Holding Out - Chapter 20

The room was amazing, as I guessed it would be. I watched as April made the bed, "you know I can make that myself. It's not a big deal, really."

"Nonsense." She smiled, "I've been doing this for 20 years, makes no sense to stop now."

April reminded me a lot of my aunt, she was short, dark skin, and graying hair. She had a warm smile and she looked as if she would break with the slightest touch.

Her black and white maid uniform swallowed her and her legs looked like they could barely lift the huge orthopedic shoes on her feet. She looked very frail but the way she lifted the fluffy sheets and mattress to change the bed said otherwise. She moved with a sort of grace, it was like watching an orchestra.

I smiled at the thought of April directing an orchestra of sheets, "this place is really great." I said looking around.

"Yeah, you should've seen a while back." She said moving on to the pillows.

"So you've been with them a long time?" I asked.

"Yeah, I came along when Isaac was about five. Right around the time Mrs. Phillips took sick."

I could sense the sadness in her voice, "you two were close." I said realizing.

"She was a good woman, best boss I ever had. Kind and smart. She's the only reason I stuck around this long. I promised her I'd look after Isaac and Beth. If it weren't for that I would have left a long time ago, right around the time Miss Vivian come rolling though here."

She started to wipe the dressers and rearranging the flowers on the desk. "You know she loved flowers. She started that garden out there when she got sick. She said they were her last gifts to her family before she left." April laughed, "she thought flowers were the only way to say I love you. If Mr. Phillips ever came in with a bouquet of roses I'd knew he messed up somehow."

Then it dawned on me, that was why Isaac loved flowers so much. I felt my chest tighten when I thought of all of the flowers in my office that day.

"Look at me going on." April said interrupting my thoughts. "It's been so long since anyone around here has talked about it I guess I just got carried away. It's not right to pack people away like they never existed."

"I agree with you on that one." I said approvingly, "my mama always say's that we should keep the one's we lost in our hearts and that way they will never die."

"Well your mama is a wise woman."

"Yeah and she knows it too!" we both laughed.

"Well, I'm all done here. Sorry I chatted your ear off." April said collecting her things.

I scoffed, "no it's fine. It's good to have someone normal to talk to. This isn't really what I'm used to." I motioned to my surroundings.

"Well I'm here anytime you need me." she said as she turned to leave. Before she made it to the door she turned back to me, "you two seem like your really happy. Be good to him, He's been though a lot."
I smiled not saying a word, just as Isaac walked up behind April.

"I hope you two aren't talking too much about me." he said.

"And if we are?" April challenged.

"Then I will have to grin and bear it." Isaac surrendered giving her a big hug.

"Alright enough of that, I got to get back to work." She said as she walked down the stairs.

Isaac walked in and shut the door. He took a seat on the bed and put on his best puppy dog face. "So scale of 1-10, how mad are you?" he asked cautiously.

"You lied to me." I crossed my arms. I wanted to be upset but I was honestly kind of touched.

"I'm sorry." He said pulling me closer to him, "you were already so...delicate. I just wanted to give you a chance to get to know me before you were thrown into all of this." He said motioning his surroundings. "My life can be a bit hectic at times and I wanted to make sure you felt the same way about me as I feel about you."

I cocked my head to the side, "how do you know what I feel?"

"I do, I'm just waiting for you to catch up with me."

I wanted to be mad but he looked so innocent and handsome when he was in trouble. I leaned down and planted a soft kiss on his forehead. "Forgiven." I said simply.

Who was I to be angry, I had my secrets too.

Isaac pressed his lips to mine again. It was slow and passionate. I felt his hands slide up my thighs, as he pulled me closer to him. Before I knew it we were both lying on the bed with me on top of him. Isaac bit my bottom lip and it sent shocks down my spine as I let out a slight gasp. It must have turned him on because he let out an audible moan as he let his tongue explore mine.

His touch was driving me wild; I wanted to rip of all the clothes that were between us. Blocking me from feeling his skin on mine. Finally I found the strength to pull away from his embrace.

I pulled myself away and rushed to the other side of the room. I needed to put as much space between us as possible. I looked over at Isaac who was now upright on the bed. He licked his lips and took a deep breath.

"Time for a cold shower." He joked, "let's get out of here; dinner will be ready in a few minutes." He held out his hand and we started downstairs to the dining room table where everyone was already seated.

"Hey bro, I don't know if that's your shade." Beth said smirking at us.

I looked over at Isaac and saw he had traces of my lipstick on his lips. I reached over and wiped it away with my thumb and sat down trying to avoid eye contact.

"Wonder what kind of animal your mother would have if she saw that." Vivian sarcastically commented.

"So Jade?" she said my name as a question. "Tell us a little about yourself. Who is your family?"

"Nobody you'd know I'm sure. My mother is a nurse and my dad, before he passed away, was a construction worker."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Ron said sympathetically.

"No I'm fine, I know he's in a better place now. He was really sick before he passed away and now I know that he's happy and he's not in pain and one day I will see him again." I said with a small smile.

"So you're religious then?" Vivian asked.

I took a sip of water, "Well I believe in God if that's what you mean."

"Do you think people really go to heaven?" Beth asked me. I saw the look in her eyes, it was the same look I had when I lost my father. She needed answers.

"Yes." I said honestly, "with all my heart."

She smiled. The rest of the weekend went by pretty smoothly. Isaac's family was great. I still had my reservations about Vivian but Isaac said that she was an acquired taste.

Grandmother Rose, although she was a woman of few words, was one tough old lady. I wanted to ask Isaac if she was always that quiet or if she just didn't like me.

Beth was amazing. She ended up staying in my room with me all weekend. We did each other's hair and talked all night. I would defiantly have to make a trip to the hair salon soon. She tried her best attempt at cornrows but it was not a success.

It was pretty well for my first time meeting a guy's family. Now it was time for the hard part. Isaac had to meet my mom.