36.

The small party was in full swing,everyone drinking,eating and having fun.Ricky was resting at the table after dancing for a while with Mama D,sipping on his drink.He looked around,his gaze landing on his best friend,the corners of his mouth turning up at the sight of her dancing around happily,her smile radiant and her eyes sparkling.He couldn't help but notice how beautiful she looked.It was mid February but the weather was surprisingly warm,so she wore an airy red dress with a jean jacket,her long hair curled.His smile fell when he saw Aiden twirling her around but pushed the feeling down and averted his gaze.
''You know Bowen.''Kourtney said and took a sit next to him.''You're not subtle.'' she said.
''What?''he asked confused.
''I'm talking about Nini?''
''What about her?'' he said.
''Oh please,everyone can see the way you look at her,more now than ever.Or the way you act around her.'' Am I that obvious? he thought.
He sighed.''And what about it?'' he said defeated.
''Ricky,you know she's with someone else,right?'' she asked him seriously.
''Yes,I'm very much aware of it Kourt,I don't need more reminders.''he replied,his grip on his cup tightening.
''I don't want anyone getting hurt Ricky,I just want to make sure you aren't trying anything.''
He nodded. ''I know you're looking out for her but I would never do anything to mess with her happiness,you know that.It isn't particularly enjoyable''he scoffed.''seeing her with someone else but I wouldn't do that.''
She looked at him sadly.''God Ricky if only you had realised a little earlier.''
He let out a bitter laugh.''Maybe.''
She placed a hand on his shoulder causing him to look up to her.''For what it's worth,I'm rooting for you.'' she said,causing a surprised look to take over his face.
''You are?''
''I am.I might not think now it's the time for you to do something,but I know there will be the correct time for you two to become something real in the future.''she smiled at him.
''Thanks Kourt,that actually means a lot.'' he said softly.
''Enough of that now,go get the birthday girl,it's almost time for the cake.'' she ushered him.
''Okay,okay,going.'' he said and made his way to Nini.He saw she was dancing with her mom,Aiden having left and talking with Carlos, so he sneaked up on her,hugging her from behind and placing his chin on her shoulder.
''Hey birthday girl.'' he said lowly causing her to involuntarily shiver.She turned around placing her hands on his shoulders as his landed on her waist.
''Hey!'' she said cheerfully and started swaying around with him.
''Are you having fun bubs?'' he asked.
''Yes,this is the best birthday ever.'' she replied.''Actually,you're the best for planning this.'' she said and placed her chin on his chest looking up at him.
Her words caused a light pink to cover his cheeks but he hoped she didn't notice.She did.
''I don't deserve full credit for everything,Neens.''
''Yes you do.'' she insisted.
He smiled at her and brushed a strand of her hair behind her ear,now her being the one blushing at the soft gesture. What was happening today?
Their small moment was interrupted by her mom's words.
''Gather around the table everyone,it's cake time.'' she said.
''You heard her,let's go,I think you're really gonna like it.'' he said and grabbed her hand.
As they all stood together,she saw Mama C appearing with the birthday cake,immediately recognising it as her favourite.
She turned to Ricky and slapped his chest.''You didn't!''
''Oh,but I did.'' he said smugly.
She couldn't believe how thoughtful he had been about every detail of this party,her heart melting at the realisation.
Her mom placed the cake on the table and everyone sang her the birthday song,her smile as big as ever,as she was surrounded by her favourite people.
She was ready to blow the candles before Ej interrupted her.''Make a wish,Neens.'' he said.
She looked around her,her gaze lastly landing on her curly haired best friend who sent her a soft smile.She wished she would never lose them or more accurately him,but she would never admit that out loud.

She wished she would never lose them or more accurately him,but she would never admit that out loud