49.

After Nini returned home she quickly ate something and moved up to her room and threw herself into her homework.She knew she was breaking her promise to Ricky about not pushing herself too hard but right now it was the only thing that could stop her from thinking about everything.Some time has passed or more like hours she realised,as she checked her phone to see it was 8pm.She felt her head throbbing so she closed her books,and moved towards her bed,lying flat on her back and closing her eyes so she could relax for a while.But just as she expected her mind started wondering off,the first thought that popped up being Ricky.She tried to stop thinking about it but everything that happened the night before kept replaying like a broken record and she hated it.She hated over thinking and she hated how anxious it made her feel.She hated thinking how the person who she hurt this time was Ricky.Her Ricky.And she knew for a fact he was probably at the same state as her,confused,nervous and thinking things over non stop.She wished she could go find him,tell him how he broke up with Aiden and how in love with him she is because she did admit to herself she never stopped loving him.But something was stopping her.She was scared and she knew for sure she wasn't ready to jump into a relationship with him after everything that happened.They needed to grow first.And she also knew that asking him to wait for her would be unfair.But she needed him and she had to talk to him,she couldn't bear to have a repeat of those ten days when they didn't speak at all.Ah fuck it,she thought.
She abruptly stood up from her bed,put on her jacket and grabbed her car keys.She flew down the stairs and went for the door before a voice interrupted.
''Nini,where are you going?'' her mom asked,with a puzzled look.
She turned around to see her.''Oh,I was going to Ricky's,it's for something important.'' she said.
Mama D hummed.''Okay,sweetie,don't take too long though.'' she said and Nini nodded and in seconds she was out of the door.She walked to the house next door with purpose but found herself faltering when she reached their door.Come on Nini,just knock,it's just Ricky.
She curled her palm into a fist before she lost her nerve,and as her hand was up in the air ready to make contact with the door,it opened up revealing Ricky who looked startled at first,before a look of surprise took over his face.
''Hi.'' he squeaked out.
''Hi.''
''Hey.'' he repeated.
''You already said that.'' she said and he scratched the back of his neck nervously.
''What,um,what are you doing here?''he asked and closed the door behind him.
''Oh,I thought we could talk.But it seems like you're going somewhere so I don't want to waste your time.'' she said turning around to leave before his hand enclosed her wrist tugging her back to him.She felt her skin burn where he touched her.
''You're not wasting my time,Neens.I was just going on a walk,to think.''he answered.
''Think about what?'' she asked curiously.
''Us,I guess.'' he admitted and let out a breath.''What did you want to talk about?''
''Us.''she said truthfully,the tension palpable.
''Well.'' he started.''Want to go on that walk together? I was going to the park,on that little spot we have,so maybe we could talk there.''
''Sure.Let's go.'' she agreed and both of them started walking side by side in silence,surprisingly comfortable.
As they kept walking their hands brushed each other both feeling a small jolt of electricity passing through them.When it happened again,Nini instinctively linked her pinkie to his,him not hesitating to wrap his around hers.Both of their hearts seemed to beat a bit faster at the contact but they opted to stay silent.A few minutes later,they reached their destination,unlinked their pinkies and silently took a seat at the grass.This was a place they had found at their freshman year of high school.They were hanging out at a park,and Ricky started wondering off and ended up finding a secluded area on the other side with a little pond.From that day it kind of became their place,going there frequently during the first years of high school especially when Ricky had to deal with his mom and needed comfort from his best friend.They hadn't been here for a while but it seemed like the ideal place for the much needed talk.They sat there criss crossed facing each other without talking for a moment intensity in their eyes.
Nini closed her eyes sighed.'' I broke up with Aiden.'' she admitted.
''You did?'' he was surprised.
''I did.'' she assured him.
''Why?''
''You know why.'' she said bashfully,looking down as she fiddled with a small piece of grass.
He tilted her chin up with his fingers holding it gently while looking at her.''I need to hear you say it Nini.I'm tired of assuming,I need you to be clear with me.Please.''
''You are the reason,okay?'' she said,a faint smile appearing on his face and letting go of her chin.
''I broke up with him because I realised that my feelings for you never disappeared.I mean I loved you for long enough to know that they could never.I guess I wanted to avoid them because I have been hurt because of them before.''she let out a dry laugh.''But I - '' she took a deep breath and looked at him,noticing the adoration in his eyes.Her heart fluttered.''I'm in love with you.'' she finally admitted.Relief washed through his body and a grin took over his face but it slipped at her next words.
