Chapter 20. The Dungeons

"You lived with your aunt and brother, right?" Louis asked before taking a sip from his glass.

"Yes." Olivia stiffened, feeling her heart sink as he brought up a difficult subject. She gulped and tried her best to maintain a mutual expression.

"May I ask what happened to your parents?"

She dreaded that question, it was always uncomfortable explaining it to others.

"They were killed by vampires."

His eyebrows lifted in surprise, not expecting such an answer.

"I'm so sorry." He then paused for a while. "Did they find out who did it?"

"Sadly no."

"That's strange."

The rest of their meal was in silence, it wasn't until Olivia eventually finished her meal when Louis spoke again.

"Well, I hope you had a fun day even though you barely bought anything." He spoke, crossing his arms as he glared at the one shopping bag on the ground next to her seat.

"I did and thank you for today, I really needed it." She beamed at him.

He smiled back at her and they began to walk towards the carriage that was waiting for them.

***

The next afternoon in the castle Olivia was relaxing in a bathtub, filled with warm water and bubbles that Norma had prepared for her. Closing her eyes, she rested her head on the edge, inhaling the lavender scent that filled the bathroom. It had been exactly a day since she sent her letter, and she wondered if Lord Nathaniel had read it yet.

She held her breath under the water for a few seconds trying to clear her mind. When she couldn't hold it any longer, she pulled her head out but felt the same as before. Grabbing a white cotton towel from a rack, she stood up slowly and stepped out of the bathtub. After drying herself, she changed into a loose-fitting nightgown.

When she entered her bedroom, she realised the door was left ajar. The girl was sure she had closed it before her bath. A white paper sitting on her dresser caught her eye, and so she walked towards it. Picking it up, she read it and realised it was a note from Louis, telling her to meet in the castle gardens. It was rather late, but maybe it was important.

Sliding it in the pocket of her dress, she was about to leave but then remembered something. The dagger. She probably didn't need it, but it didn't hurt to carry it with her just in case, right?

When she reached downstairs, she was about to go outside but was approached by someone. Quickly sliding the dagger in her pocket she turned to the person.

"Miss Olivia, where are you going? You should be in bed by now." Alistair furrowed as he scolded her like a child.

"I'll be quick Alistair, I'm simply just meeting up with Louis in the gardens."

He pondered for a while but then decided to let her go. If she wasn't back soon at least he would know where she was.

The girl had now reached the gardens, but there was nobody else there besides her. She decided to wander around in hopes of finding Louis. The sky was getting darker, and if she couldn't find him soon then she would return indoors.

A rustling in the bushes grabbed her attention, and she then realised that something didn't feel quite right. She turned around and began heading back to the castle, suppressing the shivers she felt in her arms.

She was immediately yanked backwards, almost falling to the ground when a large hand clasped over her mouth. Panic filled her whole body as her heart somersaulted in fear. Her first instinct was to attack whoever was behind her with her hands, but they were tied behind her back.