002

IBARA MIDDLE SCHOOL. 

Where to begin describing that ditch- er, lovely middle school?

Settled in Mie Prefecture, it is infamous for having students with the most useless quirks in all of Japan. In fact, not a single student, in time the school has existed during the era of quirks, has ever become a hero. Not many middle schools in Japan had such an unfavorable title left and it didn't help that Ibara Middle School has never been good at anything; quirks, academics, sports, you name it: they suck.

So it was no surprise that the third years of this school were not excited for the "U.A. Talk" on Monday morning, unlike every other Japanese middle school in existence. Instead of students talking about how they were going to apply for U.A., you had students checking their watches to see how much longer they would be free from the dreaded talk.

They really have to add salt to the wound, huh? Kamiko thought as she entered the cafeteria with her class, only the last rows of seats available. Gotta keep telling us we suck early in the morning.

Then, to put the cherry on top of the horrible morning, the lights shut out all of a sudden. Whatever was on the cafeteria's stage screen went blank. Kamiko checked her phone and saw that it had no service. 

"And the power is out," Kamiko muttered, smiling but there was no joy in it. "Fun."

One of her classmates frowned. "What the heck?"

"Just when we thought they couldn't make our day worse, huh?" another girl said.

"Great, just great. The mics aren't working then," Ms. Sato muttered as she told everyone to settle down. "It's not the end of the world! You can still see so quickly file in and sit down."

After everyone settled in, their principal, Mr. Tanaka, went up to the front to begin yelling because the microphones aren't working. "Settle down students! Today, you are here to receive yet another presentation of high schools you might go to next year. Ms. Sato, take it away!"

"Thank you, Mr. Tanaka," Ms. Sato said when she got in front of the crowd. Her voice rang out loud and clear.

"Woah, how is her voice so clear?"

"Are the mics working again?"

"She's using her quirk," Kamiko muttered but no one heard her. Of course, no one listens to the quiet kid.

Ms. Sato's quirk was Loud Voice. She could project her own voice as if she was talking into a microphone. It was a very useful quirk for those that had to manage crowds like teachers; Ms. Sato used it often on her students.

"For today's high school talk," Ms. Sato said. "We will be talking about U.A. High School: the best school for those of you aspiring to be heroes!"

That didn't stop the students from booing, Kamiko included. If they absolutely had to receive this dreaded "U.A. Talk" or "Boring Talk", it could be done without all the sparkly bullshit in between. Unless some miracle child had been born, no one from Ibara Middle School would enter a hero course in any high school.

Oh, if that blonde boy could see me today, Kamiko thought, reminiscing the events of the day before. If Riya-chan and Kyung-Mi-chan were here, they would be the only ones cheering.

"Silence!" Ms. Sato said and everyone shut up. "Thank you. We will be talking about U.A. High School and its various programs. Although its heroics department is the highlight and core of U.A. High School, there are many other programs there. I understand that most of you don't have dreams of being a hero. Most, if not all of you, have dreams of being a-"