Chapter 94

A/N: Hey there! Sorry that it's been so long, but I'm better now (migraine turned out to be medication-related and lasted a month in the end 😱 but that's all sorted now 😁)
I'm trying hard to get back into the story, so I've written this chapter. I think it's a bit crappy, but it moves things along and will hopefully help me back in.
C xx
***
Ah, there she is.
'Hey there.' Chris said, coming into the kitchen a while later. 'I wondered where you'd disappeared off to.'
'Hey.' Becs smiled at him.
'I got dragged into colouring on my way back from the bathroom.' She said, gesturing to the Disney pictures she was colouring in with Evie and Stella.
'You come and colour too, Uncle Chris.' Stella said, patting the table next to her.
'Okay.' He sat down, giving Becs a grin.
'You can have Mickey.' Stella said, handing him a picture.
He glanced over at Becs a couple of times, but she seemed to be concentrating on her colouring.
'So, are you looking forward to seeing the movie?' He asked.
'Yes, I am.' Becca said with a smile.
Go on, ask her. If she says 'no' then she says 'no'.
'Becs?' Chris said.
'Hmm?' She said, still looking at her picture.
'Do you...umm...would you like to go out for dinner before the movie?' He asked.
Please say 'yes'.
She looked up at him, her expression guarded.
'Err...'
She doesn't want to.
'Only if you want to.' He backtracked hastily. 'We don't have to.'
She opened her mouth to say something but Scotty came into the room and interrupted.
'Don't have to what?' Scotty asked.
Get lost, Scotty.
'Nothing.' Chris said.
'No, don't have to what?' Scotty pressed.
'Don't have to go out for a meal before the movie.' Chris said as casually as he could.
'Yeah, that's a great idea!' Scotty said with enthusiasm. 'We definitely should.'
It wasn't 'we' Scotty, because you weren't invited.
'It'll only be the four of us though.' Scotty continued, sitting down at the table. 'Because Nick and Ryan have got things to do, so they'll have to meet us at the movie theatre.'
Becs still hadn't said anything.
'So what d'you fancy, Becs? Italian? Korean? Seafood? BBQ? There's loads of great restaurants round here.' Scotty continued.
'Erm...'
Yeah, she doesn't want to, Scotty.
'You're up for that, aren't you, Becs?' Scotty pushed.
She hesitated for a second. 'Yeah.' She finally said. 'Yeah, okay.'
'Are you sure?' Chris asked. 'Because we don't have to - we could eat here.'
'No, I'm sure it'll be fine.' She said.
Great. It's not that she didn't want to go, she just didn't want to go with me.
'Excellent. So where are we gonna go?' Scotty repeated.
'All those sounded great.' Becca said. 'I like most things except sushi.'
'Okay, not sushi.'
'But could we...umm...' Becs tailed off. 'Is there somewhere that's not too...umm...public? More secluded?'
That felt like a kick to the gut.
She said that she wasn't embarrassed to be seen with me.
There was a slightly awkward silence.
'I just...I remembered what you said about how crazy things can get if you have your photo taken with someone.' She said to him.
Is that the real reason? Or just an excuse?
'You don't mind, do you?' She asked, sounding nervous.
'No.' He said after a moment, and he gave her a small smile.
'Why don't you give Carluccio's a call.' Chris suggested to Scotty. 'And ask for one of their more secluded tables.'
'Great idea.' Scotty said, getting out his phone.
Stella had been jabbering away to Becs, and tugging on her hand to try and get her to go somewhere.
'Come on.' Stella said, impatiently.
'I'll be right back.' Becs said to Chris. 'Stella just needs to show me something.'
Chris watched her walk off with Stella.
'Okay.' Scotty said, finishing his call. 'Table booked for four at Carluccio's and they know that we want to be low-key.'
Chris nodded.
'Oh, and you're welcome, by the way.' Scotty quipped.
'Hmm?'
'You're welcome - I got her to come out for a meal with us. I heard when I came in that she didn't seem too keen.'
Chris chuckled humourlessly.
'What?' Scotty asked.
'I was trying to get her to go out for the meal just the two of us - like a date.' Chris explained.
'Oh shit! I'm sorry, man. I didn't realise.'
'Don't worry about it.'
'Why don't I make up some excuse and tell her that me and Carly can't make it after all? Then you can still have your date.' Scotty suggested.
Chris sighed. 'I think that'd look a bit suspicious - she's far too smart to fall for that. Besides, she didn't seem too keen on the idea when it was just me and her.'