Holding Out - Chapter Thirteen

The next day my mom gave me a call and said she would be in town. We decided to meet up at our spot and have dinner.

The restaurant was pretty empty when I arrived. It was a Sunday so that wasn't so unusual. I looked over at our standard table and my mom hadn't arrived yet, so I sat down and ordered our normal meal.

The waiter gave me a seductive grin and walked away with our order. All I could do was roll my eyes, not at him, at myself.

I couldn't help but compare him to Isaac. His short dark hair didn't shine as much as Isaacs did. I couldn't run my fingers through it and feel his silky locks caress my skin. His eyes were a dull grey color. They didn't see me the way Isaac's did.

I took a deep breath trying to force the thoughts from my mind. A month ago I wouldn't even have noticed but now all I could think about was men. One man in particular. Damn him. How did I let him get so close so fast?

I didn't have time to think about it any further because my mother walked in just in time. She strolled in the restaurant like she owned it.

I noticed a man who was sitting with his wife and kids give her very noticeable stare; earning him a slap across his head from his wife.

I laughed as I watched my mom take her seat in front of me. She looked effortlessly gorgeous as always. Wearing a simple purple top and dark skinny jeans. She completed the outfit with a pair of beautiful black stiletto pumps that added a few inches to her short frame.

I gave my mom a quizzical look. "Since when do you wear heels?"

"Since today." She said ignoring my questioning look. "So what's been up?"

I bit my lip wondering if I should tell my mom about Isaac, then decided against it. It was over now anyway. No need to bring up the past.

"Nothing much."

She gave me a skeptical look. "Ok, keep your secrets. You know I'll find out sooner or later."

"It's really nothing ma." I lied.

"You sure it doesn't have anything to do with a guy?" She asked.

She knew. I was just about to spill the beans when she broke in. "Don't worry, I've learned my lesson. I won't pry into your personal life anymore."