Holding Out - Chapter Five

I slept from the time I got into the house yesterday until it was time to go to work. I was defiantly never drinking again. The good thing was that I felt refreshed and ready for work. I thought back to yesterday when I walked home with Isaac.

I really didn't have the energy to talk him out of it so I let him walk with me. We walked in silence neither of us saying a word. When we reached my block I told him I could make it the rest of the way on my own. He gave me his business card and asked me to call him. I knew I wouldn't but I took it any way.

I watched as he walked off towards the direction we'd just come from. Part of me felt strange, like I wanted him to stay. I quickly shook it off and walked into my apartment building.

He may be one of the most gorgeous men I'd ever seen, but he was still a man. I wouldn't let myself be drawn in by a cute smile and a few smooth lines.

I think it was the first time I was actually I a good mood in the morning. I took extra time getting ready for work and I even sang in the shower. However, when I stepped off the elevator, that feeling went away.

Everyone was staring at me. I looked down at my suit to see if anything was out of order. My outfit was fine. I slowly walked to my office with all eyes on me when it dawned on me. Jason. He must be pissed because I left early yesterday. It's not like I did anything wrong. All of my work was done; I had no meetings, or appointments. I took a personal day; it's not against the law.

I started to panic more with every step I took. Oh no, I would lose my job. I won't be able to pay my bills. I'd become poor and have to start begging on the street. Then when I reached my absolute bottom... I'll have to move back home with my mom. Oh hell no!

I walked up to my door expecting to see Jason sitting in there but as soon as I walked in all I saw was wall to wall flowers.

They were everywhere, any kind of flower you could think of. They entirely covered my office. I stepped cautiously into my office and I couldn't believe the sight.

I have never been a flowers type girl. Usually I just ended up throwing them away or letting them sit until they wilt and die. However, I wanted to cherish these. They were too beautiful to ignore.

A few of the ladies from my office walked in, one of the women was even in tears. They commented on how beautiful they were and how lucky I was. I walked over to my desk where there was a huge bouquet of white and red roses and a card.

Jade,

You have no idea how hard it was to find you.

I can't stop thinking of you. Please don't leave me standing in the rain.

Isaac

                There was a card next to it with his name and number on it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I put the card down and looked around my office. I pulled one of the roses to my nose and let the scent tickle my senses.

I couldn't help but smile girlishly. This was the most amazing thing that anyone's ever done for me. I was speechless. My moment was interrupted when Jason walked into my office.

"These better be gone in the next hour or I'm writing you up." he said clenching his jaw.

I smiled and shrugged my shoulders, "sure."

He scoffed as he left my office, "don't flatter yourself." I heard him say under his breath.

                I was too enchanted to be upset. Normally I hated flowers, but somehow them coming from Isaac made it ok. I couldn't stop smiling and then I realized what was happening. The gesture was really sweet but I couldn't be bought.