Chapter 39: Grace

Things have been going great! Graduation is this Saturday and I'm really excited. I knew I was a smarty pants. Duh.

River texted me to meet him in the science lab. I wondered why. He doesn't really text me in school. He usually comes to find me and takes me with him.

But I trust River. And I love him. With all my heart.

I approached the science lab and I quickly opened the door. I immediately seeing candles set up around them. Flower petals all over.

Them

Her

Lyla was on top of River, he was sitting in a chair. His hands-on was her waist and they had been kissing.

" Hey, Grace," Lyla smirked.

" Grace!" He practically pushed Lyla off him.

I slammed the door and ran out the double doors.

I heard them open as I quickly dialed my sister's number because I don't have my car and the bus won't be here for another two hours.

I tried to see through the tears.

" Grace let me explain." He touched my shoulder. Making me flinch. " Gracie."
" don't call me that." I pulled away from him.

" what?" He looked hurt.

But I was hurt too.

" Why would you do that?" I sobbed. He tried to hug me but that's when I heard my sister's tires screeching.

" Leave me alone." I rush to her car and get in. She let me cry into her shoulder as she glared at River through the windshield.

" I'm so sorry Grace, are you ok?"

" he said he loved me, why did he do that if he loved me?" I looked up at her. She just pulled me into her again. " I don't know sis, I don't know." I heard the hurt in her voice.

She hates when I cry. It's always been that way.

When I was six, she was 10. I was crying after my pet fish died.

She started tearing up as I cried harder. She had put on her shoes and ran to the pet store a mile away from our house. She came back with a fish identical to mine that died.

She took me to the animal shelter. I sat in the play pin with the baby pups as they ran and over my thighs. Licked my face. Nuzzling into my chest.

I love puppies. I love the animal shelter. She hadn't taken me in a while. We always go together.

She sat next to me playing with a baby terrier.
" it will be ok, Grace." She speaks.
" I had my doubts about him but he doesn't seem like the person to do that." She rubbed the baby puppy's head. " they were kissing."

" I have an idea." She smiled. " let's go out for ice cream!"