Chapter 77

A/N: Man, this was a hard one to write - it took about three attempts before I was happy with it. Hopefully it worked out okay and you like it - I know that some of you will agree with Ella's opinion.
*****
Wednesday 9.05am

Becca was busy making waffle mixture when Ella let herself in the front door.
'Hi Ella.' She said.
'Hey. No Viv yet?' Ella asked.
'I think she's still asleep on the sofa.'
'No, she's not.' Mumbled Viv, coming through and going straight to the kettle to make a cup of tea.
'What're you making?' She asked Becca.
'Waffles - I kind of need something this morning.'
'Why's that? You need cheering up?' Asked Viv.
'Kind of.'
'Why? I thought last night was a roaring success, eventually.' Ella said.
'It was, I'm just feeling kind of bummed this morning.'
'What happened? Someone fold a page over in a book? Something Earth shattering like that?' Ella joked.
Becca smiled. 'No, nothing like that.'
'So what?' Viv asked.
'It's stupid.' Becca hedged, not really wanting to admit it.
'Of course it is, it's you.' Ella teased. 'But tell us anyway.'
'I guess it's just...Chris is going home for Thanksgiving today, so I'm not going to see him for a while. And I guess that...I'm just going to miss him a bit.' She shrugged.
'He's only going away for a few days, isn't he?' Asked Viv.
'Yeah, like I said, it's stupid.'
'You have got it bad.' Laughed Ella.
'No I haven't.'
'And yet - waffles.' Ella pointed out.
'Bite me.' Becca said, making Ella laugh.
'You know, you could just go with him.' Ella pointed out a minute later. 'He's asked you lots of times.'
'Oh no, I couldn't do that!' Becca said.
'Why not? And don't say that you wouldn't want to impose - he asked you, it's not like you invited yourself.'
'Yeah, but, come on! This is Thanksgiving round his mum and dad's house. His whole family will probably be there.'
'And?'
'And I'm not like you Ella, the thought of having to make small talk with that many strangers just gives me the heebie-jeebies.' Becca admitted. 'Plus, Thanksgiving is literally tomorrow - accepting this late would be incredibly rude.'
Becca saw Viv and Ella share a significant look. 'What?' She asked.
'Nothing.' Viv said, giving a fake smile.
God, she's a terrible liar.
'No come on, I saw that look.' Becca persisted.
'What Viv is too nice to say is: Oh come on! We all know the real reason that you don't want to go, and it's not because you don't liking talking to strangers, or not wanting to be rude.' Said Ella.
Becca didn't answer.
'This is about you keeping an emotional distance.' Ella continued.
'Ella.' Viv said, sounding concerned. 'I don't think we should-'
'No, we should, we really should.' Ella said. 'Look, I love you Becca, that's why I've kept my mouth shut for all this time, but enough is enough. You're going to sabotage this, like you've done with every guy who's liked you since-'
'Ella!' Viv said sharply.
'I wasn't going to say it.' Ella muttered, guiltily. 'It's just, you tend to keep guys at arm's length.'
'So?' Becca said combatively.
'You like him, don't you? Chris, I mean. You really like him.' Viv asked.
'Yes, of course I do.' Becca admitted. 'He's very sweet.'
'You like him more than you've liked anyone...for a long time.'
'Yeah.'
'But you're still keeping him at arm's length. I mean, that guy has gone out of his way making an effort to get to know you.' She continued. 'Throw him a bone!'
'Jeez, whose side are you on?' Becca asked irritably.
'Your side, obviously. But we don't want you to mess this up when you like him so much.' Viv said gently.
'Yeah, I'm all about playing hard to get when I need to,' Ella said. 'But you've got to give the guy some clue that you like him, or he'll think you're not interested and give up.'
'I'm not playing hard to get.' Becca said, crossly.
'Maybe not deliberately, but it seems like he's done all the running, and you haven't exactly given him much encouragement.'
'I can't make the first move on Chris Evans!' Becca pointed out. 'Come on!'
'Well, I wasn't suggesting that you jump him, Becca.' Ella said with a laugh. 'You just need to give him some clue that you like him, match his effort. Like, how often does he call or message you or send you those cute good morning memes?'
'Quite often.'
'And how often do you do the same?'
'Less often.' Becca hedged.
'Try hardly ever.' Ella said. 'And how often does he suggest meeting up or doing something?'
'Yeah, okay. I can see where you're going with this.' Becca said.
'We're only saying this because we love you Becca, and we want to see you happy with someone.' Viv said seriously. 'But to do that, you've got to let someone in again.'
Becca looked away. 'Easier said that done.' She said.
'We know.' Ella said.
'I want to let him in, I do.' Becca said quietly. 'But it's just hard after...' she tailed off.
'Well, luckily for you, we're here to help.' Ella said, putting her arm around Becca and giving her a squeeze. 'Just start with baby steps - call him and suggest doing something.'
'Like what?'
'Doesn't matter what. The point is, you're inviting him.'
'He's not going to be about for the next few days though.'
'Then arrange something for when he gets back.' Ella said. 'Or, even better, invite him round now.'
'Now?'
'Yeah, invite him round for waffles.'
'I suppose I could.' Becca said.
'Excellent. No time like the present.' Ella said, handing Becca her phone.
Becca sighed and dialled Chris's number.