Chapter 29. Family Tensions

Sorry to keep everyone waiting! With exams over, I'll be able to upload chapters more regularly now. The next chapter will be out near the end of this week, in the meantime, enjoy!

"Good evening." Nathaniel smiled charmingly.

He extended his elegant hand out, reaching to shake his uncle's hand, which he did.

His relaxed expression hardened once his gaze met Sebastian who stood behind his uncle. He noticed he was holding a drenched umbrella, in the process of closing and handing it to the servant who stood by the door.

"This is Olivia Bennett." He placed his hand behind her back, slightly nudging her to step forward. "Olivia, this is my uncle, Lord Magnus."

Her body went cold with fear, but she tried her best to face him with a tight smile.

"I don't think we need any more introductions." He said nonchalantly before turning to his nephew. "Shall we head to the dining room?"

Nathaniel nodded, everyone following behind as he lead them through the halls of the castle.

"How was the ride?"

His face remained the same, devoid of any emotion but boredom.

"Terrible, the sky was pouring so much rain I almost decided not to come at all."

Hearing his words the girl glanced at one of the large arched windows, noticing the droplets of water pressing against the clear glass. Back to where she lived before the rain was a nuisance, but now living in the castle the sound of rain was rather comforting.

"Well, we're glad you're here now."

When Nathaniel had his back turned, Sebastian sneaked a small smile at Olivia. Having no reaction to this, she glanced away from him and followed closely behind Nathaniel. It was only best not to spark any trouble tonight, especially not with Sebastian.

As they walked through the hallways, Olivia noticed his uncle had yet to acknowledge her existence. Even when Nathaniel introduced them, he barely glanced at her for a second. If Nathaniel wasn't here she would've thought she was a ghost. Perhaps it wasn't such a bad thing, to be invisible the whole night, not wanting to be noticed by the Lord's daunting gaze.

Eventually, they all entered the main dining hall as two servants held the doors open allowing for their entrance. The room was darker than normal due to the rain, the only source of light coming from the grand chandelier and a few sconces mounted on the walls. In the centre was the grand dining table, long enough for at least a dozen people to sit. The room was decorated with rich decor and patterned wallpaper similar to every other room in the castle.

Lord Nathaniel always sat at the very front, and so she made her way to the chair nearest to him. Once they sat, the servants started preparing plates and glasses to set on the table. Her nervous breathing felt loud amongst the silence that filled the vast room, eventually being interrupted once Nathaniel's uncle sat down.

"I've been worried about you lately my nephew."

She turned to Nathan, seeing his dark eyebrow arch in curiosity.

"And why is that?" He inquired with his chin resting on his palm.

"You murdered Lord Herriot" His expression hardened.

"Nobody disrespects me and lives to tell the tale." Nathan responded casually as if they were discussing something of something mundane.

She relaxed in her seat, thinking that would be the end of their small quarrel but flinched at a loud voice.