Holding Out - Chapter 30

"Jade." Isaac said standing at his door.

"Don't speak, just let me get this out before I lose my nerve." I gulped. "Isaac I love you. I've been afraid of those words every since I was a child. After my dad died I started searching for something to fill the void, and along the way I found a lot of jerks. They all said that they loved me and that I was special because they knew that's what I wanted to hear. They lied to me and it hurt. I made a promise to myself a long time ago that I would never let that happen again. So I closed myself off from everything. I didn't let anyone get close to me. Not even my own family. Now I realize that I was so wrong. I should have never made you go through all I put you through just because of those idiots. Isaac. I am so sorry that I hurt you. I was so busy trying to protect myself from getting hurt that I didn't realize I was doing the same thing to you. But I know now that I love you. I think I have for a long time, but I didn't know it because I've never been in love. I didn't know what it meant to love someone or have someone love me back. You were right I was afraid and I was running. I'm not like you; you've had faith in us from day one. Even after all the crap I threw at you. You didn't lose faith in me. You weren't afraid to tell me and show me how you felt. I was falling for you more and more every day, and I knew it, and it scared me. But I'm not afraid anymore. I love you, I didn't plan it and I couldn't help it. I know you've moved on and I too late. I know that you're leaving for New York today. I know I'll probably never see you again but I couldn't let you go without telling you... that I believe in love now. You did that for me."

As I said the words I could feel the tears freely falling from my eyes, but I didn't care.

Isaac was quiet and didn't move and inch. I felt my heart ding a little more with each second. I knew for sure it was too late. I turned to leave.

"So, who said I was leaving?" he asked curiously.

I turned back to face him. "My mom said..." just then my mom and Tanya got off the elevator. Then I realized what she'd done. "You're not moving are you?"

"No." he said taking a step closer to me. "And I haven't moved on either."

"But... I saw you a couple weeks ago, with a girl; going up to your apartment." I said confused.

He thought for a moment, "did she have short blonde hair?" I nodded.

"Hey Beth!" he yelled and Beth came running to the door.

She'd changed her hair. It was no longer Long and dark. Now it was cut into a short bob and bleached blonde.

"What's up bro?" she asked. "Jade!" she exclaimed engulfing me in a hug once she saw me. "I was hoping I'd see you before I left."

"Beth's staying with me while my parents have the house remodeled. She's allergic to the chemicals they use."

"Oh." I said embarrassed.

Isaac leaned against the door and smiled wickedly, "So, you love me huh?"

I tried to contain my smile, "with every fiber of my being." I said, repeating the words Isaac had said to me before.

"What took you so long?" Isaac said before wrapping me in his arms and kissing me with a force I'd never felt before.

My mother and Tanya cheered as they ran to us. Isaac and I couldn't help but laugh at them.

Just then Vivian and Ron came out of the house. I scolded at her and Isaac noticed my reaction.

"What's going on out here?" Vivian said. "Oh it's you, how...nice." she said with disdain.

"Disappointed?" I asked sarcastically.

"Is this her?" my mother asked from behind me.

"Mom don't worry about it. It doesn't matter now." I tried reassuring her, but to no avail. She was already furious at Vivian who looked horrified.

"What's going on?" Ron asked.

My mother stepped right up to Ron and Vivian, it was quite a sight seeing her five foot frame going head to head with those two Six foot giants.

"Why don't you ask that blow up doll what's wrong!" my mother spat. "Just who the hell do you think you are talking to my daughter like that? I hope that doctor that put those two balloons in your chest is good because it's going to take surgery to remove my foot form your ass!"

My mother raised her hand to hit Vivian but Tanya and I quickly lunged to hold her back. I knew she wouldn't let Vivian off easily if at all. She was a different person when it came to defending me. She was even banned from my middle school for threatening to shave my science teacher's head.

"What is she talking about Vivian?" Isaac asked confused.

Everyone stood and waited for Vivian to speak. She looked as if she'd seen a ghost. She wanted to run, like I said before my mother was a tough one.

"I...I... just suggested that these two slow it down a little. Honey you know you've just decided to run for Governor. I was just trying to help.' She said innocently.

"Are you kidding me?" Isaac said.

"Isaac be realistic. How can this work, you two are from completely different backgrounds."

"Oh shut up Vivian!" a voice rang from inside Isaac's apartment. "These two are obviously in love. Even I can see that. Every since their mother died you've had your paws in Ron. I've held my tongue long enough. If you're dumb enough to believe that my son won't win governor because Isaac has this girl on his arm then you are as stupid as you look. For God's sake enough with the pink, your trash, we get it."

She appeared through the crowd and faced me, "young lady if you love my grandson you hold on to him. Don't let Ignorant trash like Vivian stop you from having what you deserve. It would be an honor to have you in this family."

She turned to Vivian. "As for you, I think it would be worse to have you on Ronald's arm during this campaign. I did my homework on you a long time ago Agnes. Or did you forget about that trailer park in Florida you grew up in?"

"I'm sure I don't know what you mean." Vivian said denying Grandma Rose's accusation. "I mean let's be honest she's not exactly white house material. Look at her upbringing." She motioned to my mom.

Before anyone could say anything else my mom threw a hard left hook right across her face and Vivian went down like a sack of potatoes.

Tanya quickly pulled her away and down the hall.

For a moment nobody moved to help Vivian who was still on the floor.

Ronald finally reached down to help her up, "Jade I am so sorry, and Vivian... I think you'd better leave. We'll talk about this at home." He said shaking his head down at her.

"So that's why you broke up with me?" Isaac asked.

"Come on, I think we should give these two some privacy." Grandma rose said taking everyone inside.

Vivian quickly ran to the elevator. Avoiding my mother who was being held against the wall by Tanya.

I shook my head, "I didn't take any money from her but I did let her get into my head. I'm sorry Isaac." I confessed.

Isaac smiled, 'I see where you get your left hook form now." He kissed me again.

"I love you." I said again.

"I knew it." He said back.