Chapter 68

She thought that she'd gotten away with it, because they were almost at the library before Chris mentioned the girls night out again.
'So are there lots of you going out tonight?' He asked.
'Umm..about ten of us I think.'
'What have you got planned?'
'I'm not really sure to be honest - Ella knows the arrangements as it's mostly people from her work. I know that we're all meeting up in a bar downtown and probably going dancing later, but that's about it.'
'So if I hear about a group of wild women causing trouble downtown tonight, it'll be you lot?' He joked.
Becca laughed. 'We're not that wild.'
'And how old is the birthday girl?'
Birthday girl.
She felt awful lying to him. She hated to lie.
Should I just tell him the truth? That it's not a girls night at all, and that Charlie is really short for Charles? But then he'd know that I'd lied because I didn't want him there, and that'd just hurt his feelings.
'Becs?' He prompted, when she didn't answer.
'Sorry, I zoned out there - what did you say?'
'I asked how old Charlie was.'
'Oh, 28.' She said, being careful not to say he or she.
'And she works with Ella?'
He's asking a lot of questions - is he suspicious? Did he notice Viv's slip up before?
'Yeah, Charlie's a lawyer like Ella.'
'Well, have a good time.'
'We will.' Becca said.
'Thanks for the lift.' She said, trying to change the subject.
'No problem.' Chris said with a smile. 'Where do you want me to drop you off?'
'Just out the front of the library is fine - you don't need to go round back to the carpark or anything.'
'You sure? It's no trouble.'
'Out front is fine, thanks.'
And it's usually busier out front, so less chance that someone will notice you drop me off with all the comings and goings.
'And here we are.' Chris said as he drove round the corner to the front of the library.
Becca looked up and saw with horror that Mel was standing on the steps at the front of the library. Just where Chris was about to drop her off.
Shit!
She put her hand up to hide her face so Mel couldn't see her.
'Umm...you know, now that I think about it, it would be much easier if you dropped me at the side entrance. Is that okay?' Becca blurted out.
Chris looked at her suspiciously. 'Okay.' He said. 'Are you trying to avoid someone?'
'What? No.' She said. 'No. Not at all. The side entrance is just closer to where I need to be, that's all.'
She saw his eyes flick from her to Mel, but he didn't say anything more about it.
'Thanks for the lift.' She said again when he pulled to a stop at the side entrance.
Thank God, there's no one here to see him.
'No problem.'
'Bye.' She said, grabbing her things and getting out of the car as quickly as possible.

****

9.26pm

Chris 🤪
Becs? You there?

9.47pm

Chris 🤪
Becs?

10.04pm

Becs📚
Hey there

Chris 🤪
Hi. Sorry if I'm interrupting your wild night out 😉

Becs📚
You certainly are, but it doesn't follow that the interruption must be unwelcome 😁

Chris 🤪
🤔 ??? Are you drunk?

Becs📚
😆 Not drunk - it's a quote from Pride and Prejudice, well, I paraphrased a bit

Chris 🤪
Ah. Okay.

Chris 🤪
Is it okay if I call?

Becs📚
No, it's way too loud in here - stick with messaging

Chris 🤪
Okay. Well, Rob wants to know what kind of movie you want to see tomorrow

Becs📚
Why? Have the plans changed? I thought we were going to be at his place?

Chris 🤪
We are - he's got a home cinema in the place he's renting

Becs📚
Really? That's flash