''But.'' she started.
''What?'' he asked wearily.
''After everything that happened I don't think I'm ready to begin a relationship with you.'' He was ready to speak again but she cut him off.''Hold on.Let me finish.It's just,so many things happened before and now I just got out of a relationship with Aiden and I don't have any feelings for him anymore but it's still my first real break up.''
He listened to her attentively.''Okay,so where does this leave us then?''
She grabbed his hand and caressed it softly the way he usually does,not missing the light blush on his cheeks.''I don't want to lose you Ricky.I just need some time for now.'' she paused before she continued still holding his hand.''But I totally get it if you don't want to be friends or if I'm asking-'' he cut her off.
''Hey,don't say that again because there is no way I'm losing you.Besides,I think you're right,about the whole taking our time thing.''
''You do?''
''I do.'' he affirmed.''I think there is a time,soon,which will be perfect for us.But for now,I understand that you need time and I'll wait as long as you want.I'm not going anywhere.'' he said,her heart beating out of her chest,the butterflies swirling.
''We'll be together,when we're ready.'' he finished.
''When we're ready?''
''When we're ready.''he said and brought her palm to his lips kissing it softly causing a bright red colour on her cheeks.
''Come here.'' he said and laid down on the grass,her mimicking his moves.She leaned into him settling her head on his shoulder and nuzzling into it,his breath becoming evidently heavier at the contact.
She sighs contently before she speaks.''I missed you.''
''You saw me less than twenty four hours ago.'' he chuckles and his shoulder moved with the sound.
''Too long.'' she grumbled.
''Agreed.''he said and wrapped his arm around her.
They spent the next hour talking lowly between them about their day and trying to find constellations on the sky with the faint stars they could find.
Soon it was time to go and they found their selves walking side to side again,their pinkies connected again but something was completely different.Good different.
They reached her porch and both of them stood outside the house.
''So you're driving us to school tomorrow?'' he asked.
''Yup,don't be late.'' she warned him.
''When am I late?'' he asked mocking offence.
''Literally always.''
''Uh huh,whatever you say panini.Anyway,your mom probably wants you inside.I should go.''he said but before he could move she grabbed wrist.''Wait.'' she said and pulled him swiftly in for a hug.She wrapped her arms around him tightly,him doing the same, both melting into each other's touch.
''Thank you.'' she muttered.
''For what?'' he asked.
''For being so understanding.'' she answered.
''Of course.'' he said.
He proceeded to lift her up a bit ,her squealing a bit at the process before he settled her down.
''Anything for you.'' he said and brushed a strand of hair from her face tucking it behind her ear.It was at that moment that both realised the close proximity of their faces.She couldn't help but admire his soft features at this opportunity.His curly hair and that small curl which always seemed to peek out,his hazel eyes,which seemed brighter under the soft glow,his long eye lashes which every girl would die for and his cute little nose.And those lips,oh how she wanted to screw everything and crash her own to his.Her mind kept telling her no but her eyes lingered there,looking from his eyes to his lips.She wasn't the only one though,as Ricky seemed to have the same internal battle.He tried to keep his distance but seeing her,looking so beautiful,her bright eyes alternating from his own to his lips ,all he wanted was to kiss her for hours.When she repeated the action,both of them started leaning in,their breaths hitched.Their lips almost brushed each other before a noise coming from Nini's phone made them pull away.She checked her phone and cursed under her breath seeing the message from her mom.Damn the one time she should have,she forgot to put it on silent.
''Sorry it was my mom.''
''It's okay.''he said putting his hands in his pockets.''I'll see you tomorrow.'' he said and she nodded.Before she could say anything else he came closer and left a lingering kiss on her forehead.
''Good night Neens.'' he offered her a soft grin which she reciprocated.''Good night.'' she said.She saw him disappear from her eye sight and unlocked the door moving inside,an evident smile on her face.After dinner was over she was lying on her bed, her thoughts swarming with images of the evening.As she was ready to doze off a notification came and she begrudgingly grabbed her phone.Her annoyance didn't last long as she saw who the message was from,her heart fluttering once again.
Ricky🧸🤍: Goodnight Neens❤️
Me: Goodnight bubs❤️
She set her phone on the night stand and got under the sheets,sleep quickly overtaking her.That night she dreamt of bright hazel eyes and curly hair.