017

"YOU HAVE GOT to stop getting your hopes up."

Ando-san looked at a disheartened Azuma-san with an unamused expression.

"I know!" Azuma-san cried out.

Hattori-san nodded. "Yeah, we're Ibara Middle School. It's not like it's a surprise that we can't do anything."

"I know!"

Hino-san frowned. "So why are you even bothering to fight for the dance team?"

"I know! Wait, what?" Azuma-san looked at him in confusion as everyone began to laugh.

Well, almost everyone.

"Gushiken-san."

Kamiko sent her chicken bunnies tumbling down a hill of rice. She grabbed them with her chopsticks and sent them rolling down again.

She didn't answer.

Ando-san smirked. "Woah, Gushiken-san. You're going to make your bunnies all dizzy!"

The bluenette's head snapped up at the familiar phrase.

"Huh?" Kamiko asked, brought back to the school courtyard from the mess of her thoughts. "What were you guys talking about?" she asked above the laughter from her three other friends.

Friends?

She didn't want to consider them her friends and she didn't want to get attached to them. It would only hurt more when they all went their separate ways for high school.

"We were talking about Azuma-san's problem with the dance team," Hattori-san giggled, her pigtails bouncing up and down.

"What problem?" Kamiko asked Azuma-san.

"Well," Azuma-san sighed. "So, I love to dance. Like, I want to become a choreographer in the future. And I'm a part of Ibara's dance team. It's the time of year where we start preparing for the dance competitions."

"Actually there are only two weeks left," Hino-san said, winking as Azuma-san glared at him.

"Uh-huh," Kamiko nodded.

"But..." Azuma-san trailed off, biting her lip. "We have three members. Choreography is boring with only three members. And I have so many ideas for cool choreographies but there aren't enough members!"

"Oh..." Kamiko said and winced as Azuma-san banged her head on the fencing. "Ouch."

"This doesn't hurt more than the thought of the dance team captain from Yunosatsu Middle School smiling as they beat us for the millionth time in a row!" Azuma-san cried out.

"Yeah, they've won the dance competitions for the longest time, haven't they?" Hino-san pointed out and Azuma-san nodded.

"And I hate their captain!" Azuma-san frowned. "Always thinking she's better because her team has, like, nine members! All of them who take actual dance classes."

"Dance captain?" Kamiko asked. "Who?"

Kamiko looked over and saw her three other friends shaking their heads, widening their eyes, and drawing a line across their throats.

Huh?

Azuma-san punched her fist in her palm, gritting her teeth. "Only the most stuck-up girl in this world..."

"...Riya-fucking-Mastuoka."

Kamiko almost choked on her soda. "Huh," she said, swallowing the soda she barely managed to not choke on. "How stuck up is she?"

"She purposefully shoves the trophy in my face when they win," Azuma-san said, her fists trembling. "I'd kill for the opportunity to beat them at the dance competition!"