004

MAYBE IT WAS the fear of seeing people dying. Maybe it was the inspiration from her favorite and amazing Pro-Hero, Soratra's speech. Maybe it was the same demon that had possessed her mom and made her cook that horrid chicken and rice dinner.

Whatever it was that triggered Kamiko's resolve, it made her find herself running as fast as she could towards the villain. But she was not running straight at him, but instead going around as if her main intention was not to fight the villain.

Because she wasn't and she wouldn't stand a chance, anyway. She just wanted to free everyone being held in the villain's grasp, somehow.

What are you doing?! Her rational side screamed at her.

I don't know! Her instinctive side screamed back.

"Gushiken-san!" Ms. Sato cried out but was powerless to stop the young girl from running to the opposite corner of the cafeteria. "Stop!"

The villain cackled and swung his only free tentacle toward a large crowd huddled together in the corner of the cafeteria next to the stage. "DIE!"

Kamiko saw the tentacle coming straight at them. "Oh, crap-"

A cloud of white dust rose up as the sound of wood breaking and horrified screams reached everyone's ears, particularly one from a familiar bluenette that was cut off abruptly; sending chills down everyone's spine. The villain cackled maniacally, leaning back and laughing.

Ms. Sato covered her mouth with her hands, a silent tear running down her cheek. She had Kamiko for homeroom and social studies. Kamiko, although she didn't see herself as one, was an extremely good student, always ranking in the top five.

During a mock hero test, she got the highest score and Ms. Sato had brought that to the attention of Principal Tanaka. She was even going to have a conversation with Kamiko about possibly applying for U.A. High School. Although the girl's quirk was mediocre, Ms. Sato was sure she could pass with her wits.

But now, all Ms. Sato could do was stare in shock at the plume of dust as students and staff scrambled out frantically, running in all directions. But Kamiko did not emerge from there, and Ms. Sato's heart clenched.

The villain roared once more (he really wasn't much of a talker) and everyone's attention was brought back to the villain. There were countless people in the cafeteria attempting to call the police, but the cellphone services were down with the power outage. The people trapped in the villain's tentacles were writhing and screaming, trying to free themselves. But they wouldn't be free unless someone freed them; the tentacles were too strong.

And that's when it happened.

The villain let out a cry of pain at the same time Ms. Sato saw bright red coming from one of the villain's tentacles. It let loose, releasing the many students and staff trapped. They fell to the ground and scrambled out of the way.

Then Ms. Sato saw her; a familiar girl with blue hair ruffling around. She pulled out a sword, a katana, from the bloody tentacle. Then she took off running across the tentacle, approaching the next one, as the villain screamed.

"Gushiken-san!" Ms. Sato cried out.

-----

Kamiko thought the plan she had come up with in about half a second would actually work.

She was wrong.

A scream escaped her mouth when she saw one of the villain's free tentacles coming straight at the group she was in. Without a thought, her feet pushed off the ground and she jumped, narrowly escaping getting crushed. When she landed, she was on the villain's tentacle.