Chapter 6. The Painting

"Sit." He commanded, pouring himself a glass of blood.

The Lord was sat at a round, marble table and opposite from him was an empty chair. Olivia ambled towards the table, sitting herself down as they were now facing each other.

The place was beyond beautiful, above her hung fairy lights that lit up the entire patio. They were in an outside secluded area, isolated from the rest of the gardens, surrounded by hedges and topiaries, serving as barriers to provide privacy for their dinner.

The sound of crickets chirping could be heard emitting from the surrounding bushes, as well as the soft humming of the winter wind. The night sky was as beautiful as always, yet tonight the Moon Goddess chose to conceal herself behind a billow of clouds as she watched them from afar.

The fiddly girl toyed with a lock of her dark, chestnut hair, lightly humming to distract herself from the awkwardness of their silence. Although she was not looking at Lord Nathaniel, she could still feel his menacing eyes on her.

"Have your wounds healed?"

Olivia nodded, averting her gaze somewhere else, anywhere else but him.

The Lord looked handsome tonight, she could see his face in clear detail now and tried her best to not stare at his perfect features. He wore a pair of dark trousers and a slightly unbuttoned shirt. She noticed that he wore a ruby pendant on a gold chain around his neck, the hypnotising colour matching his lips. His black shoulder-length hair was let down, and his scarlet eyes gleamed beneath the fairy lights.

He tightened his grip on his glass, inhaling deeply.

"Olivia, speak when I ask you a question." He scolded.

She finally looked up at him, and their eyes locked like a pair of magnets, but she quickly broke it off. She didn't want to be here, she didn't want to eat with him and she certainly did not want to talk to him.

Of course, she couldn't say that to him, unless she had some sort of death wish. The Lord was being somewhat nice to her, but deep down she knew he was only faking it. Nothing could hide the fact that he was a monster, after all, she had seen his true self with her own eyes.

Losing all of her inhibitions, she eventually opened her mouth to speak.

"Forgive me my Lord, but may I be dismissed? I would much rather have dinner in my room."

The girl could already tell she made an awful mistake, seeing him scowl and clench his jaw.

"What?" He growled deeply. "What's wrong? Do you not like it outside?"

Olivia sat there wide-eyed, his eyes were dark again and she knew this was never a good sign.

"No... It's not that-"

"Then what?" He snapped.

"I just..." Olivia murmured. "I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea, my Lord."

"What idea?" He cocked his eyebrow.

"You know..." Olivia said awkwardly as she fidgeted with her hands.

She hoped The Lord would understand what she meant but he just sat there looking at her confused. Perhaps nobody was brave enough to tell him the rumours.

"No, I do not."

Olivia couldn't tell if the Lord was joking or not, was he playing games with her?

"It's just that, there have been some rumours spreading around about us."

"And?" He questioned as he furrowed his brows. "They're only rumours."