Chapter 3 - Exposing Sadness

A week later...

Location - (L/N) Residence, (Y/N)'s Room

Your POV

This whole week has been rather depressing. Ever since my brother died, I have been keeping to myself a lot more than I should be. I start to ignore my classmates and teachers at school. I don't join my family for family dinners. And finally, I haven't had it in me to write up anymore stories. I felt like I have officially hit rock bottom.

All the same, I felt like I should still try to go outside and get some fresh air, so I walked out of my room and headed towards the door, only to be caught by my parents in the end.

"About time you came out of your room." My father said.

"Yeah... Don't mind me, I'm just going to go out for some fresh air." I told them.

"How long do you think you'll be gone for?" My mother asked.

"I don't know, maybe before dinner." I told them.

"Don't be out too long, then." My father said. "Your pops is making his famous stew for dinner tonight."

That made me smile a little. After all, dad is the best at making stew, and other dishes, as well.

"Then I'll make sure not to be out too long." I said as I put my shoes on and headed out the door.
______________________________________

20 minutes later...

Location - The Park

I decided to go hang out at the park by myself after walking around aimlessly for 20 minutes. But now that I am here, though, what am I suppose to do? I don't have anyone to hang out with, and even if I did, they would leave right away because of how depressed I have been.

"I guess I came here for nothing." I said to myself.

Thankfully, I wouldn't be lonely for too long. Coming towards my direction is Kanon. I don't know why we keep running into each other, it must be fate or something.

"Oh, (Y/N)-kun, nice to see you again." Kanon said as she smiled, making me blush.

"Oh, hi there, Kanon." I said. Why do I feel so nervous around her?

"What are you doing here by yourself?" She asked, tilting her head.

"Oh, no reason..." I meekly replied. "I just felt like being alone."

"Well, do you mind if I join you?" Kanon asked me with a small smile.

I normally would say no to her, but for some reason... I can't.

"Sure, I don't mind." I replied as she sat down next to me. Then I noticed the small bag in her hand.

"Hey, if you don't mind me asking, what's in the bag?" I asked.

"Oh, I actually got something special for you." Kanon responded and handed me the bag.

She got me something... I'll admit, it was nice of her to do this, but I don't understand why she did it... I looked at what was in the bag and noticed that there was a jellyfish plush. It is cute, I'll say that.

"Well, do you like it?" She asked.

"Yeah, I do." I replied as I looked at it, then back towards her.

"But I don't get it, why gave it to me?" I asked.

She began to blush a little bit.

"It's... my way of saying thanks for helping me when I got lost since we first met." Kanon replied.

"Also..." She added. "I couldn't help but notice that you've down a lot lately. If there is something wrong, you can always tell me."

Considering that Kanon went out of her way to get me this, I feel like I have no choice but to tell her about my brother, huh?

"I guess I can tell you what I am going through, but it might take me a while to explain." I said to Kanon in a rather sad tone.

Kanon placed her hand on top of mine before giving me a gentle smile.

"Take all the time you need. I won't go anywhere." She said.

"Well, okay..."

I took a deep breath and slowly explained everything...

"You see... I had a little brother name Haruto. He was nine years old, and the two of us were very close to each other. However, he began to suffer from a terminal illness. He did his best to fight it, but then... he passed away."

While explaining, I had tears coming out of my eyes, just from thinking about him in general. Meanwhile, Kanon felt sorry for me. She moved closer and hugged me. Her hug... it was keeping me calm and less sad. And it gives me a warmth feeling inside.

"I'm sorry about your loss." Kanon said softly. "But it's okay, this happens to us all the time."

"I know, but still... it's not fair that they had to do this to a nine-year-old boy." I said and began to sob.

Kanon didn't let go of the hug, though. She kept hugging me until I stopped sobbing. After a while, she let go and gave me a smile, but I wasn't doing that, the smile part at least. I wiped the tears off of my face.

"Thanks for the hug, I think I should get going." I told her.

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Yeah, I think I just need some space for a while. Thanks for listening to me and giving me this plush, though." I said and bowed to her.

"N-No problem..." She replied in a depressed state.

I start to walk away while looking at the plush Kanon gave me. Deep down, I can now look at it, and think of her whenever I can.

"Thank you, Kanon..." I said to myself.
______________________________________

Meanwhile...

Kanon's POV

As I head home, I start to feel bad about what (Y/N) is going through. Losing a little brother because of an illness is never a good thing, especially when you're so close to them. I'd be in his position too, if I lost a family member I was close with.

I guess this also explains why (Y/N) is trying to ignore me for so long. Whenever I see, I tried my best to call out to him, he would ignore me, like he's got a lot on his mind or something. I want to help him, but... I don't know how...

"Oh (Y/N)-kun..." I began. "I want to see that beautiful smile of yours."

Seeing (Y/N) smile makes me smile, too. It's important to me and I want to see more of it. But... what can someone like me do to make that happen?

To be continued

A/N: Didn't write it in the chapter, but it's safe to assume that Kanon has realized her feelings for our main character. But anyway, that concludes chapter 3, and I hope you guys like it. See you in the next chapter. :)