Chapter 45

Resolve

The battle surged onward, seemingly without a conclusion in sight. Despite their unwavering courage, the number of knights dwindled steadily, each fallen figure a testament to their unyielding resolve. Yet, in a cruel twist, the horde of monstrous adversaries showed no sign of relenting, their onslaught an unending torrent that tested the very limits of their endurance.

The Duke narrows his eyes, assessing the formidable Orc before him. The Orc's heavy breaths are audible, its muscles tensing as it readies itself for the impending clash. Its eyes lock onto the Duke, bloodlust evident in its gaze. 

With a swift motion, the Orc lunges forward, its massive weapon raised for a crushing blow. The Duke's instincts kick in, and he sidesteps the attack, narrowly avoiding the devastating strike. As the Orc's momentum carries it forward, the Duke seizes the opportunity, slashing his sword across the Orc's exposed flank.

A deep roar of pain echoes across the battlefield as the Duke's blade finds its mark. The Orc staggers, its grip on its weapon momentarily loosening. The Duke presses his advantage, delivering a series of rapid strikes to exploit the Orc's vulnerability.

However, the Orc's strength and endurance are immense, and it quickly recovers from the initial shock. It counters with a ferocious swing of its own, forcing the Duke to parry with all his might. The impact reverberates through his arms, but he holds his ground.

The battle rages on, a dance of blades and skill, each combatant striving to outmaneuver the other.

"Still not giving up huh."

The Duke pulled away after giving a powerful slash at its chest. He breathes raggedly while preparing for an another attack. As soon it recovered from the shock, it raises its weapon again and strikes him with a powerful force. The Duke managed to avoid it and and with an unwavering resolve he lunges towards the monster gripping his sword radiating a blue hue. 

It was a move that the monster failed to immediately comprehend. While the Orc was in a state of confusion, without hesitation, the Duke gashed the Orc's neck. The monster let out its last groan before it shut its eyes.

Witnessing the death of the strongest monster, the other monsters immediately receded and skedaddled from the area.

The knights dropped their weapons and exhaled a breath of relief.  They dropped their weapons, creating a loud sound as armor and gear met the ground. The battlefield grew quiet for a moment, emphasizing their hard work. Tired but proud, the warriors enjoyed a brief break before preparing for what comes next.

The Duke surveyed the scene, unsurprised that half of the knights had perished. He lacked remorse, instead feeling a strengthened resolve to move forward. The main adversary have not appeared yet. He have to conserve his strength as much as he can to face this dangerous foe.

Clap

Clap

Clap

"You really live up to your name Duke Montero."

Everyone's gaze turned to the man who suddenly emerged from the shadows. 

The mysterious man was draped in a flowing cloak that concealed his form and a mask covered half of his face. Despite his concealed appearance, an air of peril emanated from him, seeping out and sending shivers down the spines of those nearby.

"Where is my grandson."

With a stern demeanor, the Duke inquired. He sensed his knights' unease in the face of the man's presence, but he's not affected of the man's aura. Now, he finally comprehend why Reinan begged them to not rescue him. The man is omitting an unfamiliar aura that they've never felt before sending shivers in their spine.