48.

The next day at school went by painfully slow for both Ricky and Nini

The next day at school went by painfully slow for both Ricky and Nini.Just like Nini had predicted,it was already a bad day.She drove to school alone when she usually would have Ricky by her side blasting music on the radio,in all their classes they avoided contact exchanging only an awkward smile when she took her seat next to him and she opted to eat lunch at the roof when normally she would be sitting with her friends probably making fun of Ricky.On top of that she attempted to avoid Aiden as well,not knowing what to tell him before they were supposed to meet,a thought which just made her more anxious.Ricky was as miserable as her.He missed their usual drive to school and their bantering during class.He caught her eye before she turned to leave from the cafeteria and was tempted to run after her but wanted to respect that she asked for time,believing she would come to him soon.At least that's what he kept telling himself.
Right now,school was finished and Nini found herself outside of Aiden's house.His car was already outside which meant he was there so she took a breath and knocked on the door.Aiden almost immediately opened it,giving her a small smile.
''Hi.''
''Hey.'' he said and moved out of the way so she could come inside.She dropped her bag on the couch and turned around to face him.Both of them were silent for a moment before Aiden cleared his throat and spoke up.
''Sorry for not texting you earlier.'' he scratched the back of his neck.''I felt really bad for the way I acted at the party,you deserved better than me lashing at you and I thought you wouldn't want to hear from me so I'm sorry.Really.''
''I know you are.'' she said sat on the couch.''But you were also right.'' she added.
He sighed and took a seat next to her.''I know I am.And I know the reason why you're here today.And it's okay,I understand.''he said and gave her a faint smile.
She put her face in the hands.''How can you be so understanding?''
''Why wouldn't I?''
''Because this is so unfair!'' she exclaimed and looked up at him.''To you and to me,don't you see that?And all that because Ricky was oblivious and chose to wake up when I was happy?'' she groaned.''It's so annoying.'' she said frustrated.
''Hey,hey,come here.'' he said softly and grabbed her hand to pull her in for a hug.She wrapped her arms around him.''And now look at this.I am here whining and breaking up with you and you are the one trying to make me feel better.''she said sadly.
''It's just that I know you'd never hurt me on purpose Nini.And I know you are mad right now with Ricky but I don't think this will get you anywhere.I think you should speak to him.'' he said.
She pulled away from the hug.'' You're too good for your own good.''
''You keep saying that.'' he gave a half smile.
''I,um,I just want you to know that you were never a rebound or anything like that.My feelings for you were genuine and these past months have been amazing.You know that,right?''
''Of course I do.I never thought you'd do something like that.'' he reassured her,squeezing her hand.
She stood up from the couch after a moment,him mimicking his movements.
''So this is it,huh?'' she asked.
''I guess it is.'' he said sadly.
She shallowed the lump in her throat and nodded.''We can be friends,right?'' she questioned.
He quickly nodded.''We will,for sure,but I need some time first.''
''Yeah,of course I get that.That's all I needed to hear.''
Both of them moved silently to the door,Aiden opening it for her.She turned around to him.''I'll see you around,at school?'' she asked.
''Sure you will.We have history together don't we?'' he tilted his head giving her a small smile.
She couldn't help but giggle a little.''See you at history then.'' she said softly before she closed the door behind her and moved to her car.She got in and quickly wiped the tear that slipped,and turned on the radio.She felt a weight lifted off her shoulders but that didn't mean she wasn't sad or heartbroken.Aiden was still her first real relationship and breaking up with him hurt and was far from easy.But now she had to deal with the real hard part,Ricky.