Chapter 18. Bite

Olivia snapped her eyes open, lying in a cold sweat on her bed. As she sat up, she felt her heart pounding furiously in her chest against her ribs as her hands quivered.

"Calm down Olivia it was just a nightmare." She whispered to herself as she steadied her breathing.

It had been exactly a week since the night that the intruders broke into her room, and yet she was still having dreams about it. She felt like a child again, afraid of sleeping alone in her room. Every night she was jittery, unable to ignore that feeling or paranoia as if someone was watching her.

Waking up in the middle of the night had become a routine, as always she would scan around her room only to find all the windows locked tight. The feeling of suspicion would only fade away slightly, but not completely disappearing from existence.

The girl knew she was completely safe in her room, but her mind seemed to purposely play tricks on her as she couldn't stop seeing the faces of the intruders in the shadows and corners of her room.

She glanced at the books on her table, widening her eyes when she had realised she had completely forgotten to put them back in Nathan's office. Hopefully, he hadn't realised they were absent from his bookcase.

Quickly getting up from her bed and leaving her room, she entered the hallway as she carried the books in her hands. Olivia was met with an unusual cold that pervaded the air, but she quickly shook it off.

Once she stood in front of his office door, she saw some light peeking through the cracks. Why was he always awake so late? Now that she thought about it, did purebloods even sleep? She knew vampires did, as her brother would sleep when he stayed at their home for the holidays. Perhaps pureblooded vampires simply didn't need to.

Turning the handle, she opened the door slowly as it creaked noisily.

"Another nightmare?" She heard his deep hypnotic voice that sent chills down her back.

How did he always know it was her? His office was darker than usual, but she could still somewhat see him sitting on one of his couches as a fire blazed in the hearth.

She slowly entered the room as her heart fluttered, and the room was silent meaning he could hear her rapid heartbeat very loudly.

"Mhm." She hummed quietly as she stood there nervously.

"I could ask Opal to put some sage in your room, it can help with the nightmares."

"I would appreciate that very much." She smiled, although he wasn't looking.

She walked up to his tall bookcase, slowly putting the books back hoping he wouldn't notice.

"You were reading about vampire history?" He smirked curiously, now standing behind her.

She gasped at his voice, thinking he was still on the sofa.

"Oh, I..." she drawled as she floundered for words. "I-I was bored so I wanted to read about vampires."

"Really?" He smirked as he arched an eyebrow, leaning against the bookcase. "What did you find out?"

A flush crept up to her cheeks as she fought to maintain a neutral expression. She didn't want to tell him she was reading about vampire mates. That would be too embarrassing.

"It was just a lot of boring information, nothing I can remember now."

Nathan looked at her with a haughty smirk, eyeing her embarrassment with amusement.

"I see."

The light from the fireplace allowed her to see his face clearly, and The Lord looked different. His skin was still flawless, but even whiter than usual.