Chapter 4

Introducing the Main Characters

The carriage owned by the Bruella pass through a dark passage surrounded with primitive trees that has cracks and scratches.

Kirsten's sense of awareness increased when she noticed the sudden change of environment. The sky a while ago was still bright since they leave the manor at 4 pm and it's been ten minutes since then.

But now, the sky suddenly became dark and gloomy.

"Father may I ask where are we?" Kirsten asked the Count who is surprisingly calm together with the Countess.

"We are currently inside the forest of death."

'What?!'

Kirsten forced a smile. "It's that dangerous forest in the book right? Then why are we here? Is this the only way to get into the capital?"

The Count grinned, "Yes my dear daughter, are you perhaps scared?"

"Ha-ha of course not father, I'm just worried about our safety."

'Tch, does he think I will be shaken that easily.'

"Don't worry, we are still in a safe zone. We will activate the portal here connected to the capital."

A teleportation portal is a gate that connects two distant places. It's a spell that a mage can only do with enough source of mana. Mana is an energy that enables a person to wield magic.

"Why here? Can't we just activate it in the manor?"

"A teleportation portal needs a lot of mana in order to be activated. The forest of death is a perfect place to do it since this place is rich with mana."

"Oh, so that's how it is. Thank you for telling me father!"

"You're making that smile again."

"Hmm? What do you mean father?"

"You look like you're planning to do troublesome things again."

Kirsten grinned widely. She can't really hide anything to this old man.

'Is it because I'm his daughter?'

'Is my acting really that bad? Well this is expected since I acted cold, strict and dignified woman in my my past life and now I am doing the opposite.'

"Dear stop being cold to your daughter." The Countess said and glared at her husband.

"Tch."

The carriage fell in silence once again and as they go deeper inside the forest the environment became more silent and creepier. 

"We're here my lord." The Knight's voice said from the outside and the carriage finally stopped.

"Mage Lemuel, start activating the portal."

"Yes my lord."

Kirsten slipped her head outside the window of the carriage to see what the portal looks like in reality. She only saw it a book and this is a good opportunity for her to witness a real thing.

Mage Lemuel walked five meters away from the carriage. He lifted up her arms and suddenly, the winds started to circulate in front of her. Not long enough something bright appeared and slowly creating a big hole.

"The portal is ready my lord." Mage Lemuel shouted from afar.

The Count signaled the knights to continue and the carriage started to move again.