016

"ACK! UGH! GAH-!"

Kamiko tumbled across the backyard before coming to a stop with her face just centimeters from the fence.

"You lost again, sweet daughter of mine. Did the training lesson with mom take you out?"

She sighed, putting her hands on her face. "Of course, I lost against you. And yes, mom also beat me with her amazing swordsmanship."

"Well, look on the bright side," her Dad said, helping her up. "You came close to beating me this time."

Kamiko rolled her eyes. "Haha. You totally didn't just trip me and our encounter, because you can't call that a fight, totally didn't end in a few seconds."

He shrugged. "At least you're here training and not in jail."

"Dad, that happened a month ago; it's old now. Besides, I genuinely think I wasn't going to be punished," Kamiko said as she wiped the dirt off of her arms. "I think they just wanted to scare me into not picking a fight with a villain again."

"And yet you want to become a hero."

"And my parents used to be the most feared villains under the Alpha Division. Ironic, isn't it?"

"Kamiko!" her mother's voice interrupted their conversation. She propped open the back door with her foot. "Riya and Kyung-Mi are here for your vocal lesson!"

"Aw, yes!" Kamiko threw a fist in the air and ran inside. "Coming!"

Daisuke Gushiken simply watched as his daughter practically sprinted inside the house, a little too eager to start singing with her friends.

He looked at his wife. "She hates training with me, doesn't she?"

Hayami Gushiken shrugged, turning back inside.

"I would too if I just got tossed around the whole time."

"RIYA-CHAN! KYUNG-MI-CHAN!" Kamiko high-fived the two girls as they went up to her room. "LET'S START SINGING!"

"Did you get thrown around again?" Riya asked, eyeing the girl's disheveled appearance.

"Obviously," Kamiko answered. "Now, let's sing!"

"Yeah, let's sing now that she can actually do that," Kyung-Mi signed, earning a smack from Kamiko.

"You can't sing, either," Kamiko said and Kyung-Mi stuck her tongue out. "Freakish cat."

"You look like a cat, too."

"Just her eyes, Kyung-Mi-chan," Riya said and Kyung-Mi rolled her eyes. "Though she looks more like a sleepy cat right now."

"You got that part right," Kyung-Mi said and Kamiko smacked the both of them.

"Shut up," Kamiko said as she sat down on a chair.

Riya and Kyung-Mi just looked at her with an unreadable expression.

Kamiko sighed, "But don't actually shut up, because I need to sing-"

"Oh-kei!" Riya said, tapping Kamiko's desk. "Let's sing!"

-----

"Good job!" Riya clapped as Kamiko drank water. "You're getting better every lesson, I'm so proud of you!"

Kamiko laughed. "You're just happy that I don't make your ears bleed anymore-"

"Yes, but no," Riya said, flicking Kamiko on the forehead.

Kyung-Mi sighed, attracting the attention of the two other girls. She had a frown on her face as if she couldn't figure something out.

"Kamiko-chan..." Kyung-Mi signed, still wearing that confused expression. "You're training your voice, you're combat training every day with your dad, you're practicing your swordsmanship with your mom, you're reading all this stuff..."