Holding Out - Chapter 19

​"So this is Jade?" She asked. "You're the one who has my son so head over heels?" she said raising an eyebrow.

"Son?" I blurted out a little too surprised.

"Step son." Isaac corrected.

Oh no, he didn't, he wouldn't. My eyes grew wide as I looked at him. His parent house. He'd brought me to meet his parents! I could kill him.

Isaac's step mom broke in before I could give him a piece of my mind, "not that I don't love sweltering in the sun but why don't we go inside where there's clean oxygen?"

The inside of the house was just as exquisite as the outside. Everything looked so expensive and everything was white. The walls, the paint, the furniture, everything white. The only color in the entire house was the flowers that were placed all over the house. The smell of roses and Jasmine filled the air.

I immediately noticed the crystal chandelier that hung as we walked through the foyer. Just like everything else in the house it was overly extravagant. The house was perfect... too perfect. I was afraid to touch anything or even walk on the floor. The only thing that made it feel livable was the flowers.

We walked into a room that looked like the family room and I saw a few faces around the room. One was an older woman who I presumed to be their grandmother. She was tall just like the rest of them. She had solid white hair and she was dressed in an expensive dress suit. Everything about her screamed elegance.

Then there was a younger girl. She was beautiful. She had long wavy dark hair and big round green eyes just like Isaac's. She must have been his sister. The next face I saw looked very familiar. He was the spitting image of Isaac except his eyes were a pale blue color and he was older. He looked like he could have been a model in his younger days. 

"Hey everyone, this is Jade." Isaac said. "Jade, you've already met my stepmother Vivian. This is My Grandmother Rose Phillips, My sister Bethany, and-"
I cut him off, "Ronald Phillips." I looked at Isaac with narrowed eyes.

He laughed, "looks like someone's in trouble." He stood up and walked towards me, "call me Ron."

"Nice to meet you all." I said shaking his hand.

"Well are you going to sit or are we supposed to build the chair around you?" Rose said.

I sat down, "you have a lovely home, did you grow all the flowers yourself Vivian?"

She got a look of disgust across her face, "Oh goodness no!" she laughed, "If it were up to me these things would have been gone a long time ago, along with that hideous garden in the back. However, for some reason my husband won't let me touch them."
I suddenly felt the air get very thin in the room. I looked at Isaac who was clenching his jaw. I grabbed his hand and gave him a small reassuring smile which seemed to loosen him up a bit.

"Well you two will be staying together in Isaac's room." Ron said looking just as tense as Isaac had a few moments before. These guys really loved their flowers. I almost didn't realize what he said.

"Together? Staying?" I blurted.

Vivian scoffed, "Oh honey we're all adults here. You don't have to pretend that you two don't fool around."

"We don't." I said defensively. She was really starting to annoy me.

I took a deep breath, realizing that everyone was staring at me. "Sorry, I was born in the south. My mother would have a cow." I said trying to laugh it off. Apparently it worked, everyone in the room burst into laughter, even the house keepers.

"Well we wouldn't want that would we?" Ron said still laughing. "You can have the guest bed. I'll have April get it ready for you."

Now I felt bad, I hadn't intended to make extra work for anyone. My mother worked as a maid for three years when I was a child. I knew how tiring it could be. I remembered how exhausted she would be when she came home.

Then it hit me...mom! She would slaughter me if she found out I met Isaac's parents before she met him. I slapped myself on the forehead; Isaac had some serious explaining to do.