Chapter 37

A/N: Just a quick chapter. We're so close now! I'm really looking forward to writing the next chapter 😍😍
C xx

****

Wednesday
Sometime during the night

She'd tossed and turned for ages, trying to decide what to do. Should she go? Should she not go? Around 2am it had started to drive her crazy, so she'd made a pros and cons list.

On the one hand, she was pretty sure that it wasn't a date - he'd said that it was just hanging out, which definitely meant not a date, right? But on the other hand, it was still meeting up, and she wasn't sure if she wanted to do that. There were all the normal worries about meeting a guy - what if it's really awkward and I don't know what to say? What if I spill ketchup down my top? What if he's a serial killer? Then there were all the extra worries that came with Chris - he's famous, he's gorgeous and his body is beyond hot. What if I can't have a normal conversation with him in person and go all fangirl? That'd just be embarrassing for both of us.

Pros
1. Not a date

Cons
1. Could still be awkward
2. Famous and hot
3. Could still be a serial killer

Maybe it'd be better to just cry off.

5.04am

Meeting up's a stupid idea. What's the earliest I can call him and say I'm not going?

Is 6.00 too early?

What about 6.19?

Around 6.30 she gave up trying to sleep and made herself a coffee and watched tv.

Is 7.30 late enough? That's only three hours until I'm supposed to meet him.

Maybe 7.30 was a bit early to call - it was his day off, but surely messaging was okay.

Becs📚
Morning. Really sorry, but I'm not going to be able to make coffee this morning.

There, she felt better now. Decision made.

8.15am

Becs📚
Hi. Just wanted to check that you got my message

8.45am

Okay, I'm calling. 8.45 isn't too early.
She practiced before she dialled - sorry, not going to be able to make it, something's come up.
Okay.
But it went straight to voicemail.
'Oh, come on!' She said in frustration. 'Where the hell are you? You're not answering your calls or messages. How am I supposed to cancel on you if I can't...'
She tailed off as she remembered - he'd said his phone might be at the shop today.
'No!'
She had no way to get in touch with him - she couldn't cancel.
Viv came wandering into the kitchen, holding her head. 'Why are you yelling at your phone?'
'Oh God, I'm sorry Viv. Did I wake you up?'
'I needed coffee and painkillers anyway.' Viv said.
'Your head hurt?'
'Oh yeah.'
'You don't look as bad as I was expecting.'
'Well, I think that I threw up most of the alcohol. Plus I got up sometime in the night and drank about three pints of water.'
'There you go.' Becca said, passing her coffee and tablets.
'Thanks. So why were you yelling at your phone?'
'I was trying to get hold of Chris, but then I remembered that his phone was being fixed today.'
'And that got you mad because..?'
'I was trying to cancel something.'
'Like a date?' Viv asked hopefully.
'No, not a date. Very definitely not a date. Just getting a coffee and hanging out.'
'Oh my God!' Viv said. 'So why are you trying to cancel?'
'Because texts and calls are one thing, once you start meeting up and hanging out, that's a whole other level of involved.' Becca said. 'Also, I made a list.'
'Oh God, not another one of your pros and cons lists?' Viv moaned. 'Show it to me.'
Becca passed her the phone.
'Why's 'famous and hot' on the cons list?'
'Because it freaks me out!'
'Serial killer? Really?'
'Okay, he's probably not a serial killer. But he could still be a sociopath.' Becca said.
'Where are the rest of the pros?'
'There aren't any more.'
'How about the fact you like him? You like talking to him and messaging him.'
'Okay, I'll add that.' Becca said grudgingly.

Pros
1. Not a date
2. Like chatting on phone/messaging

Cons
1. Could still be awkward
2. Famous and hot
3. Could be a sociopath

'That's still 3:2 to the cons.' Becca said. 'That's why I was trying to cancel.'
'Well, just wait until his phone's working again. When's the non-date supposed to be?'
'In an hour and a half.'
'What?' Viv squeaked. 'You're still in your pyjamas!'
'Yeah, because I wasn't going to go.' Becca replied. 'But I'm going to have to go now, aren't I? I can't just leave him there waiting for me and not turn up. That'd be mean.'
'If you really didn't want to go, you could phone the place and get them to pass on the message that you're not coming.'
'Viv, that's even worse than standing him up - I'm not going to do that!'
'Where is it?' Viv asked? 'Is it some really swish place?'
'No, it's some little local cafe near him, I think. All I know about it is that it's got loads of board games for the customers to play.'
'You love board games.' Viv said. 'Does he know you love board games?'
'Yeah.'
'That's really sweet.'
'Don't get too excited Viv, as I said, it's not a date.' Becca said. 'I'd better go and get ready. Can you google the cafe for me and see where it is and how long it'll take me to get there?'
'You haven't done that yet?'
'Again, wasn't planning on going.' Becca called through as she walked into the shower.

******

Half an hour later she walked into the kitchen area. 'Taa-daa. See - ready to go with plenty of time to spare.'
'Google Maps says that this place is 45 minutes away!'
'Okay then, ready to go with a little time to spare.' She nabbed a piece of Viv's buttered toast.
'Want me to do your makeup?' Viv asked.
'It's already done.'
'Where?' Viv asked, peering closely at her face. 'I can't tell you're wearing any.'
'It's the natural look - you're not meant to be able to tell.'
'Oh, okay. You're dressed kind of casually too - jeans and a t-shirt.'
'He made it very clear that it wasn't a date Viv, if I go dressed to the nines and fully made up I'll look like an idiot. I'm doing what I would if I was meeting you guys.'
'True.'
'I am wearing my favourite Star Labs t-shirt though, if that makes you feel any better.'
They ate the toast and watched tv for a few minutes.
'What if this is a disaster, Viv?' Becca asked quietly. 'What if I can't talk to him in person and it's really awkward?'
'Then you just drink your coffee as quickly as possible and you politely leave.' Viv said.
Becca nodded.
'But you can talk to him okay over the phone, can't you?'
'Yeah, but over the phone I don't have to look at him. I can kind of pretend he's just a normal guy. But in person he's-'
'Hot beyond all reason?' Viv said.
'Yeah.'
'It'll be fine, and if it's not, if he does turn out to be a sociopath or a serial killer, then you can leave.'
Becca laughed. 'Thanks Viv.'
'No problem. Now you should go or you'll be late. Text me when you get there and when you leave?'
'Of course. Bye.' She kissed Viv on the cheek and left.

******

A/N: Are you guys as excited as me for the next chapter? xx ❤️🥰