'Found the decorations.' Becca's mum said, walking back into the room carrying a large box. 'Oh hello Viv dear, hello Justin.' She said, kissing both of them in turn.
'And I found the decorations that she tried to hide.' Her dad said with a grin, carrying a smaller box.
'Don't believe a word of it.' Her mum said to Justin.
'Really? They just ended up on the other side of the loft under a pile of boxes by themselves, did they?' Her dad asked.
'I'm sure I have no idea what you mean, John.' Her mum said with mock-innocence. 'Maybe if the loft wasn't in such a state, you'd be able to find things.'
'It's not that bad - I know where everything is.'
'Not that bad?' He mum echoed. 'My life flashed in front of my eyes several times tripping over things!'
Her dad laughed. 'You do exaggerate.' He said affectionately.
Becca smiled sadly - listening to her parents affectionately tease each other and joke around just reminded her how much she wanted that with someone.
I thought I had that with Chris.
Guess I was wrong.
'Hey.' Viv tapped her lightly on the arm. 'You okay?' She asked.
'Yeah.' She said, pulling herself together. 'I'll be fine.'
'Let me help you with that, Thelma.' Justin said, taking the box from her mum. 'Wow. This can't be everything - it's really light.'
'Of course not. There's another three boxes in the hall.' Her dad pointed out.
Once they'd carried all the boxes through, the decorating began in earnest, as did the banter. Every year her parents affectionately bickered over what decorations to put on the tree - her mum always tried to make a tasteful, colour-coordinated tree, while her dad always insisted on adding some old and tacky ones.

'That looks great!' Her mum said, a couple of hours later, smiling at every colour-coordinated bauble and twinkling light.
'I feel like I'm in Santa's Grotto.' Her dad laughed.
'Maybe one more set of lights over there.' He mum pointed at the far side of the room.
'Any more lights and you're going to overload the national grid!' Her dad joked.
'Besides, I don't think there are any more sets in here.' Justin pointed out, looking in the boxes.
'I don't think there are any more sets in the whole world.' Becca joined in.
'The tree looks amazing though, Thelma.' Viv said.
'Creep!' Justin whispered, making Becca snort with laughter.
'It does look good,' her dad agreed. 'It just needs...' He reached into the box next to him, pulled out the bird decorations and started putting them on the tree.
'Not those moth-eaten things again!' Thelma said, rolling her eyes.
'Don't insult my decorations.' Her dad joked. 'They've got sentimental value - they're as old as I am.'
'And they look it!' Her mum laughed.
'There! Perfect!' Her dad said, putting them in prime position at the front of the tree.
'I can't decide if I'm more worried about your mind or your eyesight, if you think they look good.' Her mum teased.
Her dad laughed.

Norfolk, England
Thursday 13th December
10.00am

'Can you get that?' Her mum called from the kitchen as the doorbell rang. 'It's probably the Jameses.'
'Sure.' Becca called back.
'Hey there.' She said, opening the door to Viv, Justin, and their parents.
'Happy fake Christmas!' Justin called out.
'Happy fake Christmas to you too.' Becca laughed.
'Hello, Becca darling.' Susan said, kissing her on the cheek.
'So good to see you.' Roger said, pulling her into a big hug.
'It's really good to see you both too.' Becca said. 'But come on in - mum's in the kitchen getting things ready and dad's just nipped out to the shop - he forgot the sprouts.'
'Can't have Christmas without sprouts!' Roger chuckled.
'I could.' Viv pulled a face.
More kisses and greetings were exchanged as they walked into the kitchen.
'Becca, can you make sure everyone's got a drink while I just finish up the Yorkshire pudding batter?' Her mum asked.
'Of course. What does everyone want? There's ales in the cupboard, cider and Prosecco in the fridge and I'm going to make up a jug of snowballs. Help yourselves. Or there's soft drinks for those who don't want to start drinking yet.'
'If you can't start drinking at ten o'clock in the morning on fake Christmas Day, when can you?' Justin joked, helping himself to a cider.
'True.' Becca agreed.
Susan started pouring herself a Prosecco. 'Would you like one, Thelma?'
'Yes please. Did Becca tell you that John forgot the sprouts?' She said, rolling her eyes. 'Honestly, I swear that man would forget his head if it wasn't screwed on.'
'At least the shops are open today. Not like real Christmas Day, eh?' Roger pointed out.
'Well, that's everything prepped.' Her mum said, putting the batter in the fridge. 'I think I've earned this Prosecco.' She said, taking the glass from Susan and taking a sip.
'Shall we go through?' Her mum said.
'Golly, that's quite a tree!' Roger said as they went through to the lounge.
'And you've got all the nibbles!' Justin said. 'Just like proper Christmas Day. Now where do I start? Quality Street? After Eights? Peanuts? Cheesy biscuits?'
'Why don't you do what you normally do, and eat everything?' Viv pointed out.
Justin grinned at her. 'Oh, I intend to.'
'How are you not the size of a house?' Becca laughed.
Justin shrugged. 'Just lucky, I guess.'

'Well, I must say you've outdone yourself this year.' Roger said a few hours later. 'Best Christmas dinner ever!'
'It was amazing.' Viv agreed.
'Does anyone want Christmas pudding?' Her mum asked.
There was a chorus of 'no thanks' and 'I'm too full'.
'I think my stomach will rupture if I eat anything else now.' Justin groaned. 'Maybe in half an hour.' He added.
Becca laughed.
'This has been great, thanks so much for organising all this.' Becca said, hugging her mum and dad. 'And thanks to the rest of you for coming.'
'It was a pleasure my dear.' Susan said. 'I'm just sorry that we can't stay all day like we normally do.'
'Don't worry about it - you've got plans.'
'I wonder what Christmas on the boat will be like?' Justin said.
'I bet you'll have a blast.' Becca said.
'It won't be the same without you.' Roger added.
'I'm sure you'll be able to suffer through.' Becca joked. 'You'll be in the Caribbean after all.'
'So, what are your plans for Christmas Day then, Becca?' He asked.
'Well, I'm flying back next Wednesday, so I'll be in the States for Christmas. Me and Ella have got some things planned - not sure what we're doing on the actual day, but her work have got a big Christmas party on the 22nd. It's at their boss's cabin and it's an amazing night, apparently.'
'Sounds good.'
'Yeah I think it will be.'
'Well, we really should be making tracks. Have a wonderful Christmas, Becca.' Susan said, hugging her.
'You too.'

...continued in the next chapter because it was so long I needed to split it.